Spencer Sanders

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 29, 2016
US
I hope SS has learned the he is not Vince Young. A Vince Y only comes around once every generation or two. SS wants to run the ball, to be the hero and he wants it badly. His decision making skill is not exactly Division 1 level. Having said that, SS also has had a terrible o-line in front of him, which hasn't given him more than a split second, thus run run Rudolph, you know you gotta make it beyond the line.

I don't think we'll ever see his full potential. The o-line woes, combined with poor decision making skills, will guarantee we won't win more than 8 games a season. Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with that. A winning season is far more enjoyable than the dumpster fire that was the OSU football program before Gundy took the helm. What a dark and miserable long era that was.

For me, I hope Shane gets the starting job, either by winning the starting gig in practice or SS continues his poor decision making regardless of the cause. I just don't think SS is a starting QB, at least not a power 5 starting QB. Gundy is the most hard-headed HC when it comes to his starting QB. It's commendable to give the starting QB unwavering support and a guaranteed starting job. But, my goodness.. if SS doesn't get it done, Gundy will sink with SS, thus Shane's talents will be wasted another year..again.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I can't believe people don't get this. Any QB (including OU's QBs) would look pedestrian behind the sieve that Sanders has played behind. Give Sanders a decent O-Line that can run block and pass block and he could be a Superstar. He's been running for his life and throwing under extreme duress his entire career. His injuries have come from running for his life trying to make something out of nothing. The O-Line doesn't have to be elite, just good enough to provide sufficient protection to give him a few seconds more time to make reads or see holes to tuck and run. Even with our joke of a line, he has manufactured some highlight reel plays but along with that a bunch of INT's and busted plays which is to be expected with little to no protection.

The O-Line is the problem, not the QBs. That's why I'm not rooting for SI to step in yet because he's even LESS mobile. The OU game last year showed what would happen with SI and a porous O-Line. Both our top two QB's have the talent necessary to be stars behind a good O-Line or be victims of your misdirected finger pointing if things on the line don't improve. I would even go so far as to say the low rating on Sanders is a reflection of the voters assumption that nothing will be done by our staff and we will continue to suck on the O-Line.
I think every reasonable fan gets that, SS does not deserve to be shouldered with 100% of the blame however he has no pocket awareness, makes terrible decisions, has average arm strength, and terrible throwing mechanics, not to mention he’s injury prone and doesn’t know how to slide or run out of bounds. Now is it his fault that our coaches continue to ignore his strengths and continue to stubbornly try to turn him into a pocket passing QB? No, you can’t fault him for that, the kid competes with everything he’s got and he’s fun to watch for sure.
To me there’s only two possible outcomes for SS this season, either we play to his strengths and he gets hurt multiple times throughout the year and we bring in SI who can never get reps and never get comfortable playing or we keep SS “safe” in the pocket and our offense will be average, SI will sit and probably transfer, and our season will be average, which will please about half of you anyway.
I think you meant to say “non-existent immediately collapsing pocket” rather than “pocket”.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I can't believe people don't get this. Any QB (including OU's QBs) would look pedestrian behind the sieve that Sanders has played behind. Give Sanders a decent O-Line that can run block and pass block and he could be a Superstar. He's been running for his life and throwing under extreme duress his entire career. His injuries have come from running for his life trying to make something out of nothing. The O-Line doesn't have to be elite, just good enough to provide sufficient protection to give him a few seconds more time to make reads or see holes to tuck and run. Even with our joke of a line, he has manufactured some highlight reel plays but along with that a bunch of INT's and busted plays which is to be expected with little to no protection.

The O-Line is the problem, not the QBs. That's why I'm not rooting for SI to step in yet because he's even LESS mobile. The OU game last year showed what would happen with SI and a porous O-Line. Both our top two QB's have the talent necessary to be stars behind a good O-Line or be victims of your misdirected finger pointing if things on the line don't improve. I would even go so far as to say the low rating on Sanders is a reflection of the voters assumption that nothing will be done by our staff and we will continue to suck on the O-Line.
Damnit. You convinced me. I’m prepared to offer a new vehicle and free gas.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Besides a once a generation 27yo walk on talent former MLB player Weeden ans Rudolph, have we ever really had good QBs for being a top 15 offense in the country? If Gundy is in charge of QB recruiting I think he has done an abysmal job. ZRob is above avg but man our QB track record has sucked. Look what ou has done the past 7 yrs with their QBs….

corndog
garmann
Chelf
Kolar
Cate
Reid
Wudtee
Jalani woods
Etc
Walsh?

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Part of the problem is the OL, especially at OT… the other part is we have qb that can’t read the defense as well as doesn’t take care of the football. Holding the ball like a loaf of bread isn’t a OL issue, and neither is throwing off his back foot constantly.

If the OL improves as well as Sanders making a significant jump in his play, we’ll have a real chance of being competitive, but only if both make strides. Sanders needs to make a jump in his play this season to reach any sort of stardom IMO.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
So I like and am very pro-PFF metrics, but how you create a projection based of off their metrics is still pretty subjective, and can lead to some bad rankings. I’m not sure why they didn’t discuss the leap that QBs take after game XX, or how you played your last 4 games as a trajectory indicator which I’ve seen them do in other articles.

Long story short, I’m buying all of the Sanders stock right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Besides a once a generation 27yo walk on talent former MLB player Weeden ans Rudolph, have we ever really had good QBs for being a top 15 offense in the country? If Gundy is in charge of QB recruiting I think he has done an abysmal job. ZRob is above avg but man our QB track record has sucked. Look what ou has done the past 7 yrs with their QBs….

corndog
garmann
Chelf
Kolar
Cate
Reid
Wudtee
Jalani woods
Etc
I’m not a Gundy defender but c’mon you can’t hold back ups being back ups against the team. QBs play for a long time, they need the development time. Part of the reason Kolar and Wudtee stink is because they never got the field since Rudolph had the position on lock. Then with CornDog we have the #7 offense in the country in S&P. If you want to have a go at him for 2012-2014 go for it, but by the end of 13 Chelf was playing phenomenal.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Interesting quote from Gundy.

...and this ranking puts SS at #14. That's quite a delta between it and PFF.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/college-football-qb-power-rankings-2021/12/
14. Spencer Sanders | Oklahoma State
Sanders is an incredibly talented dual-threat quarterback, capable of taking games over for the Cowboys when needed. In two years as the starter, Sanders has rushed for 1,056 yards and 4 touchdowns while averaging 4.7 yards per carry.

Through the air, he’s amassed 4,069 yards and 30 touchdowns despite missing essentially three full games in 2020. He has a big arm but incredible touch on the football when necessary. His strength is such that he can hit out routes to the far hash while his ability to take the ease off his throws sees him regularly drop meticulously placed balls in-between zone defenders.

A gifted athlete, Sanders had the benefit of throwing to Tylan Wallace and allowing Wallace to do his thing after the catch. Still, a lot of yards generated on his throws have been by Sanders’ arm itself. He reads defenses well and has the wherewithal to know when to use his legs to his advantage, more so than most other dual-threat quarterbacks in the country.

Perhaps the scariest aspect for Big 12 teams is the fact that he ended the year with 10 touchdowns over his last four games and 7 scores over his final two. He’s rounding into form as a completely developed passer at what is the wrong time for Big 12 defensive backs.

Jan 14, 2006
Sanders talent has been undeniable since his first game against Oregon St. If we get the combo of improved O-line play and him progressing the way Gundy is saying we could be in for a special year.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
AND the last 7 yrs at uo? All of them fell in uo's lap: baker fell in lap, Kyler fell in lap, Hurts fell in lap, rattler: looked really good, but who wouldn't in Lincoln's system?
If you’re not playing the transfer system, then you’re not playing the whole game.

Baker is the only one you could say “fell in their lap”, but he never really had a home, wasn’t recruited hardly at all, and grew up an Oklahoma fan. He just walked on like anyone else did and beat out three other dudes for the starting job.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
There is a wide discrepancy on SS's ranking depending on the source. Pro Football Weekly ranked all 130 anticipated starting college QB's and they have Sanders at #14 overall, behind only Purdy and Rattler in the Big 12. Goes back to you can throw a hat over 3-8 QB's in the Big 12.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/college-football-qb-power-rankings-2021/12/

Hearing good things at of the Cowboy camp. If Sanders blooms we have a chance to play in Dallas.