Spencer Sanders

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

dirtyp

Wrangler
Jul 5, 2004
Saw that. IMHO, you could shuffle #3-8 in Big XII ranking. I don’t think any of those QBs have proven to be head-and-shoulders over the others.
Maybe so, but I would take Sanders all day everyday over the rest of 3-8. 65th best in the NCAA jeez, that is just ridicules!

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
I hope SS has a Great season, buuuttttt, me really likes SI....my quandary is that SI will only play if SS struggles (don't want to see that) or SS gets injured (see previous parenthesis)

Dec 21, 2008
Besides a once a generation 27yo walk on talent former MLB player Weeden ans Rudolph, have we ever really had good QBs for being a top 15 offense in the country? If Gundy is in charge of QB recruiting I think he has done an abysmal job. ZRob is above avg but man our QB track record has sucked. Look what ou has done the past 7 yrs with their QBs….

corndog
garmann
Chelf
Kolar
Cate
Reid
Wudtee
Jalani woods
Etc

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Besides a once a generation 27yo walk on talent former MLB player Weeden ans Rudolph, have we ever really had good QBs for being a top 15 offense in the country? If Gundy is in charge of QB recruiting I think he has done an abysmal job. ZRob is above avg but man our QB track record has sucked. Look what ou has done the past 7 yrs with their QBs….

corndog
garmann
Chelf
Kolar
Cate
Reid
Wudtee
Jalani woods
Etc
Corndog would've won the Heisman with Lincoln's offense...joking...maybe...
AND the last 7 yrs at uo? All of them fell in uo's lap: baker fell in lap, Kyler fell in lap, Hurts fell in lap, rattler: looked really good, but who wouldn't in Lincoln's system?

Aug 26, 2004
NIL Pay Rank
Any guesses at that order?

1. Casey Thompson Texas
2. Spencer Rattler Oklahoma
3. Jacob Zeno/Gerry Bohanon Baylor
4. Jarret Doege West Virginia
5. Brock Purdy Iowa State
6. Skylar Thompson Kansas State
7. Max Duggan TCU
8. Tyler Shough Texas Tech
9. Spencer Sanders Oklahoma State
10. Jason Bean/Jalon Daniels/Miles Kendrick Kansas

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
That's low. After powder and Purdy he is in the conversation for 3rd. I think Duggan has an argument for being better but the other 3, I don't see it.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Like it or not, OSU has never had the QB that could put the team on his shoulders and dominate. I loved Rudolph, Zac, Chelf, and BW. The Pokes have always been at their best when they have a game manager at QB. We have to have talent at the skills position and a line that will give them time. Someone that doesn’t try to do too much and shoulder the team - rather trust in the talent to make the plays and have the ability to deliver when the play develops. We have never had a Vince Young, Mayfield, or Mahomes. The biggest thing that Spencer needs to do is try not to do too much and trust in his guys. When he does too much, we suffer. He’s not that guy but he can be a damn good QB if he allows it to happen

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
The Pokes have always been at their best when they have a game manager at QB
And a strong offensive line. We had a patchwork quilt because of players kicked off and injured. It’s a lot easier to trust your guys when you don’t have to run for your life.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
And a strong offensive line. We had a patchwork quilt because of players kicked off and injured. It’s a lot easier to trust your guys when you don’t have to run for your life.
I can't believe people don't get this. Any QB (including OU's QBs) would look pedestrian behind the sieve that Sanders has played behind. Give Sanders a decent O-Line that can run block and pass block and he could be a Superstar. He's been running for his life and throwing under extreme duress his entire career. His injuries have come from running for his life trying to make something out of nothing. The O-Line doesn't have to be elite, just good enough to provide sufficient protection to give him a few seconds more time to make reads or see holes to tuck and run. Even with our joke of a line, he has manufactured some highlight reel plays but along with that a bunch of INT's and busted plays which is to be expected with little to no protection.

The O-Line is the problem, not the QBs. That's why I'm not rooting for SI to step in yet because he's even LESS mobile. The OU game last year showed what would happen with SI and a porous O-Line. Both our top two QB's have the talent necessary to be stars behind a good O-Line or be victims of your misdirected finger pointing if things on the line don't improve. I would even go so far as to say the low rating on Sanders is a reflection of the voters assumption that nothing will be done by our staff and we will continue to suck on the O-Line.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
I can't believe people don't get this. Any QB (including OU's QBs) would look pedestrian behind the sieve that Sanders has played behind. Give Sanders a decent O-Line that can run block and pass block and he could be a Superstar. He's been running for his life and throwing under extreme duress his entire career. His injuries have come from running for his life trying to make something out of nothing. The O-Line doesn't have to be elite, just good enough to provide sufficient protection to give him a few seconds more time to make reads or see holes to tuck and run. Even with our joke of a line, he has manufactured some highlight reel plays but along with that a bunch of INT's and busted plays which is to be expected with little to no protection.

The O-Line is the problem, not the QBs. That's why I'm not rooting for SI to step in yet because he's even LESS mobile. The OU game last year showed what would happen with SI and a porous O-Line. Both our top two QB's have the talent necessary to be stars behind a good O-Line or be victims of your misdirected finger pointing if things on the line don't improve. I would even go so far as to say the low rating on Sanders is a reflection of the voters assumption that nothing will be done by our staff and we will continue to suck on the O-Line.
I think every reasonable fan gets that, SS does not deserve to be shouldered with 100% of the blame however he has no pocket awareness, makes terrible decisions, has average arm strength, and terrible throwing mechanics, not to mention he’s injury prone and doesn’t know how to slide or run out of bounds. Now is it his fault that our coaches continue to ignore his strengths and continue to stubbornly try to turn him into a pocket passing QB? No, you can’t fault him for that, the kid competes with everything he’s got and he’s fun to watch for sure.
To me there’s only two possible outcomes for SS this season, either we play to his strengths and he gets hurt multiple times throughout the year and we bring in SI who can never get reps and never get comfortable playing or we keep SS “safe” in the pocket and our offense will be average, SI will sit and probably transfer, and our season will be average, which will please about half of you anyway.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
These are both possibilities, but there are more than these two options. If you’re intellectually honest, you’ll admit that. You’re making some pretty big assumptions. It’s entirely possible we play to SS’s strength and he doesn’t get injured. It’s entirely possible SS remains our starter and SI sticks around. I’m not sure what you accomplish by being so myopic.

To me there’s only two possible outcomes for SS this season, either we play to his strengths and he gets hurt multiple times throughout the year and we bring in SI who can never get reps and never get comfortable playing or we keep SS “safe” in the pocket and our offense will be average, SI will sit and probably transfer, and our season will be average, which will please about half of you anyway.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
You’re right, it’s also possible SS will win the Heisman and OSU makes the National Championship.

I don’t think my assumptions are that big based on what we have seen from SS and based on how many kids enter the transfer portal each season. I think if you took a step back and looked objectively it would be a bigger assumption to assume SS will last an entire season without getting hurt as opposed to getting hurt. No?

As for SI transferring, 2500 players have entered the portal since the beginning of last season, that is the reality like it or not. You don’t think that if SS starts this season that means he will probably start next season as well? Would you want SI to sit on the bench if he was your child? Sure the selfish OSU fan in me wants him to stay but absolutely no one would blame him if he left.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
You’re right, it’s also possible SS will win the Heisman and OSU makes the National Championship.

I don’t think my assumptions are that big based on what we have seen from SS and based on how many kids enter the transfer portal each season. I think if you took a step back and looked objectively it would be a bigger assumption to assume SS will last an entire season without getting hurt as opposed to getting hurt. No?

As for SI transferring, 2500 players have entered the portal since the beginning of last season, that is the reality like it or not. You don’t think that if SS starts this season that means he will probably start next season as well? Would you want SI to sit on the bench if he was your child? Sure the selfish OSU fan in me wants him to stay but absolutely no one would blame him if he left.
Intellectual dishonesty it is then. Got it. It’s amazing how many posters on this board are Nostradamus.

Jan 14, 2006
Watch the last two games from last year. If you set that as your baseline for SS, he's top 3 in the conference. Add to that the fact that he finally got a real off-season with a real qb coach and I'm expecting good things.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
T
Watch the last two games from last year. If you set that as your baseline for SS, he's top 3 in the conference. Add to that the fact that he finally got a real off-season with a real qb coach and I'm expecting good things.
That’s a fair point regarding last offseason. Obviously he has the talent, so it’s time to put it all together.