Spencer Sanders Update

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
It sounds like Coach Gundy is considering playing both quarterbacks. We'll have to wait and see though. This could just be gamesmanship so that Iowa State doesn't know who to prepare for.

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...ght-use-multiple-QBs-vs-Iowa-State-153257985/
“We’re in good shape. We’ve got three guys that are healthy and practicing. So we’re in just as good of shape as when we started the season,” Gundy said. “We’re alternating reps and we might play both, I’m not sure right now. We continue to get them quality work and Spencer’s healthy, obviously, Shane’s played pretty good. I’m just glad to have a couple of guys that can play.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
It sounds like Coach Gundy is considering playing both quarterbacks. We'll have to wait and see though. This could just be gamesmanship so that Iowa State doesn't know who to prepare for.

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...ght-use-multiple-QBs-vs-Iowa-State-153257985/
“We’re in good shape. We’ve got three guys that are healthy and practicing. So we’re in just as good of shape as when we started the season,” Gundy said. “We’re alternating reps and we might play both, I’m not sure right now. We continue to get them quality work and Spencer’s healthy, obviously, Shane’s played pretty good. I’m just glad to have a couple of guys that can play.
I would watch that video, which @CasperPoke11 posted. It was coach speak.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I am quite sure Campbell and the ISU D-Coordinator are kicking it in the office and saying to each other, "Damn it, Gundy's been reading Orangepower again and complicating our lives,"

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
It would not surprise me either way Spencer has played 2 series since last November. Had no spring practice and a abbreviated preseason.

Shane is a true freshman who has never played in a game of this importance. I think Gundy would be smart to prepare both and go with the hot hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Shane will be the starter. Mark it down. Even GoPokes has hinted strongly that it will be Shane.
FWIW on the Cowboy Insider Podcast this week RA/Dave H said Sanders is 100%. If SI starts that will go completely against how Gundy has handled QBs up to this point in his career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
US
FWIW on the Cowboy Insider Podcast this week RA/Dave H said Sanders is 100%. If SI starts that will go completely against how he has handled QBs up to this point in his career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We'll find out tomorrow. Sanders is an injury prone turnover machine, plus he's not an accurate passer, not even close. I really hope SI starts and will remain the starter until his eligibility is exhausted.

Gundy did say that the offense hadn't flowed in years like it did in the Kansas game.

I would surmise there is a chance that SS or SI will transfer without the starting gig at QB. Maybe not tho. But SI obviously has a much higher ceiling in terms of passing, which passing, especially huge yardage passing, is essential for the offense to have any chance of having a running game.

I think 20-30 points a game is the ceiling with Sanders at the helm. With SI at the helm,.I think the offense will have no problem scoring 40-50 points a game.

Perhaps SI and SS will be the next rendition of Rudolph/Walsh tho.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
We have to remember that Spencer Sanders has only played 2 series this year. He drove the team right down field to score in his first series and the second series ended on a botched handoff after a bad snap. I'm excited to see how much he's developed over the past year. I don't think anyone really knows yet due to his limited action.

I have to believe that Sanders will start because Coach Gundy always played upperclassmen over true freshman at quarterback. I think there's a chance that Illingworth could play some as well though since they've been splitting snaps in practice.

Tomorrow can't get here fast enough. It seems like it's been forever since we've played a game.