South Carolina Sanctions - Lamont Evans

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Sanctions were announced today against the South Carolina men's basketball program for the actions of Lamont Evans.

"As a result of Evans’ actions, South Carolina self-imposed several penalties, which the NCAA accepted. Those penalties include two years probation, a $5,000 fine and various limits placed on recruiting during the 2020-21 and/or 2021-22 academic years, according to an official NCAA release.

"A three-year investigation conducted by the DOJ and NCAA found that Evans accepted “approximately $3,300 and $5,800 in bribes from an individual associated with a professional sports agent,” according to the NCAA release.

The notice alleged that Evans took money in the form of bribes in exchange for trying to sway former USC point guard P.J. Dozier and influence him to sign with a specific agency when he turned pro. It did not allege any wrongdoing by the school, head coach Frank Martin or any present staff."

From The State: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...ina/usc-mens-basketball/article249511580.html

I'll just leave this here.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

PrincetonPoke23

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2011
San Francisco, CA
You (meaning all of us) have a voice on Twitter. Every single person that has Twitter needs to go on and spread this as much as possible. Media people are already catching on. THIS IS A JOKE. A complete double standard for two schools. Spread this sham (tweets below) so Dick Vitale and others catch on.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
If the NCAA chooses to not reduce OSU's punishment, can OSU take this to court?

This decision clearly goes against the precedent the NCAA set with the OSU situation.

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
If the NCAA chooses to not reduce OSU's punishment, can OSU take this to court?

This decision clearly goes against the precedent the NCAA set with the OSU situation.

I wonder the same thing. I've seen articles suggesting they might take it to court. Any lawyers on here that can provide insight if they actually have a case though?

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I wonder the same thing. I've seen articles suggesting they might take it to court. Any lawyers on here that can provide insight if they actually have a case though?
Not a lawyer. But one of our basic legal principles in this country, whether you are talking about your local HOA or a federal prosecutor, is that of equal treatment. Of course it would all come down to the details and what is provable.

Ideally, our penalty would be struck down in the appeals process, and then this is all made right. Seems at least possible based on this SC ruling. Can't say it's likely, as there is no telling what the NCAA will do on any given day.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
The Corrupt NCAA Enforcement Committee strikes again. What a joke!! This entire ordeal has been the last straw for me as it relates to truly believing collegiate sports still exists. The term student athlete is the most outrageous cover for what is actually semi-pro sports.

NCAA organization is not equipped to deal with this semi-pro world, so they “bully” those schools with the least amount of financial clout to impact their survival. ”Hey...look how tough we are we showed them.”

Holder better be prepared to file a legal injunction when they uphold the ruling and deny the appeal. If he doesn’t he should be fired. Stand up for your school, man!!

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Just perusing the ncaa infringement committee. There is one sooner attorney on the committee and a former sooner coach in there. But the answer maybe that South Carolina has a former bball player on that committee. Bobby Cremins

Then again, it’s a bunch of lawyers. Who knows the process?

https://www.ncaa.org/ncaa-division-i-committee-infractions-roster

Sep 30, 2013
plus.google.com
https://247sports.com/college/louis...vW3FWETArgXFp0tM3pj-rsnKxMGxVNHCGm3rX_Qx4uLjI

I feel like this is precedent that all of our sanctions should be overturned.
I hope I'm wrong but it likely won't be. Until there is a viable alternative to the NCAA, they'll continue pulling this sort of nonsense. At best, the NCAA will delay addressing the appeal until after Cade plays in The Tournament then hammer oSu Basketball next season.

Speaking of appeals, has there ever been a successful appeal to a postseason ban?

Sep 30, 2013
plus.google.com
I hope I'm wrong but it likely won't be. Until there is a viable alternative to the NCAA, they'll continue pulling this sort of nonsense. At best, the NCAA will delay addressing the appeal until after Cade plays in The Tournament then hammer oSu Basketball next season.

Speaking of appeals, has there ever been a successful appeal to a postseason ban?
Well, this looks promising...

NCAA overturns sanctions against Georgia Tech men's basketball program on appeal

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Well, this looks promising...

NCAA overturns sanctions against Georgia Tech men's basketball program on appeal
I agree. Between this, and South Carolina, I believe precedent is now set. If they rule any way OTHER than to overturn, then they have opened themselves up to a lawsuit big time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I agree. Between this, and South Carolina, I believe precedent is now set. If they rule any way OTHER than to overturn, then they have opened themselves up to a lawsuit big time.
The thing about lawsuits is you barely need even a prayer of winning to file one. And I'm sure we could get an injunction allowing us to play until the lawsuit is heard. Given the speed at which the ncaa moves and the justice system in general, especially this year, March Madness will be long over before this issue is settled.

Based on South Carolina and Georgia Tech outcomes I think we can reasonably hope for an overturn of the ban, but either way we won't see its effect this year.