Something something corporate tax is too high...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
I normally am a fan of Saagar Enjeti (he is one of my favorite Twitter follows), but that was 7 minutes wasted. They talked in circles the entire time.

Oct 29, 2016
US
You know this country has severe morality issues, when Republicans have no problem with corporate welfare, but are against social welfare. Of all welfare, aocial welfare isn't the problem. If averaged out to every citizen, each citizen pays $6,000 a year in corporate welfare (again, that is the average for everyone). If you make more than $72,000 a year, you're paying $6,000 a year in corporate welfare, all so that stock owners, board members, etc, line their pockets with even far more cash. They're the ones paying lobbyists obscene monies to bribe politicians. Make no mistake.. they literally give politicians cash, expensive jewelry, paid for vacations for their entire family, and so on. Whilst lobbying is legal for those in our government, we citizens would go to prison for doing the same thing.

Back to corporate welfare. That $6,000 is something that no family would have to pay if we truly lived in a competitive but well-regulated free-market economy. But, we don't. Top 1% of US households hold 15 times more wealth than bottom 50% combined. That's because the likes of Goldman Sachs created the "Trickle Down Theory of Economics" via Reagan administration. In reality, Trickle Down Theory is why the top 1% have aquired all new wealth the US created since its implementation.

Corporate welfare is a disgrace. We could eliminate child poverty, which the US has highest percentage of child poverty of all developed countries, if corporate America would pay their fair share, instead of making the rich even more rich.

I will never understand how people support Republicans. I know, I know. Guns and god,. right? Oklahoma's governor quickly denounced new gun laws few days ago.. he held a press conference to voice how he thinks it's wrong to implement gun laws. Meanwhile, 3.1 million children die in the US every year due to lack of food and healthcare.. you won't hear Republicans saying we must help those children. Nope. They sure don't. And most of them consider themselves as Christian.. yet their ideologies are the opposite of everything Jesus preached. Those Republicans who do consider themselves as a Christian yet do not support helping the poor and impoverished are 100% hypocrites.

Jul 23, 2018
USA
I will never understand how people support Republicans. I know, I know. Guns and god,. right? Oklahoma's governor quickly denounced new gun laws few days ago.. he held a press conference to voice how he thinks it's wrong to implement gun laws. Meanwhile, 3.1 million children die in the US every year due to lack of food and healthcare.. you won't hear Republicans saying we must help those children. Nope. They sure don't. And most of them consider themselves as Christian.. yet their ideologies are the opposite of everything Jesus preached. Those Republicans who do consider themselves as a Christian yet do not support helping the poor and impoverished are 100% hypocrites.
The United States is the most charitable country in the world, and conservatives are more charitable than leftists. Non-leftists believe we spend our money better than bureaucrats.

How Political Ideology Influences Charitable Giving - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
Which Political Party Is More Charitable? | National Review

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
You know this country has severe morality issues, when Republicans have no problem with corporate welfare, but are against social welfare. Of all welfare, aocial welfare isn't the problem. If averaged out to every citizen, each citizen pays $6,000 a year in corporate welfare (again, that is the average for everyone). If you make more than $72,000 a year, you're paying $6,000 a year in corporate welfare, all so that stock owners, board members, etc, line their pockets with even far more cash. They're the ones paying lobbyists obscene monies to bribe politicians. Make no mistake.. they literally give politicians cash, expensive jewelry, paid for vacations for their entire family, and so on. Whilst lobbying is legal for those in our government, we citizens would go to prison for doing the same thing.

Back to corporate welfare. That $6,000 is something that no family would have to pay if we truly lived in a competitive but well-regulated free-market economy. But, we don't. Top 1% of US households hold 15 times more wealth than bottom 50% combined. That's because the likes of Goldman Sachs created the "Trickle Down Theory of Economics" via Reagan administration. In reality, Trickle Down Theory is why the top 1% have aquired all new wealth the US created since its implementation.

Corporate welfare is a disgrace. We could eliminate child poverty, which the US has highest percentage of child poverty of all developed countries, if corporate America would pay their fair share, instead of making the rich even more rich.

You do realize 'Corporate Welfare" is about as real a term as "Ghost Students" if you want to tax the hell out of corporations, fine, but be fair about. If you want to increase property taxes get rid of Homestead Exemptions and put Personal Property Tax back on homeowners. Tax solar and wind energy like you do oil and gas. You can do this all day.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
This isn’t rocket science and isn’t a corporate tax rate issue. This is a corporate tax structure issue. Raise the rates all you want but those 55 companies will still walk around paying tax. Of course the smaller companies will pick up the new tax burden.

Sep 22, 2011
This isn’t rocket science and isn’t a corporate tax rate issue. This is a corporate tax structure issue. Raise the rates all you want but those 55 companies will still walk around paying tax. Of course the smaller companies will pick up the new tax burden.
Need to remove exemptions loopholes and subsidies as well as making rates progressively higher with profits so the little guys have a chance to survive, or do VAT

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Or simply pass the tax hike to the consumer.

Want to tax the lower and middle class without admitting you're doing so? Raise corporate taxes.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Or simply pass the tax hike to the consumer.

Want to tax the lower and middle class without admitting you're doing so? Raise corporate taxes.
Yet the cuts they receive aren’t passed along. And windfalls go predominantly to the executives.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...k-shaped-in-the-pandemic-like-everything-else
The richest 10% of households captured 70% of wealth created in 2020, according to the Federal Reserve, while the bottom half got just 4%.

Meanwhile, food and energy costs have spiked more than other expenses. This hurts mid-lower class households harder. Inflation inequality compounds the income inequality issues.

Many economists are pointing to a K-shaped recovery where this inequality becomes even more pronounced. If that’s the case, do you let the top 10% continue to gobble up the economic recovery out of fear that corporations will pass their tax rates onto consumers?

I’m asking because I am not an economist and I do not have a solution.

Mar 11, 2006
Yet the cuts they receive aren’t passed along. And windfalls go predominantly to the executives.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...k-shaped-in-the-pandemic-like-everything-else
The richest 10% of households captured 70% of wealth created in 2020, according to the Federal Reserve, while the bottom half got just 4%.

Meanwhile, food and energy costs have spiked more than other expenses. This hurts mid-lower class households harder. Inflation inequality compounds the income inequality issues.

Many economists are pointing to a K-shaped recovery where this inequality becomes even more pronounced. If that’s the case, do you let the top 10% continue to gobble up the economic recovery out of fear that corporations will pass their tax rates onto consumers?

I’m asking because I am not an economist and I do not have a solution.
Bezos had “wealth” added in 2020 because Amazon stock rose. Musk had his “wealth” increased in 2020 because Tesla stock spiked. Just those two alone capture a decent percentage of the 70% wealth creation claimed.

I have zero idea how you are saying that affects corporate income taxes in any way.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Bezos had “wealth” added in 2020 because Amazon stock rose. Musk had his “wealth” increased in 2020 because Tesla stock spiked. Just those two alone capture a decent percentage of the 70% wealth creation claimed.

I have zero idea how you are saying that affects corporate income taxes in any way.
Jostate was referencing trickle-down economics as a reason for not raising corporate taxes. I was responding to that with indications it hasn’t trickled down.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Jostate was referencing trickle-down economics as a reason for not raising corporate taxes. I was responding to that with indications it hasn’t trickled down.
Trickle down is more a reference to tax rates on the rich. Corporations are not the same as the fat cats running them.

You want to tax the rich, tax the rich. You want to tax their consumers (maybe poor) tax the corporations.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
The United States is the most charitable country in the world, and conservatives are more charitable than leftists. Non-leftists believe we spend our money better than bureaucrats.

How Political Ideology Influences Charitable Giving - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
Which Political Party Is More Charitable? | National Review
In that case, why didn't you try to make the poster account for the source about the too steep sounding 3.1 million children in the U. S. dying every year from lack of food and medical care? Otherwise, it sounds like a good case showing how Republicans want to ban all abortion and then don't want government to help take care of those poor children once they are born.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
If
In that case, why didn't you try to make the poster account for the source about the too steep sounding 3.1 million children in the U. S. dying every year from lack of food and medical care? Otherwise, it sounds like a good case showing how Republicans want to ban all abortion and then don't want government to help take care of those poor children once they are born.
If a child is starving in the US it probably means the unmarried mom got knocked up, the parents are on drugs, or both. I don't know if throwing more money at them is the solution but I am receptive to any real solutions. Pretending Republicans don't care about starving kids is posturing. Not problem solving.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Trickle down is more a reference to tax rates on the rich. Corporations are not the same as the fat cats running them.
It’s both.

from Wikipedia:
Trickle-down economics, also known as trickle-down theory or the horse and sparrow theory, is the economic proposition that taxes on businesses and the wealthy in society should be reduced as a means to stimulate business investment in the short term and benefit society at large in the long term.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
It’s both.

from Wikipedia:
Trickle-down economics, also known as trickle-down theory or the horse and sparrow theory, is the economic proposition that taxes on businesses and the wealthy in society should be reduced as a means to stimulate business investment in the short term and benefit society at large in the long term.
Okay. Viewing the 2 as remotely similar is misguided.

Sep 22, 2011
So nobody has any objection to the 55 biggest companies paying no taxes and getting 3 billion in subsidies?