Some great publicity for OSU Golf - Victor Once Again

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
Good for Viktor! I foresee another US beat down in this year's Ryder cup.
If the US team plays as individuals prescribing to the bomb and gouge philosophy, the US will get beat again. Team match play has to be consistent instead of risky play as the reward is just one hole. They get out of that philosophy (popular with the likes of Dechambeau and Koepka), the US will win. They focus on out-driving the Europeans with second shots from the rough, it will be a long weekend for the US team.

Aug 16, 2012
We shall see, the US team is 2-9 in the 21st century.
Yep, because of the likes of Mickelson (most Ryder Cup losses and wins less than 50% of his matches) in the past and others who play their second shot from the rough 50% of the time. Top players now are the top players because they control their driver a handful of times over the course of the tournament year. Way up and conversely, way down when they cannot find the fairway. Sells tickets but does not win Ryder Cups. Over half the US team is in the bottom 25% of driving accuracy.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
Yep, because of the likes of Mickelson (most Ryder Cup losses and wins less than 50% of his matches) in the past and others who play their second shot from the rough 50% of the time. Top players now are the top players because they control their driver a handful of times over the course of the tournament year. Way up and conversely, way down when they cannot find the fairway. Sells tickets but does not win Ryder Cups. Over half the US team is in the bottom 25% of driving accuracy.
They do have a better chance this year since it's in the US. Whenever it's in Europe they set up the courses to play to Europe's advantage. We have won 2 of the last 3 in US, and the other one was close. In Europe, it's typically domination

Aug 16, 2012
They do have a better chance this year since it's in the US. Whenever it's in Europe they set up the courses to play to Europe's advantage. We have won 2 of the last 3 in US, and the other one was close. In Europe, it's typically domination
It is going to be good TV I think. A dunes course, Whistling Straights favors long hitters in the fairways, but the rough, and there has been much discussion about this, cannot be groomed to favor the US team who tends to stray out of bounds more frequently. Par will not win holes if your opponent's drive is in the fairway.

Sep 12, 2008
Tiger Wood's career 13-21-3 didn't help either. Understandable he was always playing against their best player(s), but still you would think the GOAT would have a better record than that.

Aug 14, 2005
If the US team plays as individuals prescribing to the bomb and gouge philosophy, the US will get beat again. Team match play has to be consistent instead of risky play as the reward is just one hole. They get out of that philosophy (popular with the likes of Dechambeau and Koepka), the US will win. They focus on out-driving the Europeans with second shots from the rough, it will be a long weekend for the US team.
I agree with this. I’m afraid DeChambeau and Koepka’s mentality will take over and they will be individual‘s playing for themselves. But I’ll be cheering for Viktor in every match he plays, so I guess I’m partly cheering for Europe. I want to see somebody smash Ian Poulter, though.

Feb 10, 2007
Mckinney, TX
I agree with this. I’m afraid DeChambeau and Koepka’s mentality will take over and they will be individual‘s playing for themselves. But I’ll be cheering for Viktor in every match he plays, so I guess I’m partly cheering for Europe. I want to see somebody smash Ian Poulter, though.
I’m a third generation graduate, who bleeds orange. I root for all former cowboys. But I’m also a gun toting red blooded American. Screw Europe. Go USA!!

Aug 16, 2012
Golf Digest ranked all 24 players for this weekend's Ryder Cup. Viktor is #6, ahead of some pretty salty names.

Aug 16, 2012
Good morning for the US but not for Viktor. US took 3 of 4 of the morning foursome (alternate shot) pairings including Viktor and Paul Casey getting beat by Dustin Johnson/Collin Morikawa 3&2.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
Good morning for the US but not for Viktor. US took 3 of 4 of the morning foursome (alternate shot) pairings including Viktor and Paul Casey getting beat by Dustin Johnson/Collin Morikawa 3&2.
Really tough matchup for Viktor in that one. Another tough one going against Cantlay, who's been on fire, in the afternoon. JT can't make a putt. I want to root for Hovland, but I feel like the US might need that one. US should be heavy favorites in the first match, but the next two could go either way. Then again its golf, so who really know

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
Every time I saw Viktor hit a shot this morning it was either from a bunker or the side of a hill. I didn't see all of it but it seemed like Casey was putting him in bad spots quite a bit.

Aug 16, 2012
Really tough matchup for Viktor in that one. Another tough one going against Cantlay, who's been on fire, in the afternoon. JT can't make a putt. I want to root for Hovland, but I feel like the US might need that one. US should be heavy favorites in the first match, but the next two could go either way. Then again its golf, so who really know
Every time I saw Viktor hit a shot this morning it was either from a bunker or the side of a hill. I didn't see all of it but it seemed like Casey was putting him in bad spots quite a bit.
Just read that Casey popped off about hating the Americans the other day. VH did not have a chance this morning being paired with him.

Aug 16, 2012
We all remember the photograph of a single Rickie Fowler in the middle of the 2016 Ryder Cup photo shrugging while all the other players smooched their WAGs?
Rickie-Fowler-Ryder-Cup.jpg

Well, here is a single Viktor at this year's dinner/photo op.
hovland2.jpg

That is Sergio Garcia's wife to the left and Henrik Stenson's wife to the right.

Aug 16, 2012
Viktor gets back-to-back starts as he is now paired with Tommy Fleetwood (who actually lost his PGA card last month) in the four-ball (each player of the twosome teams plays their ball and the lowest score for the hole gets carded) against Justin Thomas and Patrick Cantlay. Europeans are currently 2-up through 6. US is 1-up in two of the other matches with the fourth match tied.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1441475673193865216

Last edited: