Softball Supers Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
On the pick off in the 5th, So how was the uT SS allowed to block the 2nd base w/o the ball ?
I thought that wasn’t allowed
And actually before that the 2nd baseman was in the runners way and they both had to jump sideways to avoid a collision just halfway towards second! So that should have been obstruction too

here’s the rule from NCAA
“If a defender blocks the plate or base before gaining possession, the runner will be called safe.”

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
On the pick off in the 5th, So how was the uT SS allowed to block the 2nd base w/o the ball ?
And actually before that the 2nd baseman was in the runners way and they both had to jump sideways to avoid a collision just halfway towards second! So that should have been obstruction too

“If a defender blocks the plate or base before gaining possession, the runner will be called safe.”
Good point. I think that's what Kenny was upset about--but without replay--the ump wasn't going to change the call.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005

That’s on the runners. I was always taught if there is someone in the base path and they don’t have the ball run into them don’t avoid them. Free base.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
The SS wasn't impeding the runner....the throw took her to the other side of the bag. It was a bang-bang play and on the surface I understand why Kenny was upset. It was a clean play and she was out. Also the Janae wasn't impeding the runners way at all. Calling for obstruction is quite a reach. That literally happens in softball quite often