Social Media

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Ran across this video (see below) and thought it was interesting. I personally deleted my facebook profile earlier this year....not so much because of the liberal leaning of the company (although that didn't help) but mainly because I got sick of the constant notifications. It was like a cross between a spoiled child and a puppy; "hey you may know this person", "hey so and so posted a photo", "hey, this person updated their status", hey, hey, HEY, HEY!!!. I finally just said shut up and leave me alone. Of course deleting your profile is not as easy as clicking delete, you have to go through several steps and then it doesn't take effect for a month (I can understand the need for that but still didn't like it). And then as the end drew near they reminded me why I was deleting it in the first place by sending me emails every day "are you sure you want to delete you profile", "only 2 more days to change your mind', hey, hey, HEY.

I've never been on twitter, it just doesn't appeal to me. I did sign up for Gab but I never use it, I signed up solely because I think competition is sorely needed in this industry. I guess if you think about it, this forum is also considered social media and the likes for posts here have the same dopamine effect that people get from likes on facebook so I'm not immune to the phenomenon....but I can say I don't for one minute regret deleting my facebook profile....not one bit.

Any thoughts on how social media has affected our culture or if it's use is on the decline as this video suggests? I do like the point this guy makes at the beginning that people shouldn't be shocked that these sites are selling your data....how else do you think they make so much money.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I feel like it's everything else in this world. A car. A gun. Cold medicine. In the wrong hands it can kill innocents. There's always someone using tools incorrectly and intentionally. I'm not much for social media. I love Orangepower because it connects me to one of my greatest loves wherever I am. I've used it wrongly on occasion and I've tried to apologize to those I've harmed. I have a facebook account but never used it. I have nothing else but am thinking about twitter. There are miracles happening daily out there and I would like to be connected to them and those performing them i.e. Supper colliders, physics department on quark research at Stanford and the such.

Jul 20, 2018
Oklahoma City
Social media reminds me of organized religion in a way. As in, possibly one of the best thing that's ever happened to mankind, while simultaneously being one of the worst. Both are a double edged sword that cut when used or managed improperly.