So kids had a sub teacher yesterday

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
My children who are in high school had a sub teacher at their school yesterday. My kids both happen to be in the same AP US History class for 1st hour. Each day starts with the reading of the Pledge of Allegiance over the intercom and they say the pledge while sitting in their seats as the teacher had asked them to do at the beginning of the school year.

They did this same thing they have been doing all year yesterday for the pledge.

The sub then begins yelling at them and comparing them to NFL Football players and tells them they need to move to a new country since they "obviously don't love their own country" because they did not stand for the pledge.

what the actual EFFFF.

Talk about Wokeness culture.

Mar 11, 2006
My children who are in high school had a sub teacher at their school yesterday. My kids both happen to be in the same AP US History class for 1st hour. Each day starts with the reading of the Pledge of Allegiance over the intercom and they say the pledge while sitting in their seats as the teacher had asked them to do at the beginning of the school year.

They did this same thing they have been doing all year yesterday for the pledge.

The sub then begins yelling at them and comparing them to NFL Football players and tells them they need to move to a new country since they "obviously don't love their own country" because they did not stand for the pledge.

what the actual EFFFF.

Do you know why the main teacher told the kids to stay seated during the pledge? Seems an odd directive...

Sep 22, 2011
This pandemic and the state of the country has caused a lot of peoples a-hole and authoritarian sides to show, kindness grace and understanding are at all time lows.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK

what the actual EFFFF.

I don't even need to make a comment about the sub because that's clearly not acceptable behavior for a grown a$$ adult substituting. I'm kinda curious about what cableok mentioned though. Seems really weird to me that (of all classes) an AP US history teacher would instruct their students to sit during the pledge. Still doing hands over their hearts though?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Were the students allowed to stand for the main teacher? I'd be curious if any tried it or asked, and what the response was. Obviously the sub needs to tone it down, you can share your opinion without losing your temper. Always better to start a dialogue than to start a yelling match.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Do you know why the main teacher told the kids to stay seated during the pledge? Seems an odd directive...
I asked this yesterday, why they usually stay seated. From the long rambling explanation that two high school kids can give you.

Basically I can sum it up as. There are more announcements and intercom stuff in the mornings this year due to COVID....multiple new lunch times etc. This has created announcements that are much longer than normal and each morning has not been consistent time wise when the pledge is done so they aren't sure when it is going to happen during the announcements. I guess they are doing quarantine notices of who needs to pack their stuff and do screening and test for possible quarantine prior to starting any of the other daily announcements. In a high school of just over 3k students...you can imagine the list of people needing to pack up and quarantine each day varies greatly from day to day and has made the daily intercom announcements unpredictable. So due to this their teacher told them to stay in their seats, and to cover their hearts and recite the pledge when it started, but that they need not stand up at that point.

Last edited:

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I asked this yesterday, why they usually stay seated. From the long rambling explanation that two high school kids can give you.

Basically I can sum it up as. There are more announcements and intercom stuff in the mornings this year due to COVID....multiple new lunch times etc. This has created announcements that are much longer than normal and each morning has not been consistent time wise when the pledge is done so they aren't sure when it is going to happen during the announcements. I guess they are doing quarantine notices of who needs to pack their stuff and do screening and test for possible quarantine prior to starting any of the other daily announcements. In a high school of just over 3k students...you can imagine the list of people needing to pack up and quarantine each day varies greatly from day to day and has made the daily intercom announcements unpredictable. So due to this their teacher told them to stay in their seats, and to cover their hearts and recite the pledge when it started, but that they need not stand up at that point.
Or, alternatively, your kids are communists!

drbwh

Federal Marshal
Sep 20, 2006
Or, alternatively, your kids are communists!
We watched Superman Red Son this weekend. The one where Superman lands in Russia instead of the US and grows up as a Soviet Super Hero.

One of my kids remarked when he saw the pic below on the screen "Superman can't be a Commie!"

View attachment 89104
Somebody is doing something right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma

what the actual EFFFF.

I spent time subbing while on a job hunt and if it was like any of the districts I sub’ed they will no longer be a sub. Politics was the number 2 no no and we were told up front you will not be invited back.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
This happened in Edmond this week.
EDMOND, Okla. (KFOR) – A 13-year-old Edmond student says he was confused and embarrassed when his middle school teacher told him his T-shirt with ‘Black King’ emblazoned on it was racist in the middle of class.
“I am proud of my blackness and she will never take it away from me,” Latrell Taft said.
Thirteen-year-old Latrell Taft says he was beyond excited to wear his new birthday present to school on Tuesday, a T-shirt proclaiming “Black King” with an outline of Africa.
“I am a king because I think I’m a king,” Taft said.
Latrell says during science class at Heartland Middle School, his teacher abruptly changed the subject from the periodic table to asking what his shirt said.
“She said that if she had a shirt that said white queen it would have been racist,” Taft said. “Then after that, she said we need a white history month. I said black people don’t have enough recognition and we barely learn about black people in February at my school.”
Latrell tells KFOR the majority of his class sided with the teacher, calling his shirt racist.
“I was embarrassed,” Taft said.
“He does have peers who look like him, but very few,” Melisa Shirley said.
Latrell’s mom, Melisa Shirley, says she immediately called the middle school.
“Initially, to be totally honest, I was brushed off,” Shirley said.
Twenty-four hours later, Edmond Public Schools released the following statement to KFOR:
“Edmond Public Schools is aware of an incident in a classroom at Heartland Middle School involving a district employee and a 7th-grade student who wore a t-shirt featuring an outline of Africa and the words ‘Black King’ written on the front.
Upon becoming aware of the incident, the school site and the district began a prompt investigation which is ongoing. District staff is also in contact with the parent of the student.
If it is determined that the student was the target of discrimination, bullying, or racism, appropriate and swift action will be taken as required by District policy.
Edmond Public Schools prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, disability, and religion, and complies with all federal and state civil rights laws. Furthermore, the district has taken numerous steps to address discrimination in Edmond schools, including providing professional development for staff on the issue of unconscious bias and ensuring equity for all. The district administration is continuing to assess the need for more training and professional development in this important area.”​

https://twitter.com/KOCOErin/status/1365037282793816076

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
EDMOND, Okla. (KFOR) – A 13-year-old Edmond student says he was confused and embarrassed when his middle school teacher told him his T-shirt with ‘Black King’ emblazoned on it was racist in the middle of class.
“I am proud of my blackness and she will never take it away from me,” Latrell Taft said.
Thirteen-year-old Latrell Taft says he was beyond excited to wear his new birthday present to school on Tuesday, a T-shirt proclaiming “Black King” with an outline of Africa.
Latrell says during science class at Heartland Middle School, his teacher abruptly changed the subject from the periodic table to asking what his shirt said.
“She said that if she had a shirt that said white queen it would have been racist,” Taft said. “Then after that, she said we need a white history month. I said black people don’t have enough recognition and we barely learn about black people in February at my school.”
Latrell tells KFOR the majority of his class sided with the teacher, calling his shirt racist.
Twenty-four hours later, Edmond Public Schools released the following statement to KFOR:
“Edmond Public Schools is aware of an incident in a classroom at Heartland Middle School involving a district employee and a 7th-grade student who wore a t-shirt featuring an outline of Africa and the words ‘Black King’ written on the front.​
Upon becoming aware of the incident, the school site and the district began a prompt investigation which is ongoing. District staff is also in contact with the parent of the student.​
If it is determined that the student was the target of discrimination, bullying, or racism, appropriate and swift action will be taken as required by District policy.​
Edmond Public Schools prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, disability, and religion, and complies with all federal and state civil rights laws. Furthermore, the district has taken numerous steps to address discrimination in Edmond schools, including providing professional development for staff on the issue of unconscious bias and ensuring equity for all. The district administration is continuing to assess the need for more training and professional development in this important area.”​

meanwhile, here is a feel good story on how educators should/could be...

A middle schooler was insecure about his haircut. So his principal fixed it himself instead of disciplining the boy for wearing a hat

Moore was wearing a hat, which is against the school's dress code. After the student spoke with a school dean for about 30 minutes, Smith was asked to step in.
"I sat across from him and asked, 'What's wrong? Why are you being defiant, why are you refusing to take your hat off? It's a pretty simple request,'" Smith said. "And he explained that his parents took him to get a haircut and he didn't like the results."

"I told him, 'Look, I've been cutting hair since I was your age,' and I showed him pictures of my son's haircuts that I did and some of me cutting hair in college. And I said, 'If I run home and get my clippers and fix your line, will you go back to class?'" Smith said. "He hesitated but then he said yes."
So in the snow, Smith drove back home to get his clippers and brought them to his office to line Moore's head up while his parents were called for consent to touch up his hair.
Tawanda Johnson, Moore's mom, said she thought the gesture was wonderful.
"He (Smith) handled it very well to keep him from getting in trouble at school," she said. "I'm just glad that he was able to handle that without ... being put in in-school suspension."

"All behavior is communication and when a student is struggling, we need to ask ourselves what happened to this child instead of what's wrong with the child," Smith said. "What need is the child trying to get met and really, the future of urban education rests on that question."

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
“Edmond Public Schools is aware of an incident in a classroom at Heartland Middle School involving a district employee and a 7th-grade student who wore a t-shirt featuring an outline of Africa and the words ‘Black King’ written on the front.
Upon becoming aware of the incident, the school site and the district began a prompt investigation which is ongoing. District staff is also in contact with the parent of the student.
If it is determined that the student was the target of discrimination, bullying, or racism, appropriate and swift action will be taken as required by District policy.

I see zero racism on the shirt.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Just a weird observation whilst picking up my kid about 7 years ago at school. I’m always last. I wanted her to be around the teachers and school as much as possible. At least back then. 4th grade. Sitting in the parking lot I was watching them take the American flag down.- At my time in high school it was an honor to be on flag derail even though you came early and stayed late to do it. We didn’t honor guard it or anything but still there’s some pride. - The person taking it down was the school janitor. No biggie. Obvious immigrant as I know him and his story. Great guy. Lots of patience. But the American flag is just a flag to him. I watched him take down all the way to the ground. Disconnect it from the rope and let’s it go to the ground. Stoops over with both arms and rakes the flag in like poker chips and throws it on top of his cleaning cart right where it’ll be first thing in the morning to reverse the process. It really befuddled me. Was I upset? Amused? Careless? I left not knowing what to think and just remembered it reading this. Hmmmm

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
You guys do realize that a sub is not something a school looks forward to having in a classroom? They try hard, but they aren't the regular teacher. When I was an administrator I used to hate those days when there's a baseball tournament, two different track meets and FFA was gone. You knew something was going to happen and it was going to not be good. We had great subs, but it was always an adventure and you just never knew what was next somedays.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
You guys do realize that a sub is not something a school looks forward to having in a classroom? They try hard, but they aren't the regular teacher. When I was an administrator I used to hate those days when there's a baseball tournament, two different track meets and FFA was gone. You knew something was going to happen and it was going to not be good. We had great subs, but it was always an adventure and you just never knew what was next somedays.
6th science class (20yrs ago), 1st period, sub had vodka in her water bottle... Even to us 6th graders it was clear she wasn't sober...

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Subbing for a coach was usually a bad gig. I can think of once when a coach actually had a lesson plan ready that was reading or a group project. I was scheduled to cover a class for a week and I got there and he had “test review and library work” for the entire week even there was not review to go over or liberate work plans. I told the principal at lunch I would not be back and he did not understand the issue. Having a movie day would have Ben more productive.

Mar 11, 2006
Subbing for a coach was usually a bad gig. I can think of once when a coach actually had a lesson plan ready that was reading or a group project. I was scheduled to cover a class for a week and I got there and he had “test review and library work” for the entire week even there was not review to go over or liberate work plans. I told the principal at lunch I would not be back and he did not understand the issue. Having a movie day would have Ben more productive.
I got started subbing in classes about 15 years ago when a person I coached with, who was also a teacher, was going to be out for a week. I wanted to teach his Algebra class so I took a week vacation to do it.

I have now probably taught about 150 days in last 15 years. I thoroughly enjoy it and glad I have a day job that provides that flexibility. But I definitely understand how it can be extremely frustrating for a sub to get to class and the teacher has not prepared lesson plans. No fun just being a babysitter.

And to the OP, a sub should NOT bring politics to class.

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I got started subbing in classes about 15 years ago when a person I coached with, who was also a teacher, was going to be out for a week. I wanted to teach his Algebra class so I took a week vacation to do it.

I have now probably taught about 150 days in last 15 years. I thoroughly enjoy it and glad I have a day job that provides that flexibility. But I definitely understand how it can be extremely frustrating for a sub to get to class and the teacher has not prepared lesson plans. No fun just being a babysitter.

And to the OP, a sub should NOT bring politics to class.
That was the last time I went to that school, the other high school sub coordinator put me on her speed dial and it worked for both of us. My worst experience was in middle school where the kids were still learning how far they could push it.
I had a 4th grader poking another student with a pencil and I told him the next time he would not like what happened. He poked the kid and I sent him to the office and he cried the entire way. I did not think about it until his mom stopped me in the parking lot, the kid snuck off to the bathroom and called her in his cell phone. I told her since I was a sub she had to take it up with the principal and she tried to follow me home. I called the principal and he said it was no big deal. I ended up calling the district and documenting everything to cover my tail.