Slab leak repair

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
Anyone ever had one? I live in Stillwater and have had 3 fixed by Hi Tech Plumbing out of Edmond.They do a good job but 1600 for 4 hrs of work each time seems extreme.Anyone had one fixed by a Stillwater plumber and what did it cost? I have them rerouted overhead through the attic.Just wondering what others have paid and looking for another quality option.

Aug 16, 2012
As in water percolating up through voids around slab penetrations? If so, not sure what a plumber is doing unless it actually is a plumbing leak.

If this is the case, highly likely it is a ground water issue that needs addressed. Many people do not think they have ground water when they actually do. I tell them to think about standing on a beach that appears to be dry but the next thing you know, your foot is under water. Slabs increase the hydrostatic pressure exponentially and the water, being water, looks to escape via the path of least resistance.

If this is the case, you need a civil engineer who can tailor a sub-surface drain system. At the very least, run a trench drain around the slab. Optimally, the drain would also run under the slab to reduce the hydrostatic pressure.

Million things to consider to fully understand the problem and determine the best solution.

FWIW, see this a lot in my line of work so not just whistling Dixie. Saw just Thursday at a large class A office building where it is being expressed through joints around all of the large electrical conduits coming up through the slab into the electrical switchgear room. Not a place you want to see water coming up

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
As in water percolating up through voids around slab penetrations? If so, not sure what a plumber is doing unless it actually is a plumbing leak.

If this is the case, highly likely it is a ground water issue that needs addressed. Many people do not think they have ground water when they actually do. I tell them to think about standing on a beach that appears to be dry but the next thing you know, your foot is under water. Slabs increase the hydrostatic pressure exponentially and the water, being water, looks to escape via the path of least resistance.

If this is the case, you need a civil engineer who can tailor a sub-surface drain system. At the very least, run a trench drain around the slab. Optimally, the drain would also run under the slab to reduce the hydrostatic pressure.

Million things to consider to fully understand the problem and determine the best solution.

FWIW, see this a lot in my line of work so not just whistling Dixie. Saw just Thursday at a large class A office building where it is being expressed through joints around all of the large electrical conduits coming up through the slab into the electrical switchgear room. Not a place you want to see water coming up
I believe he's talking about plumbing pipe breaks inside a slab. We've had similar and the one time we got to have one fixed we had the high-tech people out of Edmond as well.

How would you reroute piping through the Attic?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I believe he's talking about plumbing pipe breaks inside a slab. We've had similar and the one time we got to have one fixed we had the high-tech people out of Edmond as well.

You can safely do it with Pex piping so you do not have to be concerned with freezing.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

You can safely do it with Pex piping so you do not have to be concerned with freezing.
Source pipes or waste? Our problems were waste. We have another one I think. And I'd love to get it to a point where we didn't have to worry about the old cast iron pipes in the slab.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Source pipes or waste? Our problems were waste. We have another one I think. And I'd love to get it to a point where we didn't have to worry about the old cast iron pipes in the slab.

Source, waste requires jack hammer.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma

Source, I ran line to a 2nd bath that originally had a small hot water heater.

Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
Hi tech can usually re-line and pull a sleeve through waste pipes.i am talking about using pex and re-routing from manifold to manifold inside the wall and up through the attic.abandon the underground copper pipe that is leaking.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If its waste water you really have issues with a sleeve.
Or wax rings or oakum.imo
I don't mean that kind of waste pipe I mean as in like the drain off our sink, a/c runoff and our washer are tied together and then go into the main outline and its backing up into the a/c drain if we try to drain the washer too fast. And it doesn't appear to be just a normal plug because it's similar symptoms to what happened last time when they had to replace some of our old cast iron pipe.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
I don't mean that kind of waste pipe I mean as in like the drain off our sink, a/c runoff and our washer are tied together and then go into the main outline and its backing up into the a/c drain if we try to drain the washer too fast. And it doesn't appear to be just a normal plug because it's similar symptoms to what happened last time when they had to replace some of our old cast iron pipe.

Don’t know but would guess the drain and roof vent need to be snaked.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Don’t know but would guess the drain and roof vent need to be snaked.
When it back up it includes some black mucky mud type stuff. Same as before. Had about a 2 foot length of cast iron replaced that time under the"formal" dining room we had turned into a bedroom.