Shaka Smart to Marquette

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I would think Beard would happily return there. And that might be a coach that could effectively leverage all the resources at UT and turn them into a powerhouse
I bet they are going to offer him like 6-7 mil a year and he can't turn down that kind of money. Apparently after April 1st his buyout is "only" $4 million for an in conference school.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Boynton has been decent against Beard. I'll take them as a tough rival and I'd rather have them as a tough rival than for UT to have any success.
UT is always going to be tough because they are always going to have an insane amount of athletic talent. Tech sliding back to their previous selves would give some more buffer in the Big 12 schedule.

Mar 27, 2008
This is bizarro world. I would have bet the ranch, that Shaka Smart would NOT be hired away from Texas this year.

A smaller school is probably a much better fit for Shaka.
Yeah it is very strange. Texas could have been planning to fire him this afternoon and now Marquette is paying the buyout for him. :confused:

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
This is bizarro world. I would have bet the ranch, that Shaka Smart would NOT be hired away from Texas this year.

A smaller school is probably a much better fit for Shaka.
Yeah it is very strange. Texas could have been planning to fire him this afternoon and now Marquette is paying the buyout for him. :confused:
I’d bet multiple units that Texas is waiving the buy out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I’d bet multiple units that Texas is waiving the buy out

Why would they do that? Free money to put towards a new coach.
Because I’d bet Marquette isn’t poaching Shaka, they were going to fire him and Shaka arranged this to save face. If Marquette was going to have to pay a buy out they’d just say no and then Texas would be stuck with Shaka who they don’t want.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Because I’d bet Marquette isn’t poaching Shaka, they were going to fire him and Shaka arranged this to save face. If Marquette was going to have to pay a buy out they’d just say no and then Texas would be stuck with Shaka who they don’t want.

Maybe, but why show your hand in the negotiation if UT really was negotiating with Marquette? He just won the big 12 tournament and as rich as UT is, they still want to get as much money back as they can. If they can get rid of Shaka plus some buyout money, why wouldn't they? It doesn't benefit UT nearly as much to just help Shaka save face (and Marquette who would rather seem like they're poaching him than picking up UT's leftovers). For UT, the worst case is you wait a year and fire him then when the Marquette job is no longer available. That hurts Shaka and Marquette more than UT.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

Maybe, but why show your hand in the negotiation if UT really was negotiating with Marquette? He just won the big 12 tournament and as rich as UT is, they still want to get as much money back as they can. If they can get rid of Shaka plus some buyout money, why wouldn't they? It doesn't benefit UT nearly as much to just help Shaka save face (and Marquette who would rather seem like they're poaching him than picking up UT's leftovers). For UT, the worst case is you wait a year and fire him then when the Marquette job is no longer available. That hurts Shaka and Marquette more than UT.
Because the starting point in negotiations weren’t Marquette paying UT a full buyout. The starting point was UT playing Shaka full buy out.