SEMO at OSU baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
TCU only has 3 games left and they’re against KU. They should sweep. Winning 2 out of 3 in our last 2 series won’t be good enough to win conference out right.

On a side note OU might be kicking themselves about that Saturday night loss to the Pokes once the season os over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It will. We are up 3 in the loss column. If we win each series 2-1 that's only 2 losses and we still win the conference by a game. We would be be at 17-7. They would be 16-8
Thanks. I guess I looked at the standings before they updated TCU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
How can they justify leaving the 9th team out? If BU and KU tie for 9th would they have them in a play in game to determine the 8th seed.
Just the way its been done since we went to 9 teams. They would go with the team that won the series between the two.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
So probably not much difference if you are 1st or 2nd place then if no bye game and you can still win the Big 12 Championship in the tournament.
Not really except for favorable matchups in the B12 tournament, but for the NCAAs, the Committee will give weight to teams that win their conference, so it's really a bigger deal to win the regular season than the conference tournament.

For example, I suspect it's possible that OSU could hypothetically finish 2nd in the Big 12 regular season and still finish top 10-12 in the RPI (say OSU beats DBU on the road, but loses three more B12 games and ends up tied with TCU, who has the tiebreaker). Normally, top 10-12 RPI puts you in the top 8 discussion, but I don't believe there's been a year where the second place Big 12 team got a national seed while the regular season champion didn't. But, again, this year is the craziest one I've ever seen when it comes to the RPI and trying to figure out where things stand, so who knows?

Whatever the case, if OSU wins 2 more Big 12 series, they'll win the conference and should be a top 2-4 seed. That looked quite unlikely just a couple weeks ago. Big credit to the team for turning things around, and hope they can keep it rolling. Tech has had OSU's number for a long time, so this weekend, IMO, is the biggest hurdle they've faced all season.

(By the way, it's become increasingly common for the teams who are safely in the NCAAs and feel very good about their top 8/16 chances to not take the conference tournaments too seriously in order not to tax their pitching right before regionals start. Tech has won the majority of the regular season B12 championships in the past 8-10 years, but usually don't last more than 2-3 games in the conference tournament.)

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
We are going to the Big 12 tournament in Arlington. It will be an adjustment as there is only one hotel within walking distance and it is $947 per night. Bricktown had other activities and you could stay in Hotels next to stadium. Where is everyone staying? I guess the teams will have to bus in for each game. Do we know where OSU will stay yet?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Not really except for favorable matchups in the B12 tournament, but for the NCAAs, the Committee will give weight to teams that win their conference, so it's really a bigger deal to win the regular season than the conference tournament.

For example, I suspect it's possible that OSU could hypothetically finish 2nd in the Big 12 regular season and still finish top 10-12 in the RPI (say OSU beats DBU on the road, but loses three more B12 games and ends up tied with TCU, who has the tiebreaker). Normally, top 10-12 RPI puts you in the top 8 discussion, but I don't believe there's been a year where the second place Big 12 team got a national seed while the regular season champion didn't. But, again, this year is the craziest one I've ever seen when it comes to the RPI and trying to figure out where things stand, so who knows?

Whatever the case, if OSU wins 2 more Big 12 series, they'll win the conference and should be a top 2-4 seed. That looked quite unlikely just a couple weeks ago. Big credit to the team for turning things around, and hope they can keep it rolling. Tech has had OSU's number for a long time, so this weekend, IMO, is the biggest hurdle they've faced all season.

(By the way, it's become increasingly common for the teams who are safely in the NCAAs and feel very good about their top 8/16 chances to not take the conference tournaments too seriously in order not to tax their pitching right before regionals start. Tech has won the majority of the regular season B12 championships in the past 8-10 years, but usually don't last more than 2-3 games in the conference tournament.)
Yeah we sat near some Tech fans several years back and they were all pissed that Tadlock could care less about the Big 12 tournament. They made it to Omaha that year. Since they may not get a regional this year unless they win the Tournament they will probably try to win the Tournament. Tadlock probably regretting not taking LSU or A&M job now.

Last edited:

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
Yeah we sat near some Tech fans several years back and they were all pissed that Tadlock could care less about the Big 12 tournament. They made it to Omaha that year. Since they may not get a regional this year unless they win the Tournament they will probably try to win the Tournment. Tadlock probably regretting not taking LSU or A&M job now.
Your second to last sentence nails why this weekend is so big. Tech isn't close to hosting right now, but they have six huge RPI games coming up. They could easily play themselves right back into the discussion, and those guys just seem to always get it done when it matters. Sort of like Tom Izzo's Michigan State basketball teams back in the day.

And I doubt he's too upset about where he's at. He's making over 1 million with a lifetime contract and doesn't have to deal with the legitimately high expectations of an LSU fan base and the unrealistic expectations of the Aggie fans.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Your second to last sentence nails why this weekend is so big. Tech isn't close to hosting right now, but they have six huge RPI games coming up. They could easily play themselves right back into the discussion, and those guys just seem to always get it done when it matters. Sort of like Tom Izzo's Michigan State basketball teams back in the day.

And I doubt he's too upset about where he's at. He's making over 1 million with a lifetime contract and doesn't have to deal with the legitimately high expectations of an LSU fan base and the unrealistic expectations of the Aggie fans.
This OSU team is different…. they never give up. How many rallies have we had with two outs this year. Something happened in the last WVU victory. This team knows they have what it takes to win a World Series. I think we sweep TT and BU and beat DBU to be ranked 1 or 2. I think we win the Tournament and get a top 4 seed. We are that good this year. Holiday is on a mission and he isn’t leaving any survivors in his quest to bring a World Series Championship to OSU!!!

Last edited:

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
This OSU team is different…. they never give up. How many rallies have we had with two outs this year. Something happened in the last WVU victory. This team knows they have what it takes to win a World Series. I think we sweep TT and BU and beat DBU to be ranked 1 or 2. I think we win the Tournament and get a top 4 seed. We are that good this year. Holiday is on a mission and he isn’t leaving any survivors in his quest to bring a World Series to OSU!!!
02BD2578-ADCF-4668-B7C9-54654B4191FE.jpeg

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
After we swept Texas... I have heard UT fans want to fire Pierce and go after Josh since his father Tom was their pitching coach after leaving OSU. I doubt Josh would entertain such a move, but I thought it interesting how respected the Holiday name is in Austin!

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
After we sweptTexas.. I have heard UT fans want to fire Pierce and go after Josh since his father Tom was their pitching coach after leaving OSU. I doubt Josh would entertain such a move, but I thought it interesting how respected the Holiday name is in Austin!
I’m not sure if many on this board know this, but Texas and South Carolina both made very strong plays to get Josh within the last 5 years or so. He’s a Cowboy through and through.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I’m not sure if many on this board know this, but Texas and South Carolina both made very strong plays to get Josh within the last 5 years or so. He’s a Cowboy through and through.
He has a national baseball brand with a storied history and the best facilities in the country. Plus he played here. Guy bleeds orange.