SCOTUS to overturn Roe v Wade

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Just what is it that drives Republicans to impose such extreme abortion bans? Do they hold a grudge on women, including their constituents, and seek revenge against them? I doubt they get it from the bible unless having to read between the lines. In 2019, the desire for anti-abortion extremism got as outlandish as possible when 446 people spoke at a Texas hearing until around 3 am in favor of passing a law that could give women the death penalty convicted of abortions. The bill was not passed.

Texas Lawmakers Are Considering The Death Penalty For Women Who Get Abortions | HuffPost Latest News

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
John Legend on abortion rights: 'Government should not be involved' bbc

In particular, the award-winning musician said it was "offensive" and "nasty" for people going through a miscarriage like his own to run the risk of investigation over abortion.
Two years ago his wife, model Chrissy Teigen, lost their baby at 20 weeks.

His comments come as millions of women in the US face losing their constitutional right to abortion.
On Friday, Indiana's Senate took a vote paving the way for it to become the first US state to tighten abortion laws since Roe v Wade - the ruling which underpinned the constitutional right to abortion - was overturned in June.
The bill - which needs to be signed into law by the state's governor - would mean a near-total ban on abortions, with exemptions for cases of rape and incest, albeit limited to 10 weeks, to prevent serious physical risk to the mother or fatal foetal abnormalities.

Other states are also expected to tighten their own restrictions on abortion, while others have enacted pre-existing restrictions already, leading to fears of what it may mean for women who have suffered a miscarriage and may need medical intervention.
Already, stories have emerged from states with strict abortion controls, with one doctor telling the BBC she had already seen emergency departments turning women away.

Speaking to CNN's The Axe Files podcast, hosted by David Axelrod, Legend said decisions around pregnancy should be made by a mother and her doctor, along with family members if she wishes.
Legend - whose son, who they had named Jack, died when Teigen was 20 weeks pregnant - added that he was horrified at the thought of law enforcement being involved"after all of that trauma, after all of that pain, after all those tears we went through".
"To have the government involved in that conversation in any way is so offensive to me," he said. "It's nasty. It's evil. It should not be even a discussion. The government should not be involved."

Abortion has been a divisive issue in the US for many years, with many Republicans pushing for strict limits - or even total bans.
However, a June poll from NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist found that 56% of Americans were opposed to the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v Wade, while 40% supported it.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Just what is it that drives Republicans to impose such extreme abortion bans? Do they hold a grudge on women, including their constituents, and seek revenge against them? I doubt they get it from the bible unless having to read between the lines. In 2019, the desire for anti-abortion extremism got as outlandish as possible when 446 people spoke at a Texas hearing until around 3 am in favor of passing a law that could give women the death penalty convicted of abortions. The bill was not passed.

Texas Lawmakers Are Considering The Death Penalty For Women Who Get Abortions | HuffPost Latest News
Are you referring to the actual banning of abortion, or some of the penalties we're now seeing for violation of that law? If the former, I'm pretty sure Exodus and Deuteronomy are crystal clear on that subject; no reading between the lines is necessary.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I did smart one...Ok, I know our country has been labeled as a democracy, republic, representative democracy, federalism, and we are actually a combination of...I don't care to argue about that..I said this before you started in on your 'I'm smarter than you' trolling...
No, you did not

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
That textbook is as bad as PF5's history and government teacher.
We have determined that you don't believe in dictionaries or textbooks.
I suppose that is why you are so confident in your position. A position that not a single other person on here has defended in several pages while several have told you that you are wrong. And even provided multiple sources to explain.

The change in conservatives from basic individualism to every individual thinking that they get to determine their own facts is a blight on our nation. When the learned behavior of the former president of claiming desires and beliefs as "facts" in spite of clear obvious factual information showing otherwise becomes the method of a huge portion of the population, how are we going to prosper? It is idiocracy, without the humor.

Mar 11, 2006
We have determined that you don't believe in dictionaries or textbooks.
I suppose that is why you are so confident in your position that not a single other person on here has defended in several pages while several have told you that you are wrong and even provided multiple sources to explain.

The change in conservatives from basic individualism to every individual thinking that they get to determine their own facts is a blight on our nation. When the learned behavior of the former president of claiming desires and beliefs as "facts" in spite of clear obvious factual information showing otherwise becomes the method of a huge portion of the population, how are we going to prosper? It is idiocracy, without the humor.