SCOTUS to overturn Roe v Wade

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
A yes vote on state questions can represent significant change. Some people wrongly thought Oklahomans wouldn't be able to legalize medical marijuana for many more years to come. Oklahoma is fortunate to have a petitioning process to try to work around Republican state legislators and their prohibitive laws. So, I won't be surprised a state question will be on the ballot to give legal access to abortion, possibly based on body autonomy, in 2024 and it will pass.

Oklahoma Abortion Rights Advocates React To Kansas Vote To Protect Abortions (newson6.com)
The medical Marijuana is probably your best example.

Whether the abortion access passes will depend heavily on how it's phrased. It needs to be clear that it won't allow elective abortions past the first trimeste, even then it will be an uphill battle. Broadening medical exceptions could happen though because whether it's 2 or 2,000, women will die from doctors who wait to perform abortions due to the new law. Those stories are going to be plastered everywhere.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I rotated for six months at the VA and had several friends who wound up working there. It's hands down the best work life balance of any system. It's also insanely rigid and the one I worked in definitely had that government austerity feel to it. In my field, it's been a highly appealing place for at least a decade with some of the best clinicians I've ever worked with. I'd take VA documentation and red tape over medicaid any day.

I know I posted this guy earlier, but came across another video of his that seemed appropriate here.

Glaucomflecken is truly amazing. He is a practicing ophthalmologist. Also had a cardiac arrest at a young age. His insurance company tried to not pay the ER bill so he rakes Aetna constantly. He is going to be the keynote speaker at the ACEP (emergency) conference this year. This one is his best regarding what has actually happened. He labeled it the Future of Medicine but it is actually what has happened over the past couple of decades.
In a little bit of irony, a friend of mine who was my assistant director at an ED while we were in the Air Force had ED contracts and was able to sell out to PE like this. He now literally owns a yacht company in Cabo among other things.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Glaucomflecken is truly amazing. He is a practicing ophthalmologist. Also had a cardiac arrest at a young age. His insurance company tried to not pay the ER bill so he rakes Aetna constantly. He is going to be the keynote speaker at the ACEP (emergency) conference this year. This one is his best regarding what has actually happened. He labeled it the Future of Medicine but it is actually what has happened over the past couple of decades.
In a little bit of irony, a friend of mine who was my assistant director at an ED while we were in the Air Force had ED contracts and was able to sell out to PE like this. He now literally owns a yacht company in Cabo among other things.

Love his stuff. Another great line from a similar video.
Anesthesiology: "what studies?"
Private equity: "our corporate fleet of yachts. we call them studies"

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Quit being pedantic.
Using the word "democracy" does not mean direct rule of the people with no representation. Look at the dictionary definition. Democracy/republic are not mutually exclusive words. His history teacher did not fail him. He never said that it was direct rule. Your attempt at ridicule failed. If anything your English teacher failed you. But really, it is neither and you are just trying to make a stupid gotcha point against a person who is clearly explaining precisely what he meant. It is childish.

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 7.00.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 7.00.35 AM.png

Last edited:

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Quit being pedantic.
Using the word "democracy" does not mean direct rule of the people with no representation. Look at the dictionary definition. Democracy/republic are not mutually exclusive words. His history teacher did not fail him. He never said that it was direct rule. Your attempt at ridicule failed. If anything your English teacher failed you. But really, it is neither and you are just trying to make a stupid gotcha point against a person who is clearly explaining precisely what he meant. It is childish.

View attachment 96695
View attachment 96694
Do the people directly elect the president or the Supreme Court? Quit supporting being simplistic you are better than that. Use your reading comprehension skills to read the definitions that you just posted, there is a difference. If lived in a true democracy there would be no Electoral College, we would elect federal judges, the president would be by popular vote, and state designations and/or congressional districts would be totally different.

Last edited:

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Please quote the post where someone said that we directly elect the president and the supreme court.

Otherwise, you are making a strawman argument so that you can childishly keep throwing out insults.
I'm not insulting anyone, if you take it that I'm sorry. By definition if we lived in a democracy it would be strict majority rule. The nominated president and nominated judicial branch along with the structure of the Congress removes majority rule.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I'm not insulting anyone, if you take it that I'm sorry. By definition if we lived in a democracy it would be strict majority rule. The nominated president and nominated judicial branch along with the structure of the Congress removes majority rule.
I gave you the definition. It is not the one you just made up with the false claim of "by definition." There is NOTHING in the word democracy that denies representation. If you want to add modifiers as you keep doing to denote a specific type of democracy, that is different.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I gave you the definition. It is not the one you just made up with the false claim of "by definition." There is NOTHING in the word democracy that denies representation. If you want to add modifiers as you keep doing to denote a specific type of democracy, that is different.
Whatever, I said we are a frickin republic and not a democracy. I haven't added anything. Sorry dude, I can't change the reality of your incorrectness.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Whatever, I said we are a frickin republic and not a democracy. I haven't added anything. Sorry dude, I can't change the reality of your incorrectness.
Again, since you missed it the first time, the words democracy and republic are not mutually exclusive. We are clearly both. If you think we aren't, you are clueless about the meaning of the words, which I even provided for you. Sorry, but you don't get to make up your own facts because you "said it."

A republic can still be a form of democracy so it isn't incorrect to say "democracy" unless you add a modifier (as you keep doing) such as "direct" or "pure." Just because football is called football doesn't make it wrong to call it a sport. Now, if you call it a racquet sport or an individual sport, then it is wrong.

Here, go learn because you are sounding more ignorant than you typically are:
https://www.annenbergclassroom.org/glossary_term/republic/
https://www.thoughtco.com/republic-vs-democracy-4169936
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/11/yes-constitution-democracy/616949/

Jan 3, 2014
2. What form of government do we have in the UnitedStates?The United States, under its Constitution, is a federal, representative, democratic republic, an indivisible union of 50 sovereignStates. With the exception of town meetings, a form of pure democracy, we have at the local, state, and national levels a governmentwhich is: ‘‘federal’’ because power is shared among these three levels; ‘‘democratic’’ because the people govern themselves and havethe means to control the government; and ‘‘republic’’ because thepeople choose elected delegates by free and secret ballot.

taken from govinfo.gov

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
2. What form of government do we have in the UnitedStates?The United States, under its Constitution, is a federal, representative, democratic republic, an indivisible union of 50 sovereignStates. With the exception of town meetings, a form of pure democracy, we have at the local, state, and national levels a governmentwhich is: ‘‘federal’’ because power is shared among these three levels; ‘‘democratic’’ because the people govern themselves and havethe means to control the government; and ‘‘republic’’ because thepeople choose elected delegates by free and secret ballot.

taken from govinfo.gov
Why didn't you post that in the first place?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

taken from govinfo.gov
Wait the answer was there all along. They defined it for us and told us themselves what they are

We got to stop hiring Football coaches as history teachers