SCOTUS to overturn Roe v Wade

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1523883798596931585?t=zcmGkXljtzwC4NUBMDYeKg&s=19
As might be apparent in some of my recent comments, learning Jewish perspectives on this, including orthodox ones, completely reshaped how I viewed the issue. I really think most evangelicals, or at least my Evangelical friends and family, don't understand how different they are. This is the kind of topic where if you're interpreting it right as an Evangelical, your view of the Bible should line up with Jewish views, but they are vastly different.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdWIK_ttZV-/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
So "that's not what we're focused on" in the article equals "doesn't rule it out" in the headline. How many people who read just the headline are now telling others that Mississippi intends to ban all birth control.

My first thought on seeing the headline was that guy is an idiot. Then I read what he actually said....makes a huge difference.

Sep 22, 2011
As might be apparent in some of my recent comments, learning Jewish perspectives on this, including orthodox ones, completely reshaped how I viewed the issue. I really think most evangelicals, or at least my Evangelical friends and family, don't understand how different they are. This is the kind of topic where if you're interpreting it right as an Evangelical, your view of the Bible should line up with Jewish views, but they are vastly different.
Evangelicals see themselves as "not of this world" conforming their worldview to any other religious or secular views is a non starter. Their worldview is rigid as it is based on their interpretation of a 2000 year old book. You might pick off some fringe people but there is a core demographic who will vote, donate, protest and do just about anything that signals virtue to their community and makes them feel like a "better Christian".

Mar 11, 2006
So "that's not what we're focused on" in the article equals "doesn't rule it out" in the headline. How many people who read just the headline are now telling others that Mississippi intends to ban all birth control.

My first thought on seeing the headline was that guy is an idiot. Then I read what he actually said....makes a huge difference.
We have a DNC and RNC parody thread. I think a media parody thread would be interesting.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Evangelicals see themselves as "not of this world" conforming their worldview to any other religious or secular views is a non starter. Their worldview is rigid as it is based on their interpretation of a 2000 year old book. You might pick off some fringe people but there is a core demographic who will vote, donate, protest and do just about anything that signals virtue to their community and makes them feel like a "better Christian".
Orthodox Jews are interpreting the same portions of the same ancient book(s) and reaching vastly different conclusions. Evangelicals are revising the ancient Jewish/Christian and modern Jewish understanding of the same writings. It's not like a comparison with the Quran. That's my point.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to claim it's right or wrong, I'm just pointing out why some people that are for legal abortion would be against this.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Isn't that really the problem, single issue voters?

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

IMHO, if a politician can’t simply say, “What? Of course we aren’t going to ban birth control” he is an idiot. That isn’t a subject that needs wiggle words even if the wiggle words aren’t quite as bad as the headline wiggle words.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
IMHO, if a politician can’t simply say, “What? Of course we aren’t going to ban birth control” he is an idiot. That isn’t a subject that needs wiggle words even if the wiggle words aren’t quite as bad as the headline wiggle words.
Maybe so, but that doesn't forgive the media for intentionally trying to twist it.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Maybe so, but that doesn't forgive the media for intentionally trying to twist it.
Saying "that is not what we are focused on at this time" certainly falls well within not ruling it out when given the chance to simply and easily rule it out.
I really can't believe there is a governor who can't say that birth control will remain legal and the whine around here is not about the absurdity of that but instead about the wording of the media describing his insanity.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I don't think protecting life is just an evangelical thing. This isn't that hard when it comes to abortions of convenience ...certainly its way harder when dealing with the life of the mother, rape, and incest. It also has nothing to do with "virtue signaling."..it's about taking the life of a living human being by choice. This has never been hard and it's never made any sense to millions that Roe v Wade ever became law. We have evolved to the point scientifically that we know that babies are babies and not just a lump of tissue...when we learned this laws have to change to fit that...or at least allow local populations to make the rules in their areas. Science is why this needs to change, not JUST evangelicals or other religions.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Wrong. When I was an unborn child and could have known how much hate, deadly violence, greed, war, selfishness and lack of love and respect there was in the world, I would have said, "No, thanks, I'll pass on that. Don't need to be a part of it."
And yet here you are not having taken your own life...nor, I would gather, have you asked anyone else to do it for you. Granted, on this issue many people feel as you do, but I don't think it's good to lessen the beauty of each life like you just did...who knows when we kill the person who would cure cancer...end aging...colonize outer space...or a host of other things.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So, I walked by the supreme court yesterday and there were only about 10 protestors...one crazy lady was yelling at the top of her lungs "I love my abortion! It was the best thing that ever happened to me!" Anyway, just thought I would give a report from the front line where nothing major happened yesterday except for a few crazy protestors and some counter ones being much more calm and less noisy. And, no, I was not in DC to take a stand either way, just in DC to see the mall and enjoy the good weather yesterday. Was a beautiful day, just want to make sure you guys know this hasn't taken over Washington by any means...lol

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I don't think protecting life is just an evangelical thing. This isn't that hard when it comes to abortions of convenience ...certainly its way harder when dealing with the life of the mother, rape, and incest. It also has nothing to do with "virtue signaling."..it's about taking the life of a living human being by choice. This has never been hard and it's never made any sense to millions that Roe v Wade ever became law. We have evolved to the point scientifically that we know that babies are babies and not just a lump of tissue...when we learned this laws have to change to fit that...or at least allow local populations to make the rules in their areas. Science is why this needs to change, not evangelicals or other religions.
Do not try to claim science for your position. Your position is not at all science.

If this was actually science and not evangelism, it would be scientists carrying the water on this subject, not evangelicals. In fact, the most utterly, absurdly anti-science politicians are the ones pushing this the most.

Here is a current scientific opinion on the politics of this:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/report/the-science-of-abortion-rights/