Rx's Summer Thread #2: Your favorite Bedlam experience

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
I've lived all over the country now, and back in Oklahoma. I've seen great football rivalries: Georgia-Auburn, Georgia-Florida, Alabama-Auburn, Ole Miss-Miss St., Ohio State-Michigan. But in other sports they just don't mean as much. I mean, Ohio State v Michigan in basketball is a good game, but there is no intensity, no hatred, and the wrestling... no one knows it happens even though the teams are usually good. Bedlam is the best all sports rivalry in the country. I think partly because it began in a sport other than football (wrestling), if there were a Bedlam tiddly winks match there would be hard fouls and the week before would be hate week. It matters. What's more, it matters to us. OSU fans turn out for Bedlam in every sport. So, it is a part of our soul.

What is your favorite Bedlam experience? It doesn't have to be football, can be any sport.

Mine was Bedlam football 1998. It was the first time I had ever been in the stands to see our football team beat them. But it was what happened afterwards that I remember so clearly, the fans rushing the field and tearing down the goal post. Me and my family were sitting in the WEZ. My wife and kids went down on the field, I staid in the stands just taking it all in. Surreal. Watched the East goalpost come down then go up in the stands and over the side. I felt pretty good about it because my kids were still in the WEZ. But then the mob came to tear down the West goalpost. I lost my wife and kids in the crowd, could see them, didn't want them anywhere near the goalpost, so I started heading down to the field to find them and get them out. Then I look down and see a student lift my son up to the crossbar which was tilting towards the ground. OMG! He was hanging there for what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only a second or two, then another student with more sense grabbed him and pulled him out and took him to his mother. But, there he was, for however long, hanging from the West goalpost.

Last edited:

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
We lost to OU 44-7 in 1999. Were you thinking 1997, 1995, 2001 or some other year? I’ll bet it was the 1998 41-26 game…..pretty big celebration after that one. Tony Lindsay played well according to the highlights on the Sports report but I never saw the game.

Last edited:

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
We lost to OU 44-7 in 1999. Were you thinking 1997, 1995, 2001 or some other year?
In the past 45 years, 1998 is the only game I have missed. I was in Vegas for a Best Western convention and the game was not televised. I also had an event during it. Just got a call from my wife that we had won. It felt blasphemous! I guess I should watch the YouTube of it!

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
So I hadn’t missed a football home game since 2013, and the single loudest craziest moment I’ve seen by far was the 2017 Calvin Bundage fumble recovery touchdown that was called back because of the small text in the rule book. The place building was absolutely nuts, the student section was a mob.

But I’m not sure anything is actually better because of the ending than Mitchell Solomon diving at the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010
2001 football for me. My best OSU friend and I watched the game in a sports bar in Tulsa, only OSU fans there. The bartender even bought us a beer for showing up. They had the game on a big screen and all the sooner fans were ribbing us for most of the game, but we sat right up front, and after the catch, we turned around and were the only ones left in the place! I was at the 1997 game in Norman where we thumped them pretty good, but somehow that feeling in 2001 was way better.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
1965, 17-16 good guys. That was the first time OSU had won bedlam in my lifetime. Also, backed it up 15-14 the next year. However, those were Gomer Jones years at OU. I personally got the most pleasure out of the 2011 thrashing.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
In the past 45 years, 1998 is the only game I have missed. I was in Vegas for a Best Western convention and the game was not televised. I also had an event during it. Just got a call from my wife that we had won. It felt blasphemous! I guess I should watch the YouTube of it!
I think I found our bedlam bad luck charm

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I've lived all over the country now, and back in Oklahoma. I've seen great football rivalries: Georgia-Auburn, Georgia-Florida, Alabama-Auburn, Ole Miss-Miss St., Ohio State-Michigan. But in other sports they just don't mean as much. I mean, Ohio State v Michigan in basketball is a good game, but there is no intensity, no hatred, and the wrestling... no one knows it happens even though the teams are usually good. Bedlam is the best all sports rivalry in the country. I think partly because it began in a sport other than football (wrestling), if there were a Bedlam tiddly winks match there would be hard fouls and the week before would be hate week. It matters. What's more, it matters to us. OSU fans turn out for Bedlam in every sport. So, it is a part of our soul.

What is your favorite Bedlam experience? It doesn't have to be football, can be any sport.

Mine was Bedlam football 1998. It was the first time I had ever been in the stands to see our football team beat them. But it was what happened afterwards that I remember so clearly, the fans rushing the field and tearing down the goal post. Me and my family were sitting in the WEZ. My wife and kids went down on the field, I staid in the stands just taking it all in. Surreal. Watched the East goalpost come down then go up in the stands and over the side. I felt pretty good about it because my kids were still in the WEZ. But then the mob came to tear down the West goalpost. I lost my wife and kids in the crowd, could see them, didn't want them anywhere near the goalpost, so I started heading down to the field to find them and get them out. Then I look down and see a student lift my son up to the crossbar which was tilting towards the ground. OMG! He was hanging there for what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only a second or two, then another student with more sense grabbed him and pulled him out and took him to his mother. But, there he was, for however long, hanging from the West goalpost.
Is this thread #1 or #2?

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
My all time favorite, watched it from right above our dugout, we wound up winning on a walk off dinger by a kid that was red shirting but had to play due to all the ejections. His first college at bat.

https://youtu.be/ltDZimdHk9M

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Tony Allen's dunk in Norman. Looked everywhere and cannot find it. Was the perfect summation of that team and season.

Rashaun is still open.

Ryan Broyles getting blasted on INT, only wish it had been harder.

1998. I was under said goal post when it came down on east side left upright. Like right under it. Like grabbed it. Tried to steal the little orange flag off the end but couldn't get it off and then goal post left for stands. I remember the announcer (may have been Mr Reese I think) sternly pleading for the post not to go over the side.

H2Orange

Sitting on the Group W bench
A/V Subscriber
Nov 17, 2007
Edmond
1976 in Norman. Sitting in the OU student section with two buddies and a half gallon of Jack. The guy in charge of the booze never did anything half ass. Told him to get a couple of pints to stick in our boots and he shows up with a half gallon and then puts it in his waistband and buttons up his jacket. He looked like Pinto leaving the grocery store in Animal House. Terry Miller had a big game. Willie Lester sealed the game with an INT off Dean the Stream. 31-24 Pokes beat the No. 5 Sooners, outscoring them 18-3 in the second half. Needless to say we got hammered, raised hell, and shared some of our Jack with the student section.

Sep 12, 2008
Mitch Shelton pinning Steve "Dr Death" Williams!! Oh what a night that was...

This was the scene: Heading into the heavyweight finale, favored OU led OSU 17-14. And next up was the Sooners’ unbeaten (9-0-1), third-ranked Steve “Dr. Death” Williams, a three-time all-America, against Mitch Shelton, a baby-faced, 420-pound junior college transfer with a baby-faced 9-5 record.

For once, OU and OSU partisans agreed: It was over. “Dr. Death” never lost to what he called, among other things, “those Aggies.”

Mitch Shelton, unknown OSU heavyweight, responded to those stomps and chants by pinning “Dr. Death” in 3 minutes, 41 seconds. Six points for OSU the original Stillwater Six. And OSU 20, OU 17.

The look on Steve Williams face was priceless!

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Mitch Shelton pinning Steve "Dr Death" Williams!! Oh what a night that was...

This was the scene: Heading into the heavyweight finale, favored OU led OSU 17-14. And next up was the Sooners’ unbeaten (9-0-1), third-ranked Steve “Dr. Death” Williams, a three-time all-America, against Mitch Shelton, a baby-faced, 420-pound junior college transfer with a baby-faced 9-5 record.

For once, OU and OSU partisans agreed: It was over. “Dr. Death” never lost to what he called, among other things, “those Aggies.”

Mitch Shelton, unknown OSU heavyweight, responded to those stomps and chants by pinning “Dr. Death” in 3 minutes, 41 seconds. Six points for OSU the original Stillwater Six. And OSU 20, OU 17.

The look on Steve Williams face was priceless!
Shooting a double leg on a 350 pound guy, not a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
1976 in Norman. Sitting in the OU student section with two buddies and a half gallon of Jack. The guy in charge of the booze never did anything half ass. Told him to get a couple of pints to stick in our boots and he shows up with a half gallon and then puts it in his waistband and buttons up his jacket. He looked like Pinto leaving the grocery store in Animal House. Terry Miller had a big game. Willie Lester sealed the game with an INT off Dean the Stream. 31-24 Pokes beat the No. 5 Sooners, outscoring them 18-3 in the second half. Needless to say we got hammered, raised hell, and shared some of our Jack with the student section.
1. This game, and the long TD run by Terry Miller. I was Drum Major of the OSU band and we were in the end zone stands; TM ran right down the side line toward us.

2. OU leaving the Big 12 in 2021 so we could finally get out from under their shadow.