Rx Summer Thread #4: Where did you live in Stillwater?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
In the fall of 1973 Wilham South, 8th floor. I remember some coeds putting on racy shows in the dorm room windows of Wlhlam North some weekend nights. Then in a sub-divided house on S. Duck where RCB bank is now, and then a fraternity house on S Hester. We could walk out the back of our house to the strip on the opposite side of the block. Finally married student housing my senior year; we were in the ablolute last unit, as far from the campus as we could be. We walked to campus because we couldn't afford gas, and most of my classes were in the business building, as far to the opposite side of campus as it could be. I finally bought a used bike to make the commute.

My young bride and I were incredibly poor but very happy. Both of us worked several nights a week. A grocery store had a sale on canned tuna at an incredibly low price, so we scraped all our money together to buy a case of canned tuna. We had tuna for almost every meal: tuna casserole, tuna sandwiches, tuna patties, tuna salad. After we graduated I did not eat tuna for at least 10 years. Got a great job in Houston in 1977, and off we went. The company offered us a moving van, but we said it wouldn't be needed. All of our worldly possessions, including my wife's house plants, fit in my Plymouth Duster. Doesn't seem that long ago.....

Last edited:

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
Three places
1) Fraternity house for first 3 years. Back then you could have beer and girls in the house.
2) Rented a house directly across from Kappa sorority house for a year with three roommates.. Convenient that I starting dating a girl that lived in Kappa during the time. Mice owned that house. Would feel them crawling under our sofa.
3) house on Husband near McDonalds for a semester. My buddy’s family owned a 1 bedroom. I slept in main room on the floor. No cable and no phone. Had a VCR copy of Caddyshack and Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure. Watched those at lunch most everyday. Lots of bologna sandwiches.

My daughter, OSU senior this year, currently lives in a large house with 5 of her sorority sisters. It is like a palace next to anything I ever lived in.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
802, 806, & 808 S. Hester. Nice little bike ride to campus, Consumer's IGA was right nearby, Mazzio's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, & most importantly a 24 hour Winchell's Donuts!

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
802, 806, & 808 S. Hester. Nice little bike ride to campus, Consumer's IGA was right nearby, Mazzio's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, & most importantly a 24 hour Winchell's Donuts!
Ah, Consumer's IGA. My freshman or sophomore year they were doing a Let's Go To The Races promotion, where you got a ticket when you bought groceries and each peel off ticket gave you a horse number on 6 or 8 horse races they'd show at 6:30 on Monday (?) nights. So we'd go in there, usually near closing time, and with 2-3 of us in the checkout line one would grab a handful of the tickets from beside another register. It really didn't seem like stealing since they were giving them away anyway (of course it was). I was the designated handler of tickets, so I had to peel off 20-50 of them and make a paper/pencil version of a spreadsheet (it was the late 1970s) with our winning numbers, then watch the show.

Being that most of the winning tickets paid a dollar or two, we were able to win tens of dollars in 3-4 months.

Oct 1, 2006
Lagos, Nigeria
Ah, Consumer's IGA. My freshman or sophomore year they were doing a Let's Go To The Races promotion, where you got a ticket when you bought groceries and each peel off ticket gave you a horse number on 6 or 8 horse races they'd show at 6:30 on Monday (?) nights. So we'd go in there, usually near closing time, and with 2-3 of us in the checkout line one would grab a handful of the tickets from beside another register. It really didn't seem like stealing since they were giving them away anyway (of course it was). I was the designated handler of tickets, so I had to peel off 20-50 of them and make a paper/pencil version of a spreadsheet (it was the late 1970s) with our winning numbers, then watch the show.

Being that most of the winning tickets paid a dollar or two, we were able to win tens of dollars in 3-4 months.
I remember those horse racing tickets from when I was a little kid. I think my parents won a couple of dollars one time and we went to Braum's for ice cream.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Lived many places around Stillwater, but the 2 most memorable where on Ramsey St. right across the street from Wendy's. We were the 2nd house on the block on the west side of the street. It was a big party house that we rented from "Uncle Rob" at Cartunes. 5 bedroom house with full basement, came with a pool table, a hot tub, and a beer tab and keg refrigerator built into the kitchen cabinets. The big live venue on the strip backed up to our backyard. I don't even remember what they were calling it back then (94-95) but it was at one time the Wormy Dog Concert Hall. Had a lot of crazy times in that house and my grades reflected it while living there. We always called it the Pink House when we lived there because that's what color it was.

Also lived in the house directly across the street from Shortcakes to the west for a semester.

Honorable mention....Cimmaron Townhomes

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Three places
1) Fraternity house for first 3 years. Back then you could have beer and girls in the house.
2) Rented a house directly across from Kappa sorority house for a year with three roommates.. Convenient that I starting dating a girl that lived in Kappa during the time. Mice owned that house. Would feel them crawling under our sofa.
3) house on Husband near McDonalds for a semester. My buddy’s family owned a 1 bedroom. I slept in main room on the floor. No cable and no phone. Had a VCR copy of Caddyshack and Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure. Watched those at lunch most everyday. Lots of bologna sandwiches.

My daughter, OSU senior this year, currently lives in a large house with 5 of her sorority sisters. It is like a palace next to anything I ever lived in.
Back when college was like a four year camping trip. Hot dogs with real chili was gourmet food.

Jun 29, 2004
Northwest OK
First two years on Kerr 6 (Rooms 616 and 615). Then moved a trailer house into the old B&H Mobile Home Park (2313 S. Walnut) for my last three years. Two years with roommates, one with my wife.

Nov 8, 2013
If serious, it would be senselessly wrong to rename Boomer Lake, due to history. This is because the Boomers came before the Sooners, most notably when they illegally tried to settle in Stillwater in 1884 and had to be removed by federal officers. One of the leaders of the Boomer movement is buried at Boomer Lake. Payne County is named after him.

A case can be made that OU wrongly stole its Boomer Sooner theme from OSU and Stillwater. Or maybe the problem is that OSU didn't claim it first.
I grew up in Oklahoma from 3rd grade through college and actually did not know the connection of "Boomer" with the Land Run or opening of Oklahoma territory to settlement. I've known the historical meaning of the "S-word", of course, and for years I have explained to folks out of state that it basically means "cheater". That usually gets a pretty good chuckle out of them.

As for the name of the lake... even with the historical context no better understood, I am still 100% for changing the name.

Nov 8, 2013
As for where I lived... Kerr for 2 years and in a rental house on Benjamin Drive (behind what were then pretty new movie theaters!) for 3 years. Yeah... 2+3=5.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
If serious, it would be senselessly wrong to rename Boomer Lake, due to history. This is because the Boomers came before the Sooners, most notably when they illegally tried to settle in Stillwater in 1884 and had to be removed by federal officers. One of the leaders of the Boomer movement is buried at Boomer Lake. Payne County is named after him.

A case can be made that OU wrongly stole its Boomer Sooner theme from OSU and Stillwater. Or maybe the problem is that OSU didn't claim it first.
That's some revisionist history right there.

Jan 1, 2011
tx
Too long ago to remember addresses, i do remember they were all off campus and dumps. Only good memories is of going to a family meal house where Stillwater ladies served up all you can eat. They kept placing large bowls of food on the table. Good homecooking!

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Kerr 9, Kerr 3 (two years), a studio apartment behind Rib Crib/next to Walmart and then a duplex on the NORTH side of town next to Stillwater Designs before they built the Kicker facility next to the lake.

stonewallpoke

Durable Brigade
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Al Asad Airbase, Iraq
6th floor Wentz
2nd floor Patchin
A house on S Monticello
A house on S Blakeley
The latter two were OSU band party locations, and I have no idea how we didn’t get fined more than we did by SPD.