Rx Summer Thread #1: Your all-time greatest Bedlam story

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
October 24, 1998. OSU 41, OU 26. I was sitting in the West End Zone with my family, my son was 8 and my daughter was 5. After the game was over everyone rushed the field. My wife wanted to take the kids down onto the field. The East goalpost was coming down, but I felt pretty safe because we were in the West end zone. I watched the piece of the goal post work it's way up the South side and over. Then the crowd came to the WEZ. The WEZ goal posts started rocking. I couldn't see my kids. Then I saw the WEZ goal post tilt and someone lifted my son up so he could get a grip on it, he was hanging from the cross bar. Fortunately before it went any further his mother got him down. But I can honestly say that, for a split second, my 8 yo son helped bring down the WEZ GP in 1998.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I was in the hospitality room at a basketball tournament surrounded by fans of the goon on a cold dank Saturday night. It comes down to the last play and Boob Stoops decides to kick it again to the Cheetah. Of course all fans of goon and followers of Boob are in total agreement with this move. Oh the silence as The Freak was streaking down the side line. The anguish in the search for flags on the field, the shock that Boob had just choked. It was so wonderful.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
I'm 77 and there are a scant 12 W's in my lifetime, so it's pretty tough discount any as being not extra special. However, 2011 and the above 2014 really stand out.

Edit: The first W in my life was at age 8 months. The next one I was a junior at OSU. Them's slim pickins.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Kick it again Bob.
Was in Childress Texas for my grandmothers 100th birthday. we spent most of the day at the day long celebration but several of us made an excuse to slip away so we could watch the end of the game: Me (the only OSU fan), my father, brother and nephew (all ou fans). I remember feeling like it was all but over and then out of nowhere, Bob decides to re-kick. I said why is he re-kicking, the ou fans collectively seemed to support it, wondering why I would be questioning the great bob stoops. I just shrugged my shoulders and said I definitely wouldn't re-kick.

Then during the return, I kept repeating: "That's why you don't re-kick, that's why you don't re-kick, that's why you don't re-kick" getting louder and louder each time as the others just sat there stunned....and then they just sat there in silence as OSU went on to win in OT. Went back to the birthday celebration and as most of my family there were either UT fans, or just anti-ou, they were giving the ou fans a hard time the rest of the night. So satisfying.

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
It is 1995. A freak snowstorm hits Tulsa on Friday night. Buddy of mine calls me early Saturday morning and tells me that his OU season ticket holder dad is not going to the game so I can have one of his tickets. The other ticket went to another bud but we needed his wife to be the driver so we had to scrounge up a ticket when we got there. Dudes tickets were about 5 rows behind the OU bench at the 45 yard line. I snuck down there at sat with them . Game is almost over and all the Poke fans start to crowd the rail to rush the field. The couple I was with were OU fans so they weren’t having any of that nonsense. So I get to see all the OSU people storm the field.

Jun 20, 2013
In 2011 we stormed the field. Ran into Herschel Sims in the west endzone. I told him the next year was his year, be ready to crush it. What could have been. :facepalm:

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
1995:

I was 18 years old and that morning my dad and I just thought, "I have a good feeling this year, let's drive to Norman and go watch."

Back then tickets to OU football were easy to get, I think we maybe paid $25 each to a scalper. We sat in the north end zone. Tone Jones' long pass to Terrance Richardson was right in front of us, as was the subsequent QB sneak.

When the game was over, a 12-0 Cowboy win, we just climbed the wall (no one stopped us) and ran through the OU band to the south end zone where OSU fans were celebrating. We stayed for about an hour and ran into a lot of friends, tore up some of the turf, and hugged a lot of players. Sadly I was born in 1977, it was the first win in my lifetime (just 3 years after the awful 15-15 tie).

On the drive home, KSPI played "Celebrate" by Kool and the Gang on repeat, and there was a pretty cool impromptu pep rally at Lewis Field when the team arrive back.

Definitely a special day for me and my dad.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I seen several mentions of the 95 game. I was a student at OSU at the time. Both me and my roommate were at Camp Gruber that weekend for national guard drill. I can still remember it clearly, we heard about the game and both had the same thought; can't believe we're going to miss the celebration in Stillwater tonight.... seriously thought about going awol...well half joked about it at anyway.

Dec 30, 2008
Canyon Texas
The 1998 game and for various reasons. It was the only time that I was at a game when we beat those people. I had been in the hospital the previous Sunday with a bad asthma attack and really should not have gone. But I went, and it was glorious. Got back home on Sunday, worn out, and then went very, very bad., so bad that I almost died in the ambulance going to the hospital in Amarillo. They intubated me. I pulled through, thankfully. I should not have gone. But, then again, it was the right thing to do. Beat ou. Loyal and True.

Sep 29, 2005
NW OKC
www.thomasandcathy.blogspot.com
Each Bedlam football win is sweet (sadly not enough though) and I have a memory of each one since 1995. One that stands out is 1997 in Norman. It's in the 2nd half, we have a 3rd and 7. Usually an obvious passing situation but a counter play to Jamaal Fobbs out of the "I" Formation is the call and we easily pick up the first down. It was so awesome to stick it down their throats with a standard running play! Everything about 2011 was awesome and the 2021 win was about as exciting as a victory can get!

Jun 14, 2011
January of 2003. Victor Williams hits a shot with 3.6 left on the (game) clock to go up by two over the 5th ranked fighting Samsung's. 3.6 game seconds later, we rush the court and I can't hear anything except ringing or speak above a hoarse whisper for a few hours later.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
The 1998 game and for various reasons. It was the only time that I was at a game when we beat those people. I had been in the hospital the previous Sunday with a bad asthma attack and really should not have gone. But I went, and it was glorious. Got back home on Sunday, worn out, and then went very, very bad., so bad that I almost died in the ambulance going to the hospital in Amarillo. They intubated me. I pulled through, thankfully. I should not have gone. But, then again, it was the right thing to do. Beat ou. Loyal and True.
You might be my hero.