Russia invades Ukraine

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Seriously! These are the same people that wanted to hang Democrats by their toes for not supporting the Iraq war. How quickly we forget.
Appeasement AFTER extreme Russian aggression in which they illegally annexed land not belonging to them and aggressively rattling their Nuke sword

Reagan must be spinning right now. I know1000% Reagan would disown this so called group of GOP for their backing and support of Russia right now in this context

I often wear a Reagan / Bush shirt. People get quite the surprise when they comment on it an say nice shirt ! And I reply.."real Republicans and not these Fascist that call themselves GOP today"

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Seriously! These are the same people that wanted to hang Democrats by their toes for not supporting the Iraq war. How quickly we forget.
One of the biggest problems facing our world is the the depth of tribalism we see on a daily basis from news outlets, politicians, viewers, and voters. It often necessitates hypocrisy to continue defending their side, because their side is built on various conflicting ideologies requiring the full acceptance (or lack of awareness) of cognitive dissonance. This is scary, because it basically leads to the justification of anything so long as the goal is destruction of the opposition.

In this case, we see it on full display on the right with their willingness to actually defend Russia/Putin and their completely insane reasons for attacking another country. It's 100% hypocrisy, and they just don't care. Everything is about defending their tribe at this point, and logic be damned.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010
One of the biggest problems facing our world is the the depth of tribalism we see on a daily basis from news outlets, politicians, viewers, and voters. It often necessitates hypocrisy to continue defending their side, because their side is built on various conflicting ideologies (requiring the full acceptance of cognitive dissonance). This is scary, because it basically leads to the justification of anything so long as the goal is destruction of the opposition.

In this case, we see it on full display on the right with their willingness to actually defend Russia/Putin and their completely insane reasons for attacking another country. It's 100% hypocrisy, and they just don't care. Everything is about defending their tribe at this point, and logic be damned.
I really think a viable 3rd party would go a long way to change that mentality. Maybe not, but it sure seems like it would add some nuance to all the issues, and make it much more difficult for the two party system to divide us down the middle.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I really think a viable 3rd party would go a long way to change that mentality. Maybe not, but it sure seems like it would add some nuance to all the issues, and make it much more difficult for the two party system to divide us down the middle.
Which is a major reason it hasn’t happened yet.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
So I guess appeasement is ok now?? What a radical change in philosophy.
I emphasized the Biden is an idiot part because I think it's really just about opposing anything he does. They started out going both hawkish and isolationist paths because Biden went a middle path. It seems to have coalesced around the isolationist path. I don't think ideology has anything to do with it. Fwiw, I don't think the response would be much different from democrats had Trump been the one in power. There'd still be opposition largely divorced from ideology.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Unfortunately, the best way for a member of Congress to run for re-election is to oppose a sitting president of the "other" party. I guess it's always been that way, but still sucks and seems to be getting worse. Not one shred of integrity in that building.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
The below excerpt is the closing of this linked article

Putin deposed, Russia broken up, and NATO in a face-off with China: As Ukraine sees a path toward victory and a desperate Vladimir hits the panic button, expert argues THIS is how the war could end

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-war-end-Putin-deposed-Russia-broken-up.html

'Russia will have to come to terms with the fact that it is no longer a world power, but a state - a Black Sea state whose system nobody seeks to imitate,' he said. 'And what we're going to see and are seeing now is that the domination of this region will be up to Turkey.'

Equipped with the latest-generation US fighter jets and hypersonic missiles, Mr Sevimlisoy believes that Turkey - alongside a Ukrainian military adept at fighting Russia - will be the key to Western influence in the region and further beyond into central Asia.

This is necessary, he says, because it will put NATO and the West in a strong position to compete with Beijing.

'In any region where Russian influence wanes, we have to make sure we have to create regional partnerships, to have permanent presences,' he said.

We have to move into vacuums, seek to exert influence, and then we have to face up to the People's Republic of China. China is globally connected superpower, and we have to combat them effectively.

We have far more military experience within NATO than the Chinese do, and that is to our advantage, but we have to put boots on ground in these places, to ensure that when the time comes to stand up to them - and that time will come - we're not playing catch-up.'

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Not confirmed completely and may be propaganda used to continue the rout currently happening in kherson, but as the Ukrainians are routing the russians in the north of the sector, a secondary push from the west of kherson involving over 100 armored vehicles is taking place. If true and Russian forces there don't hold, up to 25k Russian forces on west bank of the denipro will be cut off from escape.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Not confirmed completely and may be propaganda used to continue the rout currently happening in kherson, but as the Ukrainians are routing the russians in the north of the sector, a secondary push from the west of kherson involving over 100 armored vehicles is taking place. If true and Russian forces there don't hold, up to 25k Russian forces on west bank of the denipro will be cut off from escape.

Cautiously optimistic is the term

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

After every thing the Ukraine military has already done to Russia at this point ...I can only assume these types of reports are closer to truth than fiction

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Unfortunately, the best way for a member of Congress to run for re-election is to oppose a sitting president of the "other" party. I guess it's always been that way, but still sucks and seems to be getting worse. Not one shred of integrity in that building.
It's also one or the best ways to get ratings. Find a villain, oppose everything they do, yell it into a camera.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
seems like a quick decision target of opportunity that came open and the US Intel boots on the ground advising Ukraine (you know they are there) took it and ended up with bad intel and got the daughter instead of the intended target because she was driving her dads car.

Very Important event here and One Putin will most likely Use as Propaganda to expand his operations

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Now OPEC cuts production, oil prices rise again, Putin sells oil for more money and all of us take it on the chin again.
OPEC has consistently missed their targets lately. Turns out shutting down the world has consequences years down the line. Also, global inflation is eating into demand for energy, OPEC is trying to keep prices propped up.

Lastly, Putin isn't making anyone 'take it on the chin'. He's desperate. His country, government, and economy are all on the verge of collapse.