Russia invades Ukraine

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
It is the sentence compared to other people convicted that I'm interested in. I believe Binman posted something to the effect that the sentence is way out of line for the amount she had, but I may have read it wrong. I find it hard to believe that Russia would be interested in incarcerating tons of people for miniscule amounts of hash/weed, but would be more interested in collecting a fine in most cases.
1 in 4 convictions (25%) in the entire Russian prison system is for drugs and they have a VERY high incarceration rate that is often higher than the US in recent history but the two countries are now competitive in their prison systems...us prison population is 1 in every 5 people in for drug offence or 20% and used to be down as low as 15%

They are now very similar incarcerations' rates but you can see from the info below Russia is coming WAY down from 527 per 100k in 2011 to 328 in 2021.

The incarceration rate in Russia, calculated as the prison population per 100 thousand people, was observed at 328.1 on January 31, 2021, marking a decline compared to the previous year. In 2011, the rate was significantly higher, measuring at 527.

the current US incarceration rate

358 per 100,000 U.S. residents

The combined state and federal imprisonment rate for 2020 (358 per 100,000 U.S. residents) represented a decrease of 15% from 2019 (419 per 100,000 U.S. residents) and a decrease of 28% from 2010 (500 per 100,000 U.S. residents) (figure 1).Dec 31, 2021

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I guess the sentence is just a bad combination of smuggling, she's an American, and Putin is trying to send a message while concurrently plotting a prisoner exchange that benefits him.
Bingo...gotta have a Harsh sentence on the American Citizen first before setting this up
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1555582458761986048

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Those mighty russkies
HAHAH the North Korean military still uses the T-62 tank.

To put that into perspective.

When the US invaded Iraq back in Bush 1 days....Iraq was rolling with the T-72 tanks...the predecessor to the T-62 the NK military STILL uses to this day.

and NK still employing a variant of the V2 rocket the Nazi's used in WWII against London
1659722491649.png

NK might as well send 100,000 Troops and a bunch of Scrap Metal to Russia because that is basically all it is going to be. IF NK does this, they will be sending their young men to a pure slaughter against modern weapons.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
HAHAH the North Korean military still uses the T-62 tank.

To put that into perspective.

When the US invaded Iraq back in Bush 1 days....Iraq was rolling with the T-72 tanks...the predecessor to the T-62 the NK military STILL uses to this day.

and NK still employing a variant of the V2 rocket the Nazi's used in WWII against London
View attachment 96687

NK might as well send 100,000 Troops and a bunch of Scrap Metal to Russia because that is basically all it is going to be. IF NK does this, they will be sending their young men to a pure slaughter against modern weapons.
Even those are non functioning props

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Even those are non functioning props
there are some amazing YouTube videos put out by South Korea of Former North Korean soldiers who defected watching videos and seeing pics of modern military equipment owned by the US and the UK and it is amazing to see what they say about it vrs what they were told about it.

They also talk about the conditions, training, lack of ammo, food etc.

It is VERY sad and VERY eye opening at the same time. Many of the men join the military just to have something to eat and a warm place to sleep at night..and neither of those are guaranteed even for the soldiers.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Really shows the purity of their fight. When DPRK joins, you're definitely on the right side of history
This is a quote used in the article from a Russian military expert on tv

“If North Korean volunteers with their artillery systems, wealth of experience with counter battery warfare and large calibre multiple launch rocket systems, made in North Korea, want to participate in the conflict, well let’s give the green light to their volunteer impulse.”

He said: “If North Korea expresses a desire to meet its international duty to fight against Ukrainian fascism, we should let them.”

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
This is a quote used in the article from a Russian military expert on tv

“If North Korean volunteers with their artillery systems, wealth of experience with counter battery warfare and large calibre multiple launch rocket systems, made in North Korea, want to participate in the conflict, well let’s give the green light to their volunteer impulse.”

He said: “If North Korea expresses a desire to meet its international duty to fight against Ukrainian fascism, we should let them.”
It would be funny if it weren't so sad. The "volunteer impulse" was particularly rich.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
there are some amazing YouTube videos put out by South Korea of Former North Korean soldiers who defected watching videos and seeing pics of modern military equipment owned by the US and the UK and it is amazing to see what they say about it vrs what they were told about it.

They also talk about the conditions, training, lack of ammo, food etc.

It is VERY sad and VERY eye opening at the same time. Many of the men join the military just to have something to eat and a warm place to sleep at night..and neither of those are guaranteed even for the soldiers.
Im not even talking about NK totally. The USSR was the same way.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The Soviet Union in the 1950s is a whole different animal than Russia in 2022.
I'm a WWII buff....I don't see any way the Allies win the war without Russia at that time. They were just so massive and every bit as powerful as the US and Germany

WWII era Soviet Red Army very well may have been one of the most bad ass armies in the history of this planet at that specific time and place and it has done nothing but deteriorated since that time

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I'm a WWII buff....I don't see any way the Allies win the war without Russia at that time. They were just so massive and every bit as powerful as the US and Germany

WWII era Soviet Red Army very well may have been one of the most bad ass armies in the history of this planet at that specific time and place and it has done nothing but deteriorated since that time
They had numbers and leadership willing to send them to die. They didn't have great stuff. But we didn't either. We were behind and trying to catch up at the time of Pearl Harbor.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
They had numbers and leadership willing to send them to die. They didn't have great stuff. But we didn't either. We were behind and trying to catch up at the time of Pearl Harbor.
Yeah at the start of the war the only army on the planet that could stand to Germany was Russia.....by the end Russia had sacrificed many more lives than any other country to crush Germany but in doing so had allowed the US to catch up

IF Russia would have had the tech and scientific drive that Germany did prior to the start of WWII...I don't think anyone would have been able to stop them and they would have a legit shot at being the largest empire in history