Russia invades Ukraine

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
If Russia doesn't get this under control quickly it will spiral and will force NATO involvement in a region that is already surrounded by the Clouds of War

https://twitter.com/business/status/1554863941008109568

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Excessive IMHO, but that's just through the lense of an American citizen. Hopefully she'll soon return, and with a greater appreciation for what this country stands for than what other elites in this country try to portray.
I don't get how people are saying its unfair to her or excessive, it's THEIR laws! Go to a country and break THEIR laws and you can expect whatever punishment is typically associated with it. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I've watched enough Locked Up Abroad to know not to mess with drugs in any other country. You could get life or the death penalty.
WNBA Star Brittney Griner Sentenced To 9 Years In Russian Prison
CBS News
Published 10:13 AM CDT
Updated 10:34 AM CDT

American basketball star Brittney Griner was sentenced to 9 years in prison and a fine of 1 million rubles by a Russian court on Thursday, after she was found guilty of drug possession and smuggling. Prosecutors had asked that she receive 9 1/2 years in prison.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I don't get how people are saying its unfair to her or excessive, it's THEIR laws! Go to a country and break THEIR laws and you can expect whatever punishment is typically associated with it. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
I think you misinterpreted my comment. I agree 100% with your stance; I was just pointing out that from an American’s perspective based on our laws it seems excessive, but you’re correct, she isn’t protected by those laws and she’s now playing in someone else’s backyard.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Oh i wasn’t playing a game of gotcha with you. I am genuinely curious how her sentence stacks up versus a Russian citizen. I’m hoping some news outlet out there tells us this information instead of just using this story as clickbait.
IT IS in line with what an American who breaks this law would face

This is from 2021
A former employee of the U.S. Embassy in Moscow has been handed a 14-year prison term in Russia for illegal drug trafficking after he was caught entering the country with medical marijuana he says was prescribed to him after back surgery.
A court in the town of Khimki near Moscow said on June 17 that U.S. citizen Marc Fogel, who works as a teacher at the Anglo-American School in the Russian capital, was sentenced the day before.

It is 100% NOT in line with what a Russian Citizen would face

Prison time for Russian Citizens generally doesn't start until at least 6 grams or more is found.
Cannabis in Russia is illegal. Possession of up to 6 grams (or two grams of hashish) is an administrative offense, punishable by a fine or detention of 15 days.

Britney Griner was carrying
0.252 grams marijuana and 0.45 grams of hash oil, totaling 0.702 grams

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Oh i wasn’t playing a game of gotcha with you. I am genuinely curious how her sentence stacks up versus a Russian citizen. I’m hoping some news outlet out there tells us this information instead of just using this story as clickbait.
Yea, I'd actually like to know that myself. Hopefully she'll return and have a different perspective when the national anthem is played.

May 31, 2007
Concord
IT IS in line with what an American who breaks this law would face

This is from 2021
A former employee of the U.S. Embassy in Moscow has been handed a 14-year prison term in Russia for illegal drug trafficking after he was caught entering the country with medical marijuana he says was prescribed to him after back surgery.
A court in the town of Khimki near Moscow said on June 17 that U.S. citizen Marc Fogel, who works as a teacher at the Anglo-American School in the Russian capital, was sentenced the day before.

It is 100% NOT in line with what a Russian Citizen would face

Prison time for Russian Citizens generally doesn't start until at least 6 grams or more is found.
Cannabis in Russia is illegal. Possession of up to 6 grams (or two grams of hashish) is an administrative offense, punishable by a fine or detention of 15 days.

Britney Griner was carrying
0.252 grams marijuana and 0.45 grams of hash oil, totaling 0.702 grams
Your information for prison time for Russians, is that for bringing drugs into Russia or just for possession?

Nov 6, 2010
I think this is the issue and why it is clearly excessive.

Nov 6, 2010
Well from everything i've read, Russia has a 99% conviction rate, which means her sentence and guilty plea it isn't far fetched for their system and laws.
It is the sentence compared to other people convicted that I'm interested in. I believe Binman posted something to the effect that the sentence is way out of line for the amount she had, but I may have read it wrong. I find it hard to believe that Russia would be interested in incarcerating tons of people for miniscule amounts of hash/weed, but would be more interested in collecting a fine in most cases.