Russia invades Ukraine

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
What's going to really make this confusing is when China annexes eastern Russia to get to the oil reserves in the arctic. Literally no one would stop them.
Nato can't put a no fly zone over a sovereign country that Russia attacked because of Russian nukes. But, China could take part of Russia itself without concern for nuclear retaliation?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Maybe what? You think Rand Paul is giving cover to democrats by delaying inevitable vote that will pass with bipartisan support? Genuinely confused
well Rand Paul once hand delivered a note from Putin to Trump.

Pretty sure he isn't trying to cover democrats.

John McCain warned the Senate in 2017 that Rand Paul was working for Putin and this isn't the first time Paul has tried moved to block legislation that would hurt Russia.

"So I repeat again - the senator from Kentucky is now working for Vladimir Putin," the late senator said in the short video.
In the clip, McCain was discussing NATO membership for the Balkan nation of Montenegro. Paul had blocked a vote to ratify a treaty that would have allowed Montenegro to join the U.S.-led military alliance by refusing to agree to unanimous consent.

During those remarks on the Senate floor in 2017, McCain said that Paul "has no argument to be made. He has no justification for his objection to having a small nation be part of NATO, that is under assault from the Russians."

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
well Rand Paul once hand delivered a note from Putin to Trump.

Pretty sure he isn't trying to cover democrats.

John McCain warned the Senate in 2017 that Rand Paul was working for Putin and this isn't the first time Paul has tried moved to block legislation that would hurt Russia.

"So I repeat again - the senator from Kentucky is now working for Vladimir Putin," the late senator said in the short video.
In the clip, McCain was discussing NATO membership for the Balkan nation of Montenegro. Paul had blocked a vote to ratify a treaty that would have allowed Montenegro to join the U.S.-led military alliance by refusing to agree to unanimous consent.

During those remarks on the Senate floor in 2017, McCain said that Paul "has no argument to be made. He has no justification for his objection to having a small nation be part of NATO, that is under assault from the Russians."
Oh don't get me wrong, I did not think that. I was just trying to make sense of his confusing response. Clearly he's not interested in any real discussion or apparently being able to admit he was wrong. Very un-Ron Swanson.

This move was extremely Rand Paul. It's cloaked in libertarianism with stupid senate rules and an ulterior political motive.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I've said this before but Russia's military just looks like amateur hour. I guess eventually I'll stop being surprised. River crossings should be one of those things you have trained backwards and forwards. Are they just throwing a bunch of conscripts out there thinking they can overwhelm Ukraine.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Betting that is thanks to the large amounts of artillery we recently gave Ukraine.
Now the question for our leaders in Washington is. Are you in agreement with MTG or with Dan Crenshaw?

MTG/Rand Paul do not think US dollars invested into these devastating outcomes for the Russian Military is worth it and that the money should be spent here in America

Crenshaw thinks it is 100% worth it as it is exposing and destroying the Russian military without the loss of any American soldier life.

Paul blocked a bipartisan fast track of $40 billion more for more weapons' yesterday.

Russia once famously said they could defeat America from within without firing a single shot. Do we have that SAME opportunity right now to destroy Russia now without the American Military firing a single shot ?

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Now the question for our leaders in Washington is. Are you in agreement with MTG or with Dan Crenshaw?

MTG/Rand Paul do not think US dollars invested into these devastating outcomes for the Russian Military is worth it and that the money should be spent here in America

Crenshaw thinks it is 100% worth it as it is exposing and destroying the Russian military without the loss of any American soldier life.

Paul blocked a bipartisan fast track of $40 billion more for more weapons' yesterday.

Russia once famously said they could defeat America from within without firing a single shot. Do we have that SAME opportunity right now to destroy Russia now without the American Military firing a single shot ?
Russia looks weak for sure. Are they really? I know from a boots on the ground aspect and what Russia committed to the Ukraine war is sizeable. Do they have the technology that they bluster about? or are they really just paper tigers?

Apr 14, 2009
Well I know for sure that Rancid Paul and Markwayne Mullin‘s are best buddies. I’m sure that money exchanged hands between the two A-holes
For Paul to make the TV advertisement.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Nato can't put a no fly zone over a sovereign country that Russia attacked because of Russian nukes. But, China could take part of Russia itself without concern for nuclear retaliation?
Just an @UrbanCowboy1 theory, but I think nukes are a card that doesn't get played by any sane country anymore. The Ukraine situation is showing (for now, at least) that conventional warfare still has an important role in modern combat. With that in mind, Russia has no conventional force to deploy as almost all their assets are getting their butts handed to them right now. I don't know if Russia would be willing to drop a bomb on enemy forces inside their own country. They would be nuking their own country.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Just an @UrbanCowboy1 theory, but I think nukes are a card that doesn't get played by any sane country anymore. The Ukraine situation is showing (for now, at least) that conventional warfare still has an important role in modern combat. With that in mind, Russia has no conventional force to deploy as almost all their assets are getting their butts handed to them right now. I don't know if Russia would be willing to drop a bomb on enemy forces inside their own country. They would be nuking their own country.
What were to happen if their nukes were as "State of the art" as the rest of their military?

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Will Russia be around to stop them?
The potential for another war over land and resources between those two has been discussed for several years.

Prepare for the disappearance of Russia
Prepare for the disappearance of Russia | The Hill

If the Russian Federation falls apart, it will be due to the strains and weaknesses inherent in the system, the inability of Putin to keep its parts together and its elites happy, and the catastrophic impact on Russia of his idiotic decision to invade Ukraine with an army that was unprepared for such an adventure. Western military and economic assistance to Ukraine has strengthened Ukraine and improved its war effort, but the disintegrating processes currently affecting Russia would be taking place even if Western assistance had been minimal.

Now, as in 1991, the Russian Federation’s provinces and non-Russian autonomous republics will be forced to fend for themselves as they witness the Russian political and economic system crumble around them. There was already a “parade of sovereignties” during the dysfunctional 1990s; there will be another one in the 2020s. The Russian Federation could metamorphose into 10 or more states, only one of which would be known as Russia. That would change the face of Eurasia forever.

Stopping this process likely will not be possible. If the West were to abandon all its sanctions tomorrow, disintegration would be slowed down, but not halted. Indeed, slowing it down might be worse than letting it take its course. The longer the disintegration, the greater the cost in lives. All the West can, and must, do is prepare for a probable outcome: the disappearance of Russia as we know it.

Expect a War Between Russia and China in the 2020s
Expect a War Between Russia and China in the 2020s (besacenter.org)

In fact, signs already abound of Russian nervousness as China relentlessly pushes its Silk Road initiatives, coercive economic practices, and diplomatic blandishments deep into the entire former Soviet space in Central Asia. Although the Chinese have so far refrained from asserting strategic-security rights in the geopolitical arc along Russia’s southern periphery, it is only a matter of time before some hyper-nationalist general in Beijing does so. The Russians can be relied upon to react with unrestrained fury.

But what will likely drive Russia to a defensive war with China before the next decade is out is the growing probability of Chinese territorial encroachment into Russia’s sparsely populated far eastern region bordering the Pacific. The Russian territories north of the Amur and east of the Ussuri Rivers in eastern-Central Asia, which currently demarcate the agreed boundaries between the two countries, are historically and insistently claimed by China. Chinese military maps even show these areas as Chinese territories.

These territorial claims, combined with the sheer population disparities – over 130 million people live in three Chinese provinces bordering Russia’s Far East, where the population is estimated at less than 8 million – and the need to secure long-term access to living space and natural resources almost preordains that Beijing will sooner or later demand revisions to what it calls “unequal” border treaties with Czarist Russia dating back to the mid-19th century. And although the Russians are equally bound to resist, it is not inconceivable that China at some point will demand access or land-lease rights to parts of Russia’s Far East, or, failing that, that the Chinese army will simply march across the border into Vladivostok, Russia’s only warm water access to the Pacific, to stamp China’s historic claim and rights to the region.