Roundabouts. Stossel right again.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
It all comes down to proper design. A large and efficient roundabout can be better than a regular intersection, but a small and inefficient roundabout (like the one in downtown Stillwater) doesn't work very well. For the life of me, I will never understand why they built a roundabout a few blocks away from a fire station that isn't large enough to accommodate fire trucks.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
We have installed so many roundabouts in our area recently that I have lost count. Most of them are definitely better than another stoplight. However, we have one that is on a busy intersection that is just off downtown and catches all the nightlife and beach traffic. The cars going North to South and vice versa just humm right through it and at times don’t allow enought space for cars coming from the East. It is crazy. Damn tourists just sit there waiting for an invitation.

Now me, I just stick the nose of my car out there and just dare someone to hit me. I’m getting myself a spot. I have reservations that I’m late for damn it.

Here it is during a much calmer time.

Can the next street traffic enhancement topic be diverging diamonds? Didn’t think I would like those as much as I have. They really do make heavy traffic areas around the interstate much easier to get through.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
We have installed so many roundabouts in our area recently that I have lost count. Most of them are definitely better than another stoplight. However, we have one that is on a busy intersection that is just off downtown and catches all the nightlife and beach traffic. The cars going North to South and vice versa just humm right through it and at times don’t allow enought space for cars coming from the East. It is crazy. Damn tourists just sit there waiting for an invitation.

Now me, I just stick the nose of my car out there and just dare someone to hit me. I’m getting myself a spot. I have reservations that I’m late for damn it.

Can the next street traffic enhancement topic be diverging diamonds? Didn’t think I would like those as much as I have. They really do make heavy traffic areas around the interstate much easier to get through.
That one was still being built when I left Sarasota. My observations in using the many of them in Sarasota is that for the most part they work well and people know how to use them. You do however, occasionally get behind that person that doesn't understand that they can enter it at the same time as people entering from other directions, but that is no worse than getting behind someone who doesn't know how to use a four way stop.

The first diverging diamond I came across was in Springfield, MO and at that point I had never heard of them and it freaked me out, but after having used a few I agree they do make the traffic better at the intersections where they have them.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
In general, I like them. Stillwater sticking one on main street? STUPID!!
and there's one in Hays Kansas that I just dealt with this weekend that is just dumb. Called a roundabout but it's in the shape of an 8?? No crossing in the middle just the outline. Was very annoying.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Why is it more stupid than all those stupid stoplights on Main Street?
Because it's too small a street to have one. They now made it where firetrucks and any other vehicle bigger than a cargo van can't go down main street. It's stupid.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

That one was still being built when I left Sarasota. My observations in using the many of them in Sarasota is that for the most part they work well and people know how to use them. You do however, occasionally get behind that person that doesn't understand that they can enter it at the same time as people entering from other directions, but that is no worse than getting behind someone who doesn't know how to use a four way stop.

The first diverging diamond I came across was in Springfield, MO and at that point I had never heard of them and it freaked me out, but after having used a few I agree they do make the traffic better at the intersections where they have them.
Colorado Springs has a few of those and several other unique traffic intersections.
My wife had to deal with them for the first time as we were there for a wedding. That's how we discovered the weird '8' shaped roundabout in Hays.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Because it's too small a street to have one. They now made it where firetrucks and any other vehicle bigger than a cargo van can't go down main street. It's stupid.

It appears to me the issue is they tried to put a statue in the middle instead of a simple roundabout like would function for that sized street. Cars could go around, and large trucks could go over the apron.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
ODOT loves diverging diamonds and will continue to explore them as viable options on all future projects. We're just behind the times with modern designs but the new regime is changing that. ODOT opened its first diverging diamond interchange on I-40 in Elk City last year and has another one planned for I-35 at Waterloo Road.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I guess I need to see it in use, looking at those diagrams I'm not seeing how that is an improvement over a standard intersection.
Oh definitely. The diagram doesn't hardly make any sense. There's some YouTube videos out there that show it though.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
@Boomer..... as the only traffic engineer I now know, what is your opinoin on the state law that requires emptying the closing lane early vs zippering?
I know you're not asking me, but the same people that can't roundabout can't zipper either and unfortunately those involve much faster speeds.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
@Boomer..... as the only traffic engineer I now know, what is your opinoin on the state law that requires emptying the closing lane early vs zippering?
In theory it’s great, but most drivers won’t follow it at least initially. They’ll treat it like a normal merge in a work zone with people getting over early and thinking anyone on the closed lane is “cutting in line”. They will crowd the car in front of them and be less likely to let cars over.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
In theory it’s great, but most drivers won’t follow it at least initially. They’ll treat it like a normal merge in a work zone with people getting over early and thinking anyone on the closed lane is “cutting in line”. They will crowd the car in front of them and be less likely to let cars over.
I leave space in front of me for at least one car to fit but as soon as that lane marker disappears I close that gap. If you're still trying to sneak around to merge in front of me at that point then you're just being a dick and I WILL hold my lane. Sorry, not sorry.