Roster Taking Shape

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 19, 2012
Starters:
Shai Gileous-Alexander (Best player and all-star caliber)
Lu Dort (Terrific 3 and D player)
Josh Giddey (Could average a triple double if he has the ball enough)
Chet Holmgren (your centerpiece of the future and potential all-star)
Potential Starters:
Darius Bazley (still oozes potential but needs to take that leap)
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (Has shown tons of heart and grit, earned his contract)
(I like lots of others later in the year, including the rookies)
Second Team (will be on a rotation for PT):
Jalen Williams (I wouldn't be surprised if he starts or at least ends games this year, he's looked great)
Kenrich Williams (Dort-lite is terrific and still developing with more NBA minutes)
Tre Mann (role is probably best off the bench as a 3 point sniper and scorer for 2nd team)
Theo Maledon (has shown flashes and looked great for France)
Ousmane Dieng (Tons of potential, needs minutes and experience)
Jaylin Williams (Captain Hustle)
Aleksej Pokusevski (Still one of the youngest on the team and has potential, Chet might be good for him to learn from)
Aaron Wiggins (Still developing)
Mike Muscala (Anchor and solid, there for the young guys)
JaMychal Green (Anchor and solid, will likely be traded at the right time)
Derrick Favors (Anchor and solid, will likely be traded at the right time)
Others:
Vit Krejci (Tall and has potential, minutes will be tough to come by
Lindy Waters (2 way contract, if injuries strike he'll get some time, will be tough to see the floor much otherwise, but has proven himself as a 3 point threat in the league)

Is there a deeper team in the NBA? More potential? Plus all those picks... I would highly expect to cut down on bodies throughout the year, as we'll continue to get high risk/high reward players in the draft with all our picks.

Dec 19, 2012
How may roster spots to NBA teams have?
I think it's 15 and two 2-way players. I think I've seen we have two more players to cut or trade.

Check out off-season Bazley, he's up to 220 lbs (was 208 last year), I think he starts with Shai, Giddey, Dort, and Chet: https://twitter.com/swishcultures_/status/1557906944735596544?t=g_4TpJzB8tsqLHp-kpiuHg&s=19

Dec 19, 2012
Bazley is injured right now, but even without Chet the offense has been really impressive to this point. Shai is playing as expected. Both Giddey and Jalen Williams showed up and played really great against the Celtics. Poku has been greatly improved, and it actually hurt when he left for injury before coming back. Dort is about what we expected too.

A lot of people haven't seen Dieng much since he's been playing for the Blue a lot, but he is looking really good and showing signs of dev and lottery pick worth for his age : https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/news/ousmane-dieng-continues-to-show-promise-with-okc-blue

Oct 30, 2012
Bazley is injured right now, but even without Chet the offense has been really impressive to this point. Shai is playing as expected. Both Giddey and Jalen Williams showed up and played really great against the Celtics. Poku has been greatly improved, and it actually hurt when he left for injury before coming back. Dort is about what we expected too.

A lot of people haven't seen Dieng much since he's been playing for the Blue a lot, but he is looking really good and showing signs of dev and lottery pick worth for his age : https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/news/ousmane-dieng-continues-to-show-promise-with-okc-blue
Very excited about the future with this group. Really impressed with the 2 lottery picks, I knew JDub would be good but Dieng I was a bit worried about. However he is showing he will be a good player in this league for a long time if he continues to develop, which I believe he will based off what I've seen. Once we get Chet back next year along with whoever they draft this year, I think this team begins to compete for a true playoff spot.

Dec 19, 2012
That SGA game winner was insane. He should of had two game winning step back threes this week, but we blew it with a second left for the other one.

This team is already really fun to watch and will be excellent with Chet. Plus whatever next year's pick is.
A few age facts:
  1. Dieng is only 19, he's got a ton of time
  2. Same story with Chet at only 20 years old
  3. Shai is at his prime now, so it's going to take a lot of those guys several years to grow into their potential
  4. Mid 20s to early 30s is where players thrive in the NBA
  5. The average age of the roster is only 23 (take out Muscala and Favors and it drops to 22)
  6. We have 13 players under 25 and a lot of draft picks coming
  7. 9 players are 22 or younger (so fresh out of 4 year college type age or younger)
Here's the list of youngest rosters in the NBA:
The Oklahoma City Thunder enter the 2022-23 season as the youngest team in the NBA by age, with the average player 23.14 years old.
  • Oklahoma City Thunder – 23.14.
  • Houston Rockets – 23.58.
  • San Antonio Spurs – 23.84.
  • Orlando Magic – 23.94.
  • Memphis Grizzlies – 24.27.
  • Charlotte Hornets – 24.60.
  • Portland Trail Blazers – 24.78
Again, it could be younger if we got rid of Muscala and Favors, and I don't think anyone has the number of picks we have coming in the future drafts.

Oct 30, 2012
That SGA game winner was insane. He should of had two game winning step back threes this week, but we blew it with a second left for the other one.

This team is already really fun to watch and will be excellent with Chet. Plus whatever next year's pick is.
A few age facts:
  1. Dieng is only 19, he's got a ton of time
  2. Same story with Chet at only 20 years old
  3. Shai is at his prime now, so it's going to take a lot of those guys several years to grow into their potential
  4. Mid 20s to early 30s is where players thrive in the NBA
  5. The average age of the roster is only 23 (take out Muscala and Favors and it drops to 22)
  6. We have 13 players under 25 and a lot of draft picks coming
  7. 9 players are 22 or younger (so fresh out of 4 year college type age or younger)
Here's the list of youngest rosters in the NBA:
The Oklahoma City Thunder enter the 2022-23 season as the youngest team in the NBA by age, with the average player 23.14 years old.
  • Oklahoma City Thunder – 23.14.
  • Houston Rockets – 23.58.
  • San Antonio Spurs – 23.84.
  • Orlando Magic – 23.94.
  • Memphis Grizzlies – 24.27.
  • Charlotte Hornets – 24.60.
  • Portland Trail Blazers – 24.78
Again, it could be younger if we got rid of Muscala and Favors, and I don't think anyone has the number of picks we have coming in the future drafts.
So what is your take on all the upcoming picks? If we continue to improve and compete for good playoff seedings, do we begin to trade them away? I love the idea of possibly landing Wemba in this draft but if they keep playing like this, I just don't see it happening.

Dec 19, 2012
So what is your take on all the upcoming picks? If we continue to improve and compete for good playoff seedings, do we begin to trade them away? I love the idea of possibly landing Wemba in this draft but if they keep playing like this, I just don't see it happening.
The first rounders are what matter most, and especially unprotected. I think Presti let's this year play out and see how us and the Clippers are doing. We have the right to switch with them this year and an unprotected pick from them next year. Right now (super early), we are still a lotto team and Clippers are barely in. One big injury to Kawhi or PG changes things for them quickly.

The other future first rounders are heavily protected and likely trade bait once it gets closer and we have a need (after Chet is back, we see what we get in the draft this year, and he meshes).

Trades are great, but I'd expect mainly role players that serve a need over superstars with tough contracts. At some point we start trading some bodies to get specific needs, but I think most of that is 2 years away. We will continue to develop on cheap rookie contracts through next year with Chet playing his first year.

That would be my guess, but Presti is so opportunistic and excellent at evaluating talent. If he sees something he really wants, he likes to jump all-in. I'd expect it to fall more on-line with Cher's timeline and not Shai's if given a choice.