Ron Paul on The Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart Tonight - vid inside

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
IF this guy ever got the Republican nod, he'd never win in the general election. He would go straight to his libertarian roots.

From the sound of it, he wants to deregulate alot of industries. Think the Dems will like no medicare? No medicade? No social security? No anti-trust laws. You can tell he's headed in that direction.

"I happen to think that the market can deliver any service better than the government can".

I'm a corporate kind of guy, but even I think that is dumb. In any industry where demand is damn near perfectly inelastic, heavy government regulation is required.

I like the guy. Truely, I do. But I can't help but remember something someone else said on here about him. "His version reads likes a little kids governemnt: 'When I grow up, I'm going to do this, and this, and this.'"

The real world is a very complicated place. He doesn't seem to understand that on some very core issues.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I just went back and listened again.

Just before the four minute mark, John asks him about medicare along the lines of "as a doctor, you never accepted medicare".

First, I didn't know he was a doctor. Was John just implying that doctors under his presidency wouldn't accept it?

Second...damn. That is really cold. Alot of good people have to go on medicare because they can't afford health insurance.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Ron Paul is obviously a Liberatarian.......

He tried that once and it didn't work so viola' he is now a Repubilcan despite pretty much just being around to try to make the other candidates look bad......If he is that much of an idealist and standing up for what he believes why leave the party (libby's), could it be he just wants some spot light. He voted down party lines when all the war stuff was happening now it was all dumb and America is a bunch of foreign policy idiots and Republicans are douche bags......funny it is in large part policy he voted for and they were peers when he needed to get in office.

Slugger926

Federal Marshal
Oct 19, 2004

He tried that once and it didn't work so viola' he is now a Repubilcan despite pretty much just being around to try to make the other candidates look bad......If he is that much of an idealist and standing up for what he believes why leave the party (libby's), could it be he just wants some spot light. He voted down party lines when all the war stuff was happening now it was all dumb and America is a bunch of foreign policy idiots and Republicans are douche bags......funny it is in large part policy he voted for and they were peers when he needed to get in office.
Interesting. Actions will always speak the truth. If he were to get in office, I doubt his actions would follow his words.

Jan 4, 2005
Donnyboy,
Do you actual facts to back that up? I'm not being a jerk, I'm really curious b/c I'd like to get to know more about Ron Paul. B/c I was under the impression he was the only Republican to vote against the war in Iraq, and his voting was consistant thereafter. I was also under the impression that he was a Republican first, then ran once as a Libertarian, then came back to the party, serving 10 terms as a Rep (at least that's what he just said in that video).

It's just very refreshing to see a canidate that is tired of the BS in Washington. But, is he refreshing b/c that's who he is, or is he refreshing b/c that's what he wants people to think. Too early to tell, but either way I'm thrilled to hear somebody on the stage saying the things he's saying, even if I don't agree with them all.

Jan 4, 2005
Just before the four minute mark, John asks him about medicare along the lines of "as a doctor, you never accepted medicare".

First, I didn't know he was a doctor. Was John just implying that doctors under his presidency wouldn't accept it?

Second...damn. That is really cold. Alot of good people have to go on medicare because they can't afford health insurance.
From his wikipedia...
Dr. Paul did not accept Medicare or Medicaid as a physician; instead, he would do the work for free or work out a lowered payment for needy patients.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
His voting record is public info......AUMF, Patriot Act, Approval of various funds his record is easy to find.

So he was a Rep. and changed to Libby now back to Rep......you know what substaintially changed in the platform of those parties? Nothing. You know what changed to Paul......he lost! I don't mind those that like Paul it is their business. But he isn't some all truth messiah who hasn't done his fare share of political alignment.

Jan 4, 2005
Maybe this helps explain his Republican/ Libertarian views (sorry if this is rehashed stuff, it's new to me). Apparently he's a member of the Republican Liberty Caucus. Here's their principals and purpose, which gives reason to Paul's ties :

Principles
The following is the published list of the RLC guiding principles

The Republican Liberty Caucus supports individual rights, limited government and free enterprise.

We believe every human being is endowed by nature with inherent rights to life, liberty and property that are properly secured by law. We support a strict construction of the Bill of Rights as a defense against tyranny; the expansion of those rights to all voluntary consensual conduct under the Ninth and Tenth Amendments; and the requirements of equal protection and due process under the Fourteenth Amendment.

We support the Constitutional restrictions on federal government powers enumerated in Article I, Section 8 as an absolute limit on all government functions and programs. We oppose the adoption of broad and vague powers under the guise of general welfare or interstate commerce.

We oppose all restrictions on the voluntary and honest exchange of value in a free market. We favor minimal, equitable, and fair taxation for the essential functions of government. We oppose all legislation that concedes Congressional power to any regulatory agency, executive department, or international body.

We support the Constitution as the supreme law of the land, the republican form of government it requires, and the right of all citizens to fair and equitable representation.

We believe these are also the proper positions of the Republican Party.

Purpose
The following is the purpose or goal of the RLC in every state.

After decades of New Deal and Great Society social activism ... combined with the rapid decline in civics and American history education in the United States government-run public schools ... mixed with a growing population of ill-informed and apathetic voters ... government at every level in this country continues to be too big, too intrusive and too expensive.

Founded in 1990, the Republican Liberty Caucus works to advance the principles of limited government, individual liberty and free markets within the Republican Party and throughout the United States. Republican Liberty Caucus candidates focus on a broad range of issues, including education, taxation, property rights, gun rights, free speech, federalism and the proper role of government.

In addition to giving disenfranchised smaller-government Republicans a home by creating incentive to stay in the Republican party, the Republican Liberty Caucus helps avoid a potential exodus to Libertarian, Constitutional, and other third parties, which would open the door to big-government victories from leftist candidates. The Republican Liberty Caucus is proud to promote the GOP's smaller-government message. Limited government, individual liberty and free market ideas will win by inclusion.

While rolling back decades of government "nannyism" will require a great deal of public education and grassroots lobbying, the most important means of changing public policy is to change public officials. Therefore, the Republican Liberty Caucus works to elect pro-liberty Republicans to offices at all levels, partisan and non-partisan, in both primary and general elections.

The Republican Liberty Caucus is committed not to just electing more Republicans ... but better ones, as well.

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
That would be me. I don't really fit as a Republican as I'm from the Milton Friedman school of Libertarianism. However, in a two party country, you go with the lesser of two evils and hope you can vote in changes.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net

When is the last time you saw a non-Democrat or non-Republican win the election?

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
He said in his ideal that there would be no medicare. He even said he would not make it a priority to get rid of it. The beauty of our government is that it is not a dictatorship. On the outside chance that RP was elected it is not like all of his ideals would be directly implemented. It would just shift the compromise.