Rob Walton

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
I’ve never been one to call for coaches to be fired, but this has to be it for Rob Walton. He has shown he can develop great starters, but his bullpen management has consistently been terrible. Absolutely no feel for his guys out of the pen. His group continues to hold back Cowboy baseball.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
I’ve never been one to call for coaches to be fired, but this has to be it for Rob Walton. He has shown he can develop great starters, but his bullpen management has consistently been terrible. Absolutely no feel for his guys out of the pen. His group continues to hold back Cowboy baseball.
Others claim Josh Holiday is responsible for decisions regarding pitching changes and Walton does not have approval without Holidays approval. I like it when the pitching coach goes to the mound to talk to pitcher and catcher but the HC goes out to make the actual pitching change and talk with whole group of infielders.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
Historically, Walton builds his staff over the course of the year and it usually peaks during the Big 12 tourney and the Regionals. Unfortunately, it appears with this staff, he doesn't trust their ability to throw strikes with any consistency. Look at his move in the 6th inning. He brings in an infielder to pitch, who he trusts can throw strikes . Razorbacks put the ball in play and we made two big outs. If the right fielder makes a "we're going to Omaha" play, we get the 3rd out and only give up one run. Pokes lead 10-6. Much different than 10-8. Walton's choice of "strike thrower" almost pays off.

Then in the bottom of the 7th, he goes back to his " Big 12 First Team middle reliever, who hits two batters and walks another...3 on nobody out. Is that on Walton? I say NO. Some will say, he should have gone out to talk to him after the first or second batter. We don't know the personalities of these kids and talking to this particular pitcher might not have helped...Who knows?

I think Walton is a master at working with the staff that he has. So, ultimately, if there are no "gamers" in this staff who can step up in big games that get you to Omaha, probably best to reevaluate your recruiting...that's on Holliday.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Historically, Walton builds his staff over the course of the year and it usually peaks during the Big 12 tourney and the Regionals. Unfortunately, it appears with this staff, he doesn't trust their ability to throw strikes with any consistency. Look at his move in the 6th inning. He brings in an infielder to pitch, who he trusts can throw strikes . Razorbacks put the ball in play and we made two big outs. If the right fielder makes a "we're going to Omaha" play, we get the 3rd out and only give up one run. Pokes lead 10-6. Much different than 10-8. Walton's choice of "strike thrower" almost pays off.

Then in the bottom of the 7th, he goes back to his " Big 12 First Team middle reliever, who hits two batters and walks another...3 on nobody out. Is that on Walton? I say NO. Some will say, he should have gone out to talk to him after the first or second batter. We don't know the personalities of these kids and talking to this particular pitcher might not have helped...Who knows?

I think Walton is a master at working with the staff that he has. So, ultimately, if there are no "gamers" in this staff who can step up in big games that get you to Omaha, probably best to reevaluate your recruiting...that's on Holliday.
In retrospect, there were no good options last night. Rob did not have a good decision to make, but that is also on him. This staff started strong, but has been a disaster down the stretch. That's his responsibility. Almost every pitcher has gotten worse except for Bogusz and Mederos.

I don't care about firing or not firing, I just want a coaching staff to get it right. I made this comparison way early in the season--Gundy's program had lost momentum and gotten stale, and he reinvented himself and made a lot of adjustments (more defensive recruits, more involved and available to athletes, etc) and it paid off.

Is Josh/Rob willing to do that? They seem stuck in their ways and unwilling to adjust, but I don't see what goes on behind the scenes. This season isn't over, but it seems doomed. Would be a second straight major disappointment.

May 1, 2021
Stillwater
It’s not rob, trust me on this, it’s not him. He has challenges, sure, but it’s not him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
In retrospect, there were no good options last night. Rob did not have a good decision to make, but that is also on him. This staff started strong, but has been a disaster down the stretch. That's his responsibility. Almost every pitcher has gotten worse except for Bogusz and Mederos.

I don't care about firing or not firing, I just want a coaching staff to get it right. I made this comparison way early in the season--Gundy's program had lost momentum and gotten stale, and he reinvented himself and made a lot of adjustments (more defensive recruits, more involved and available to athletes, etc) and it paid off.

Is Josh/Rob willing to do that? They seem stuck in their ways and unwilling to adjust, but I don't see what goes on behind the scenes. This season isn't over, but it seems doomed. Would be a second straight major disappointment.
Great points. Great question. You would think with a beautiful top 5 facility nationally that Holliday would be open to making the necessary changes or adjustments to put a team on the field that reflects the investment in the program...meaning going to Omaha on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022
Moore
I think after last year's short coming, and this year, maybe we need to take a long,had look at all. Josh,Rob, Recruiting cord..., just too many unanswered questions, falling short again, etc. Has Josh peaked out?

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Great points. Great question. You would think with a beautiful top 5 facility nationally that Holliday would be open to making the necessary changes or adjustments to put a team on the field that reflects the investment in the program...meaning going to Omaha on a regular basis.
It’s not top 5. It’s top 1

Oct 6, 2012
It’s not rob, trust me on this, it’s not him. He has challenges, sure, but it’s not him

I can only assume you know more than I do because I know nothing, but I had heard (numerous times ?) that Rob had total control of the pitching staff. It was my understanding that Rob took care of everything pitching related and Josh took care of everything else. I guess you are saying that is not correct?

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
I can only assume you know more than I do because I know nothing, but I had heard (numerous times ?) that Rob had total control of the pitching staff. It was my understanding that Rob took care of everything pitching related and Josh took care of everything else. I guess you are saying that is not correct?
truer words have never been spoken......... thanks for being honest

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
People are critical of Walton lately, but don't forget the absolute nails performances by Mitchell Stone and Trevor Martin yesterday, and the B12 Bogusz start too. Walton's guys that came through mentally and physically in must-have situations. Give credit where it's due.

May 1, 2021
Stillwater

Yep

tony6777

Anthony
A/V Subscriber
Aug 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Let's all not forget how hard these coaches worked to help drum up the support to get our shiny new stadium. They deserve to play in it a while and be given the TIME to build up the program from what feels like nothing coming from the diminutive Allie P bleachers we were limping along with before. You can be mad about some recent decisions in coaching, but these many things don't just change overnight! It didn't happen overnight in football. Gundy had a lot of grace given to him and while under a lot of fire from not only the fans but Boone Pickens & others.

I think our fan base has some self reflection to do as well. Our fans need to be better fans and show up to the games, not just come out of the woodwork when we land in a regionals. I've been feeling totally outperformed by the Arky fans when it comes to having organized chants & traditions in baseball (ie I think the beer hats are cool, wished we had that). With that said, I think this Sunday crowd might have been fewer due to Monday being a workday but they were much better than the Saturday crowd at getting the O S U chants going and doing the ORANGE POWER. I was feeling like... Finally we were offsetting the Lil piggie fans.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It’s not top 5. It’s top 1
I can't find a ranking that puts us up there, but I'm having trouble finding any recent rankings. Duke, I sincerely hope you are correct, but can you find a ranking that shows us up that high? I hate to say this but the stadium in Fayetteville isn't half bad either...it's very nice and they have hill seating for overflow.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2009
People are critical of Walton lately, but don't forget the absolute nails performances by Mitchell Stone and Trevor Martin yesterday, and the B12 Bogusz start too. Walton's guys that came through mentally and physically in must-have situations. Give credit where it's due.
Trevor Martin saved our season. It can’t be said enough how huge that performance was yesterday

Aug 7, 2006
I can't find a ranking that puts us up there, but I'm having trouble finding any recent rankings. Duke, I sincerely hope you are correct, but can you find a ranking that shows us up that high? I hate to say this but the stadium in Fayetteville isn't half bad either...it's very nice and they have hill seating for overflow.
What fans see in the stadium here is very nice, what they don't see is even better. Player facilities are top notch...