Ring of Honor

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
The irony that Eddie is your profile pic.

@andylicious you’re effectively doing to Blackmon what the Basketball Hall of Fame did to Eddie.
Not so much. I simply don't agree with you and stated why. If he goes in Dykes should as well. Blackmon is the third best receiver to play in the orange. My personal wr ranking is Dykes #1, Bryant #2, and Blackmon 3rd with Woods breathing down his neck. The ironic thing is that the best current representation of our culture is Woods.

Last edited:

oldwx

Greenhorn
Jun 14, 2020
Norman, OK
Add Derrel Gofourth to my list of nominees posted earlier. Played every OL position, winning consensus AA honors at center in 1976. Terry Miller could probably vouch for his importance to our only Big 8 championship (shared).

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Not so much. I simply don't agree with you and stated why. If he goes in Dykes should as well. Blackmon is the third best receiver to play in the orange. My personal wr ranking is Dykes #1, Bryant #2, and Blackmon 3rd with Woods breathing down his neck. The ironic thing is that the best current representation of our culture is Woods.
You said this:
He smoked his career away, that's a personal choice that doesn't need to be immortalized
So, he shouldn’t get in because of substance abuse (after his collegiate career). That was your point and what I was responding to. Once again, if those with substance abuse issues shouldn’t be immortalized then Eddie shouldn’t be in the HOF, nor should his name be on our court.

I also think he should be in over Dykes because the recruiting scandal with Hart Lee nearly destroyed our football program.

Dez was amazing, but his career was too short and he never won the Biletnikoff. Blackmon had two seasons better than Dez’ best season.

Dez
676FF6A0-46D0-422B-991F-506B92BA197E.jpeg

Blackmon
E0C497B3-2EB3-40BA-A02E-365F3D507407.jpeg

Jun 14, 2011
Ah, yes. The ever popular eye test. Widely agreed by everyone to be the perfect way to choose the best of the best....

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
You said this:

So, he shouldn’t get in because of substance abuse (after his collegiate career). That was your point and what I was responding to. Once again, if those with substance abuse issues shouldn’t be immortalized then Eddie shouldn’t be in the HOF, nor should his name be on our court.

I also think he should be in over Dykes because the recruiting scandal with Hart Lee nearly destroyed our football program.

Dez was amazing, but his career was too short and he never won the Biletnikoff. Blackmon had two seasons better than Dez’ best season.

Dez
View attachment 93103
Blackmon
View attachment 93104
Monkey, you can stop now if you want. I think everybody here knows you are correct and he's wrong. One of only two two-time winners of the Biletnikoff. Two time AA and two time Offensive Big XII POY. The most important player on our greatest team ever. Yeah, you can stop.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Someone I want in that probably won't get in is Vernon Grant. That dude bled OSU and was the heart of those early 2000's teams. You could feel how much that dude loved playing football and loved playing for OSU. Though I may be a little biased since we were at OSU at the same time.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I agree that some real ground needs to be made in fixing this relationship. Criticize me all you want but he's one of the best WR in the league right now and having him here for an induction on a big recruiting weekend could be nice.
We kicked him off the team...IMHO that's a disqualifier...Period.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Wondering - does the list have to just be players and head coaches? What about anyone else with long, significant contribution? Perhaps Rob Glass, Byron Bird, etc.? The Phoenix Suns have their long-time head athletic trainer in their Ring of Honor.
Sometimes commentators also get in, guys like Bill Teigen's who died in the crash or Dave Hunsicker in the future. I think Harry Carey is in it in Chi-town?

Dec 9, 2013
One name not mentioned who deserves consideration as a player and a coach is Mike Gundy. Aside from Boone (and I think that could even be debated) no one has done more for where we are today than Gundy.

I know he’s still coach but wasn’t Eddie when the court was named for him? Outside of naming it Gundy Field at BPS we need to honor him. Maybe we wait until he’s no longer here and he would probably want it that way. But I would have zero problem w his name maybe not next year (my vote would be Fennimore and Armstrong) being added while he’s still coach.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
You said this:

Dez
View attachment 93103
Blackmon
View attachment 93104
Whatever, you do you

Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
One name not mentioned who deserves consideration as a player and a coach is Mike Gundy. Aside from Boone (and I think that could even be debated) no one has done more for where we are today than Gundy.

I know he’s still coach but wasn’t Eddie when the court was named for him? Outside of naming it Gundy Field at BPS we need to honor him. Maybe we wait until he’s no longer here and he would probably want it that way. But I would have zero problem w his name maybe not next year (my vote would be Fennimore and Armstrong) being added while he’s still coach.
We should do it after his first national championship