Ring of Honor

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 2, 2008
SC
Gundy is pushing hard for this to be an annual thing. So who would be your next suggestion to induct? And should the university think about possibly doing 2 at a time since they have a lot of catch up to do now? Maybe do one from the distant past and someone more current?

I’d suggest John Kolb and R.W. McQuarters

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Gundy is pushing hard for this to be an annual thing. So who would be your next suggestion to induct? And should the university think about possibly doing 2 at a time since they have a lot of catch up to do now? Maybe do one from the distant past and someone more current?

I’d suggest John Kolb and R.W. McQuarters
Bob Fienmore, the blond bomber.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Leslie O'Neal and Terry Miller would probably come next for me. It depends on how exclusive we are going to make this club. Right now, it would be classified as "Exclusive as hell". Other than Gundy, Weeden, and Woods, I'm not sure anyone else on Mustang's list move the needle for me. I was in school for Hilger and Anderson and I just feel like they come up short for me. Rusty for sure. We've probably had 8 QBs better than him just in the last 20 years. Anderson did lead the country in rushing, but...... I don't know. Just kind of feel like this should be extremely exclusive for now. Without getting in the Wayback machine, my list would probably be limited to (in order):

1 O'Neal
2 Terry Miller
3 Woods
4 Justin Blackmon
5 Brandon Weeden
6. James Washington
7 Gundy once he retires

I'm sure there are some guys like Fienmore, but I hope they would combine his with someone that played in the past 75 years. Otherwise, zzzzzzzzz.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think Bob Fenimore needs to be next if we only do one a year...How many of you realize he was third in the Heisman, led the nation in rushing, was the highest ranking member of the 1945 "National Championship Team," and was the number one draft choice in 1946? I think Guy deserves a statue along with Barry on one of the corners. Maybe he doesn't move the needle now as someone said due to the times we live in, but if we want our stadium to at least have a little historic appeal I think we should include him as well. Also I do think we need to honor someone living at the same time...Starting with the multi year All Americans like O'Neil and Miller and Moore. I think those four need to go in that order just after the ones we already deservedly honored. More recent guys shouldn't go on the ring IMHO for about 15 to 20 years after they are done with College football....maybe that's a little long, but I think it's more meaningful the way we just did it...rather than honoring young men still in their prime. Oh, and I think Gundy needs to go in as a coach/player right after he retires...not before.

So...I'd recommend Fenimore (with statue) and ring and O'Neil in the ring at least...maybe a statue as well for the first defensive guy to have one and to be so successful at this level and the next. Btw, also a great guy.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Blackmon would be #1 obvious
I think we need to wait on the younger guys...at least until they are 40 or so...just an opinion. I know others don't but I like to think we are different in a good way and that when we honor someone it's not JUST for their on the field exploits but also for their contributions off of it. That being said, let's see how JB comes out of his current season first. Please don't flay me...just an opinion.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I think we need to wait on the younger guys...at least until they are 40 or so...just an opinion. I know others don't but I like to think we are different in a good way and that when we honor someone it's not JUST for their on the field exploits but also for their contributions off of it. That being said, let's see how JB comes out of his current season first. Please don't flay me...just an opinion.
He’s the best college receiver ever. I would make an exception. Only for him though

Jul 26, 2005
Broken Arrow, OK
Top 10 NFL players from OSU per nfl.com:
10. Dale Meinert LB/G - 10 seasons with Chicago/St Louis, 3-time Pro Bowl selection
9. Walt Garrison RB - 9 seasins with Dallas, 1-time Pro Bowl selection, played in 2 Super Bowls (won 1)
8. Dexter Manley DE - Washington, 1-time Pro Bowl selection, played in 3 Super Bowls (won 2)
7. Jason Gildon LB - 11 seasons with Pittsburg/Jacksonville, 3-time Pro Bowl selection, played in 1 Super Bowl
6. Jamal Williams DT - 13 seasons with San Diego/Denver, 3-time Pro Bowl selection
5. Jon Kolb OT/C - 13 seasons with Pittsburg, played in 4 Super Bowls (won 4)
4. Kevin Williams DT/DE - 10 seasons with Minnesota, 6-time Pro Bowl selection
3. Leslie O'Neal DE/LB - 13 seasons with San Diego/St Louis/Kansas City, 6-time Pro Bowl selection, played 1 Super Bowl
2. Thurman Thomas RB - 13 seasons with Buffalo/Miami, 5-time Pro Bowl selection, played in 4 Super Bowls, 1991 NFL MVP, Pro Football Hall of Fame
1. Barry Sanders RB - 10 seasons Detroit, 10-time Pro Bowl selection, Pro Football Hall of Fame

Oklahoma State has six representatives in the College Football Hall of Fame – coach Lynn "Pappy" Waldorf (inducted in 1966), Bob Fenimore (inducted in 1972), Barry Sanders (inducted in 2003), Thurman Thomas (inducted in 2008), coach Jimmy Johnson (inducted in 2012) and Leslie O'Neal (2020).

oldwx

Greenhorn
Jun 14, 2020
Norman, OK
Good suggestion, all. My nominees in chronological order, players only, based largely on impact on the progam:
Bob Fenimore
Neill Armstrong
Jon Kolb
Terry Miller
Leslie O'Neill
JW McQuarters
Kevin Williams (the DT)
Rashaun Woods
Justin Blackman/Brandon Weeden (jointly)
Russell Okung