RB Deondrick Glass enters transfer portal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I've always followed rivals, not sure why, I guess I started with them. This is their list of OSU 4*s

Rivals 4* Running backs since 2002

Dantrell Savage - Absolute Savage
Kye Staley - Injury. Huge testament that he came back to the field
Beau Johnson - I thought he did okay, just buried behind 2 studs (Toston & Hunter)
Jeremy Smith - He did well for us, I thought he was solid back.
Dexter Pratt - cant even remember what happened there
Joe Randle - beast for us.. too bad he had all his issues
Hershel Sims- sad.
Chubba Hubbard - generational osu guy. hoping he gets his groove back this week.
D. Glass - meh

You're right though we do have a knack for finding undervalued guys and making them world beaters.
We need to recruit based on characters.

Aug 16, 2012
We need to recruit based on characters.
I could be wrong, but it feels like too many of our high recruits do not want to put in the time and after a rude awakening once they get here, would rather go where they think they can be the big fish right away. Not all, but for some of the bigger names it just feels that way sometimes.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Arlington Hambright played well at Colorado and got drafted by the Bears. Darrion Daniels played well at Nebraska and signed with the 49ers. JD King has played well at Georgia Southern. He has more rushing yards this year than Chuba Hubbard. (He's played 1 more game though.)

A few of our transfers have played well and had success. Most have faded into anonymity.
Yeah, but do we care?

As far as Glass, we never saw him much. Gundy never talked about his work ethic or leadership like he has a Pressly (sic?) or any other the other freshmen or sophomores that are doing the work.

So, he sounds like another 4 star bust for us. He'll end up at Lamar or Houston and perhaps not have the expectations that Gundy does for his players. Good luck, kid. We hardly knew you.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I could be wrong, but it feels like too many of our high recruits do not want to put in the time and after a rude awakening once they get here, would rather go where they think they can be the big fish right away. Not all, but for some of the bigger names it just feels that way sometimes.
I think they stand out to us & we remember them because they're somewhat rare for OSU & we're following them. I don't have any specific stats or anything, but I don't think OSU has any more trouble with this than anyone else. It feels more impactful because when a Herschel Sims flames out at OSU, it's just not the same as a David Cornwell (5 star QB from Norman North) leaving Alabama, because they've got 8 more in his class.

Jun 14, 2011
I think they stand out to us & we remember them because they're somewhat rare for OSU & we're following them. I don't have any specific stats or anything, but I don't think OSU has any more trouble with this than anyone else. It feels more impactful because when a Herschel Sims flames out at OSU, it's just not the same as a David Cornwell (5 star QB from Norman North) leaving Alabama, because they've got 8 more in his class.
To go a bit deeper on this, specifically with RB's, it seems like a much higher percentage of the highest ranked guys we bring in at this position have some kind of issue where they don't work out for us. In my opionin, it hurts us more (than Alabama) losing a 4 star or two b/c they are so rare for us where Bama gets far more 5 star guys than we even wish for on 4 stars.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Just spit balling here, but maybe they think that they are one of the few 4* on a roster of 3* so they will be starters w/o effort ?

Where as if they were on a roster of 4*s they would work hard from the start trying to earn a spot ?

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah, but do we care?

As far as Glass, we never saw him much. Gundy never talked about his work ethic or leadership like he has a Pressly (sic?) or any other the other freshmen or sophomores that are doing the work.

So, he sounds like another 4 star bust for us. He'll end up at Lamar or Houston and perhaps not have the expectations that Gundy does for his players. Good luck, kid. We hardly knew you.
I cared quite a bit when we lost Darrion Daniels, because he was our best interior defensive lineman. But I don't care that much whenever a 3rd stringer transfers down to find playing time. That's inevitable and probably healthy for the program.

Deondrick Glass reminds me a lot of Herschel Sims. He has a lot of talent, but his work ethic isn't where it needs to be. I hope that he figures things out wherever he lands.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Playing Devils Advocate... I think at some point it is a numbers game. Some of our best players have been 4 star guys that lived up to the hype. When you only get a few a year, if that, you need to hit on nearly all of them to make it seem that there is not an issue. How many 4 star guys go into a program like Alabama or Oklahoma, - never to be heard from again. If they don't live up to their potential, they are burred in the depth chart, or transfer out. Since our sample size is so small, we notice and feel every one.

But largely, I think the star rating is a good indicator of talent at the macro level, but is heavily flawed on the individual level - which is just the nature of the beast.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Playing Devils Advocate... I think at some point it is a numbers game. Some of our best players have been 4 star guys that lived up to the hype. When you only get a few a year, if that, you need to hit on nearly all of them to make it seem that there is not an issue. How many 4 star guys go into a program like Alabama or Oklahoma, - never to be heard from again. If they don't live up to their potential, they are burred in the depth chart, or transfer out. Since our sample size is so small, we notice and feel every one.

But largely, I think the star rating is a good indicator of talent at the macro level, but is heavily flawed on the individual level - which is just the nature of the beast.
I agree, & that was PJ's point too.

Jan 14, 2006

Yeah. It seems like our 4 stars either boom or bust. They rarely end up average. Its obvious we expect our players to put in the work and buy into the culture of they want to see the field, regardless of hype.