Ranking the Big-12 by "Best" win...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Below is how the Big-12 would be ranked by each teams "best" win of the season. Rankings are based on Massey Ratings. This ranking would thus represent what each team is capable of on their "best" day as demonstrated by game results to this point of the season. Ties are broken by point differential.

Pos.Team # Best Win
1 Tx Tech vs… #14 Texas
2 Oklahoma St vs… #18 Baylor
3 TCU vs … #21 Oklahoma
4 Kansas St vs.. #21 Oklahoma
5 Baylor vs…. #23 Iowa St
6 Kansas vs … #23 Iowa St
7 Iowa St vs … #33 Iowa
8 Texas vs … #53 West Virginia
9 Oklahoma vs .. #66 Nebraska
10 West Virginia vs .. #90 Virginia Tech

Hope our Cowboys are not overlooking Texas Tech this weekend...

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Below is how the Big-12 would be ranked by each teams "best" win of the season. Rankings are based on Massey Ratings. This ranking would thus represent what each team is capable of on their "best" day as demonstrated by game results to this point of the season. Ties are broken by point differential.

Pos.Team # Best Win
1 Tx Tech vs… #14 Texas
3 TCU vs … #21 Oklahoma
7 Iowa St vs … #33 Iowa

Weird (dumb) way to rank teams. Of the "top" 6 we're the only one whose best win is not a result of the opponent being ridiculously overrated in preseason polls.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

Pos.Team # Best Win
1 Tx Tech vs… #14 Texas
3 TCU vs … #21 Oklahoma
7 Iowa St vs … #33 Iowa

No, that ranking doesn’t show how good we or any other team can be because it’s limited to the opponent. We can be better than what is shown.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Texas was ranked #14, but that was with their starting QB. Texas Tech faced a backup QB, so that taints the win a little. Still a good win.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas

Pos.Team # Best Win
1 Tx Tech vs… #14 Texas
3 TCU vs … #21 Oklahoma
7 Iowa St vs … #33 Iowa

Ahhh the old "Texas is Back" thing....They'll end the year unranked

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Weird (dumb) way to rank teams. Of the "top" 6 we're the only one whose best win is not a result of the opponent being ridiculously overrated in preseason polls.

Those rankings are their ranking of of today. It doesn't have anything to do with their preseason polls. Not sure what you are trying to say here...

Mar 7, 2020
Oklahoma City
My Power Rankings:

1. Oklahoma State: Beat the defending Big 12 champs on the road. Number 5 in scoring Offense. DL and ST have been impressive so far.

2. TCU: The frogs smashed Oklahoma and the Offense has been very explosive so far. We will know a lot more about them after this 3 game stretch against KU, OSU, and KSU…but so far have been impressive.

3. Kansas: Do I think they are the 3rd best team in the league? No…but they’re 5-0 with wins over WV, Houston, Duke, and Iowa State. Daniels has been phenomenal and KU has been an awesome story so far..but the meat of the schedule is coming up.

4. Baylor: A disappointing 3-2 start with close losses to BYU and OSU. Solid on both sides of the ball and Better than majority of the league on the LOS. I won’t be surprised if they rally and end up in Dallas.

5. Kansas State: Wildcats are 3-0 against P5 teams..but lost to Tulane at home. K-State can make a run if Martinez keeps playing mistake free ball.

6. Texas Tech: The Red raiders seem to have a little more momentum this season with wins over Texas and Houston…they also played NCST and KSU tough. They look like they will be a tough out for some.

7. Texas: Weird start for UT. Played Alabama really close..but looked average against UTSA and Tech. Ewers could transform this team. Athletes all over the field and have the ability to make a run. Until they do though…they remain a question mark.

8. Oklahoma: Things aren’t going too great in Norman. Starting 0-2 in league play. While they have started 0-2 before and still won the Big 12…Their QB situation and Defensive problems going into Dallas this weekend could have them at 0-3 if they don’t figure it out.

9. Iowa State: Finally got the Hawkeyes in non con…but then started 0-2 in conference with KSU and Texas on deck. Seems this young cyclone team will try to play spoiler.

10. West Virginia: Strange season for WVU so far…nearly beat Pitt and rolled VT on the road…but lost to KU and blown out by Texas. Not an absolute pushover and capable of pushing teams. Proving how deep the conference is this season.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Texas was ranked #14, but that was with their starting QB. Texas Tech faced a backup QB, so that taints the win a little. Still a good win.
To be fair, That back up quarterback held his own against Alabama. QE only played the first quarter.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Honestly, I'm not counting Texas out yet. I could see them making the CCG against OSU....

* They are catching OU at the "right time" for a win
* Remaining home games are Baylor/TCU/Iowa St
* Remaining road games are OSU/KSU/KU

If they can get Ewers back in the line-up, that's a schedule they can manage quite well.... It could easily come down to the Texas vs Baylor result (in Austin) on Nov 25th for a CCG spot...

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not counting Texas out yet. I could see them making the CCG against OSU....

If they can get Ewers back in the line-up, that's a schedule they can manage quite well.... It could easily come down to the Texas vs Baylor result (in Austin) on Nov 25th for a CCG spot...
Ewers will start against OU. There is basically no injury risk. OU hasn’t touched a QB in the last 2 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dec 3, 2012

Texas is fully capable of beating every team on their schedule. I just have no confidence that they will actually do it. I predict multiple games where the come in unfocused and unprepared, and I think any team in the conference can beat them when that happens.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa

My way too early CCG prediction.

Lock:
OSU

Most likely:
KSU
TCU

Possible but have some work to do:
Baylor
Texas

Longshots:
OU
KU
TTU

No Shots:
ISU
WVU

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I'm just saying....

* I think the CCG will be 2 of OSU/Baylor/Texas.
* I think KSU/TCU/KU/OU will end up out of the mix.

I think Texas with Ewers is a contender. I think I saw us beat a very good Baylor team. But Texas gets Baylor at home and by late November the Hornz may be able to win that game.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
I'm just saying....

I think Texas with Ewers is a contender. I think I saw us beat a very good Baylor team. But Texas gets Baylor at home and by late November the Hornz may be able to win that game.
Mostly agree. I wouldn't count out TCU, however I haven't seen them play so my opinion could be way off on them.

Aug 14, 2005
I'm just saying....

We may know more about TCU after tomorrow afternoon. Or maybe not, because KU is an unmarked yardstick.
We may know more about Texas Tech too, and hopefully it’s all bad.