Random Thoughts... and a Rant or Two... and Probably a Dead Horse Beating As Well

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 15, 2017
Enid
From what I watched of the RRS -

Texas plays a 3-4 hybrid defense and they run a lot of cover 3, cover 1 when the offense gets into the red zone. They run 2 high safety’s and then try to disguise which corner will drop back and which corner will play the flat. Our running backs need to stay upright and be physical because their defense was awful at tackling the OU Rb’s. I did not notice any major adjustments when Caleb Williams came in considering he is more of a running threat (like SS) compared to Spencer Rattler who mostly scrambles to throw but that may have been because they did not game plan on CW coming in, which also maybe why they got torched in the second half. It goes without saying that SS needs to take care of the ball. Texas likes to substitute on 3rd down especially 3rd and short so expect our offense to run quick tempo there and not let them substitute. #0 (Overshown) is their star, we need to have him accounted for on every run play and certainly every pass play. I’m sure they are going to throw him at our LT all day so he will need help from a Cowboy Back or RB.

On offense they like to run Bijan to the short side (boundary) of the field and then have their receivers run routes on the open (field) side. Our defense needs to be sound in their gaps because he likes to cut back towards the open side of the field. Hit him early before he can pickup speed and wrap up. Their possession WR got hurt and should be out for the game (Whittington) but both Worthy and Moore are deep threats. They use their 6’7” TE (Wiley) in the red zone. Casey Thompson has a big arm but not super accurate so don’t expect those deep balls that Baylor underthrew and our DBs were able to recover to happen, instead he will overthrow or they’ll catch in stride for big gains. CT is also not much of a runner, he scrambles to throw. OU did not have much of a pass rush but when they did start hitting him, he got beat up a bit and their offense stalled.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
From what I watched of the RRS -

Texas plays a 3-4 hybrid defense and they run a lot of cover 3, cover 1 when the offense gets into the red zone. They run 2 high safety’s and then try to disguise which corner will drop back and which corner will play the flat. Our running backs need to stay upright and be physical because their defense was awful at tackling the OU Rb’s. I did not notice any major adjustments when Caleb Williams came in considering he is more of a running threat (like SS) compared to Spencer Rattler who mostly scrambles to throw but that may have been because they did not game plan on CW coming in, which also maybe why they got torched in the second half. It goes without saying that SS needs to take care of the ball. Texas likes to substitute on 3rd down especially 3rd and short so expect our offense to run quick tempo there and not let them substitute. #0 (Overshown) is their star, we need to have him accounted for on every run play and certainly every pass play. I’m sure they are going to throw him at our LT all day so he will need help from a Cowboy Back or RB.

On offense they like to run Bijan to the short side (boundary) of the field and then have their receivers run routes on the open (field) side. Our defense needs to be sound in their gaps because he likes to cut back towards the open side of the field. Hit him early before he can pickup speed and wrap up. Their possession WR got hurt and should be out for the game (Whittington) but both Worthy and Moore are deep threats. They use their 6’7” TE (Wiley) in the red zone. Casey Thompson has a big arm but not super accurate so don’t expect those deep balls that Baylor underthrew and our DBs were able to recover to happen, instead he will overthrow or they’ll catch in stride for big gains. CT is also not much of a runner, he scrambles to throw. OU did not have much of a pass rush but when they did start hitting him, he got beat up a bit and their offense stalled.
Also Thompson looked like he was having issues with his hand at the end of the game still. Wrapping it helped for a little bit but I bet he is gonna be worried about it next week if he starts getting hit.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
And as we lament if Gundy has balls or not and focused on that last drive going for it on 4th down, don't forget that in the opening drive we went for it on 4th down deep in Bear country on the way to a TD. Powerful opening statement.

So kind of bookends in that game.
Well put.

I read through this thread and the first post in particular... I was highly surprised that anyone still feels this way based on the current trend in conference play. Against all the odds, this team is undefeated and getting a lot better each week. Gundy is coaching his tail off right now. When Gundy is backed up against a wall, he tends to do incredible work. When he's too comfortable, he doesn't. I would never bet against Gundy backed up against a wall.

These 2021 Pokes are looking more like the team I expected to see based on all the intel. The only reason I'm not confident we beat Texas is the devastating collapse in their most recent quarter of football. Sark, an equally (if not even more) excellent coach, is also backed up against a wall right now. Texas has had nothing but brilliant game planners since Mack, hence all the epic games with them lately. The only thing I know is that we are in for an incredible game this Saturday. I'm so excited it's been entering my dreams this week. This will be strength on strength, two desperate teams, and likely our last hoorah in Austin for a while.

We may have a few lingering issues, but Gundy has his balls back. I'm not worried about getting the best effort out of either team.