Random Thoughts... and a Rant or Two... and Probably a Dead Horse Beating As Well

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I think we are all well aware of our offensive issues, a mixture of bad play calling, bad execution, injuries, young players, dumb penalties, etc. However, we have made improvements as the season has progressed and players have come back from injuries. Our offense, so far, has not seen a defense in any game that is good as the defense they practice against. I wonder what offensive issues these guys uncover during practice. Surely the coaches can design a good game plan against Texas because of our own defense. I feel like we should be able to determine which plays our offense can successfully run against a stout defense.

We need to run quite a few high percentage pass plays in our next game. We see what Sanders can do when he can set his feet and what happens when he doesn't.

I don't think we run enough screen passes, play actions, or RPOs. Now I fully admit I only know what I see in the games and don't know anything that the coaches know from practice or other non-game activities. Still though, I know enough that you have to call plays other than runs up the middle when there are 8 to 9 guys in the box and the defense is aggressively defending the run. Yes I know the three guys in the middle are beasts, but 3 guys cannot possibly block 8.

Against Baylor we saw a DB lineup outside the tackle as an edge rusher, well before the snap, and we never adjusted. One time it resulted in a fumble, another a wounded duck pass that could/should have been picked off, and both times our QB got hammered. He should have seen that and adjusted. You can bet Texas will do the same in two weeks and we better be prepared. We need one set of additional QB protection for the first half, and another for the second half, after they make half time adjustments.

I'm very happy we are 5-0, but somewhat surprised at the same time. We've come out on the good end of what could have been bad outcomes. Our defense is playing awesome. The Baylor game should have been out of reach by halftime. Whenever we get a lead it sure seems like our play calling takes a turn for the worse. I was happy to see that Gundy went for it on 4th down against Baylor, and so happy we scored a TD.

I am hoping for two weeks of great practice, no one gets injured, previously injured players are back and we are able to correct some issues.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Well said. On the topic of scheming up Texas, I thought the option plays in the 2nd half were great and will give us another dimension for teams to have to defend. A lot of these kids in HS today have seen plenty of spread offenses but might have never actually defended the option.

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
Gundy did say in his press conference after the game that they limited throws in the second half due to Sanders inaccuracies and interceptions.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
That end rushing DB that hammered Sanders in the back during his throw could have been easily picked up by our RB. He ran right by Dominic Richardson within a foot of him and Dominic actually moved to avoid him rather than try to block him. He kind of avoided him and floated out to the left like he was hoping for a pass from Sanders but Sanders was facing the other way totally unaware of what Richardson was doing. The result was Sanders getting blown up from behind during his passing motion without even knowing the guy was coming. He had a wide open receiver and had Dominic even slowed the guy by a second that pass would have been thrown undeterred. This issue is not always on the QB….

Nov 6, 2010
That end rushing DB that hammered Sanders in the back during his throw could have been easily picked up by our RB. He ran right by Dominic Richardson within a foot of him and Dominic actually moved to avoid him rather than try to block him. He kind of avoided him and floated out to the left like he was hoping for a pass from Sanders but Sanders was facing the other way totally unaware of what Richardson was doing. The result was Sanders getting blown up from behind during his passing motion without even knowing the guy was coming. He had a wide open receiver and had Dominic even slowed the guy by a second that pass would have been thrown undeterred. This issue is not always on the QB….
When stuff like that happens, you wonder if they just missed the play call. Like on that flea flicker. How does an Olineman get downfield if they know the call is a flea flicker? I was wondering when we were gonna break out that play. The way we are so run heavy, that play ought to be good for a big gain once a game.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
When stuff like that happens, you wonder if they just missed the play call. Like on that flea flicker. How does an Olineman get downfield if they know the call is a flea flicker? I was wondering when we were gonna break out that play. The way we are so run heavy, that play ought to be good for a big gain once a game.
IIRC that OL was engaged in a block, driving the defender about 10 yds down the field. Probably thought he had made a great play until he saw the flag.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
RG0-3 wrong again- the defender turned to go down field and our OLman followed him. Was not engaged.

only possible explanation is he thought the pass a
had been thrown and caught and was headed to celebrate

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Yes there was one play where the RB cut inside the tackle instead of pickup up the edge rusher. I don't remember which play was which, but there was also one where the play was going to the right, everyone was focused to the right, and the DB came in unimpeded from the left.

osu_cowboy_007

Territorial Marshal
Sep 21, 2008
Dallas
SS has an awful vision, he doesn't see the field well both passing and running. There were many occasions he had a ton of room to run and he ran/cut to the wrong direction on majority of those. And also, instead of lowering the shoulder to get first downs he dances around and loses yards for the most part.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
SS has an awful vision, he doesn't see the field well both passing and running. There were many occasions he had a ton of room to run and he ran/cut to the wrong direction on majority of those. And also, instead of lowering the shoulder to get first downs he dances around and loses yards for the most part.
He sure as heck lowered his shoulder on his last run, a pretty ballsy and spectacular run at that!

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
And as we lament if Gundy has balls or not and focused on that last drive going for it on 4th down, don't forget that in the opening drive we went for it on 4th down deep in Bear country on the way to a TD. Powerful opening statement.

So kind of bookends in that game.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
IIRC that OL was engaged in a block, driving the defender about 10 yds down the field. Probably thought he had made a great play until he saw the flag.
If was engaged the whole time they wouldn't have thrown the flag. From what I remember he was engaged, the dude turned to run away from him and he followed him downfield. Thus, the flag was thrown. As an O Lineman you have to know that its a slow developing pass play and you can't chase a guy downfield or they will throw the flag.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
If was engaged the whole time they wouldn't have thrown the flag. From what I remember he was engaged, the dude turned to run away from him and he followed him downfield. Thus, the flag was thrown. As an O Lineman you have to know that its a slow developing pass play and you can't chase a guy downfield or they will throw the flag.
The rule is 3 yards and he was about 10 yds past the line. I thought by saying he probably thought he made a great play until seeing the flag implied that he was blocking the wrong play.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
I agree. I can understand regarding his passing based up SS's limitations. It's pretty obvious that the play calling limits his options to ONE because he has a very difficult time with check downs and then delivering an accurate pass. However, in regards to his running, I don't get it. Many times, like you said, he takes off on a run with PLENTY of space and it seems that he either is too slow/indecisive and tacklers quick collapse on him or he runs at tacklers instead of running away from them...or both. If just seems like he is faster than he has shown in games.

Against Texas, it's going to be paramount to stay away from 3rd and long situations. Situations which historically result in big plays for Top 10 teams against us (i.e. sacks, sacks + fumble, interceptions). Therefore, play calling on 1st & 2nd down is going to be huge. I hope there is a lot of miss direction (i.e. reverses, jet sweeps, etc.) AND several designed run plays for SS early in the down set. If he does decide to run, GO!!!! Run away from trouble not into it.

I'm sure the coaching staff has been telling him that for 3 years now. It's probably the one part of the team that keeps fans from buying into the upside for the POKES. Defense is solid, receivers are getting healthy, and Warren is a MUCH needed spark for the entire team. QB needs to step up. I think he is very capable just be decisive...DO IT!!

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I agree. I can understand regarding his passing based up SS's limitations. It's pretty obvious that the play calling limits his options to ONE because he has a very difficult time with check downs and then delivering an accurate pass. However, in regards to his running, I don't get it. Many times, like you said, he takes off on a run with PLENTY of space and it seems that he either is too slow/indecisive and tacklers quick collapse on him or he runs at tacklers instead of running away from them...or both. If just seems like he is faster than he has shown in games.

Against Texas, it's going to be paramount to stay away from 3rd and long situations. Situations which historically result in big plays for Top 10 teams against us (i.e. sacks, sacks + fumble, interceptions). Therefore, play calling on 1st & 2nd down is going to be huge. I hope there is a lot of miss direction (i.e. reverses, jet sweeps, etc.) AND several designed run plays for SS early in the down set. If he does decide to run, GO!!!! Run away from trouble not into it.

I'm sure the coaching staff has been telling him that for 3 years now. It's probably the one part of the team that keeps fans from buying into the upside for the POKES. Defense is solid, receivers are getting healthy, and Warren is a MUCH needed spark for the entire team. QB needs to step up. I think he is very capable just be decisive...DO IT!!
I was looking at the drive chart from Saturday, and the 3rd and long situations seem to be really killing drives. Many of those are due to predictable run plays on 1st down, which put us behind schedule, then we get forced into obvious pass situations on 3rd. Couple that with our inability to utilize the entire field, the limitations that SS has reading defenses, and our aversion to designed QB runs, and it makes for a lot of short drives.

Our goal against Texas should be limiting the 3rd and medium to 3rd and long situations, and I believe throwing more on 1st down is a key to that. I also think we need to give SS more QB run plays, and the option looked really good the other night against Baylor.

Jun 20, 2013
Maybe I'm alone here, but I don't see how a RPO style offense helps a struggling QB. If you're always keying off the Dline, or maybe a linebacker, you're not reading safety/corner movements post snap. I would think this would make it harder to feel confident you can deliver a pass to an open receiver, and without confidence, accuracy suffers. Would love to hear a different perspective.

Jun 20, 2013
I was looking at the drive chart from Saturday, and the 3rd and long situations seem to be really killing drives. Many of those are due to predictable run plays on 1st down, which put us behind schedule, then we get forced into obvious pass situations on 3rd. Couple that with our inability to utilize the entire field, the limitations that SS has reading defenses, and our aversion to designed QB runs, and it makes for a lot of short drives.

Our goal against Texas should be limiting the 3rd and medium to 3rd and long situations, and I believe throwing more on 1st down is a key to that. I also think we need to give SS more QB run plays, and the option looked really good the other night against Baylor.
I agree, 3rd and long always kills drives unless you have an elite offense. There's a reason coaches start telling punt team to get ready when a QB takes a sack on 1st or second down. They typically don't game plan for 7-15 yard plays, and if you attempt a 12-15 yard pass on second down after a sack, you're almost sayin you expect to punt barring some serious YAC.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Maybe I'm alone here, but I don't see how a RPO style offense helps a struggling QB. If you're always keying off the Dline, or maybe a linebacker, you're not reading safety/corner movements post snap. I would think this would make it harder to feel confident you can deliver a pass to an open receiver, and without confidence, accuracy suffers. Would love to hear a different perspective.
I would agree with you if we're gonna run a multiple offense. My suggestion above was giving SS more true QB option runs, not RPO.