Protest in Iran growing

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Where are you seeing that? And why in the world would you believe that?
because even though GOP voters think it is Unconstitutional to Name the US a Christian Nation...they are still willing to support the move. Which means they are in favor of overriding the Constitution in order to make the US a Christian Nation. Creating a State Sponsored Religion after that is logically the next step and thus outlawing all other religions.

We started by asking participants if they believed the Constitution would even allow the United States government to declare the U.S. a “Christian Nation.” We found that 70 percent of Americans — including 57 percent of Republicans and 81 percent of Democrats — said that the Constitution would not allow such a declaration. (Indeed, the First Amendment says Congress can neither establish nor prohibit the practice of a religion.)

We followed up by asking: “Would You Favor or Oppose the United States Officially Declaring the United States to be a Christian Nation?” The findings were striking.

Overall, 62 percent of respondents said they opposed such a declaration, including 83 percent of Democrats and 39 percent of Republicans. Fully 61 percent of Republicans supported declaring the United States a Christian nation. In other words, even though over half of Republicans previously said such a move would be unconstitutional, a majority of GOP voters would still support this declaration.

Not surprisingly, much of the support for declaring the U.S. a Christian nation comes from Republicans who identify themselves as Evangelical or born-again Christians: Seventy-eight percent of this group support the move compared to 48 percent of other Republicans. Among Democrats, a slight majority of those identifying themselves as Evangelical or born-again Christians also backed such a declaration (52 percent), compared to just 8 percent of other Democrats.

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...the-united-states-a-christian-nation-00057736

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Republican Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene announced on Friday that she would begin selling Christian Nationalist shirts despite the backlash she recently received for touting this belief.

"The Godless left is relentlessly attacking me for my Christian faith. I am a proud Christian and a proud American," she wrote on Truth Social, a social media platform launched by former president Donald Trump. "That's why I am a proud Christian Nationalist. Claim your Proud Christian Nationalist shirt now and share your love for our great country."

The Georgia congresswoman was heavily criticized recently by Christians and non-religious people for calling Americans to embrace Christian nationalism, which is the belief that the United States is defined by Christianity and that the government should take steps to keep it that way, Dr. Paul D. Miller, co-chair for global politics and security at Georgetown University, explained in a 2021 article for Christianity Today.

Republican Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene announced on Friday she would begin selling Christian Nationalist shirts despite the backlash she recently received for touting this belief.

"Popularly, Christian nationalists assert that America is and must remain a 'Christian nation'—not merely as an observation about American history, but as a prescriptive program for what America must continue to be in the future," Miller said.

During the conservative Turning Point USA Student Action Summit in Florida on Saturday, Greene said that Christian Nationalism is a "good thing."

She said that "there's nothing wrong with leading with your faith....If we do not live our lives and vote like we are nationalists—caring about our country, and putting our country first and wanting that to be the focus of our federal government—if we do not lead that way, then we will not be able to fix it."

GOP Representative Adam Kinzinger compared her statements about Christian Nationalism to the Taliban's, stressing that the group enforces a similar ideology when imposing their version of Islamic law.

Critics have denounced this ideology and consider it radical and in opposition to interfaith inclusion. They argue that Christian Nationalism is often linked to extreme movements such as the "alt-right" and white supremacy. Last week, Reverend Paul Raushenbush, a Baptist minister and the incoming president of the Interfaith Alliance, said in an interview that Christian Nationalism is "a threat to the American way of life."

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Having long rejected the historical boundaries of traditional politics and even the basic facts of reality, many of today’s elected Republican leaders are no longer interested in seeking power through democracy. Instead, they seek to tie the MAGA movement to their supporters’ most cherished religious traditions, enshrining their politics as a key tenet of evangelical and even Catholic Christianity. As University of Pennsylvania professor and MSNBC contributor Anthea Butler wrote on Twitter following the rally, “You have a major faction of the Republican Party morphing into Republican Religion... These rallies, especially the Trump ones, have effectively blended religious fervor, calls for violence, and patriotism into a noxious stew.” To oppose QAnon and MAGA is now to oppose God, country, and family, for they have been made one and the same in the minds of the MAGA base.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
This is all part of what scholars mean by the term “Christian nationalism”: The Republican Party’s merging of American and evangelical Christian identities to proclaim that only conservative Christians count as “true Americans,” and that only right-wing Republicans can be considered true Christians. The intentional coupling of MAGA politics with religious imagery isn’t merely a rhetorical act, either. Under Christofascism, the only thing that matters is that conservative Christian leaders and their allies hold power. In such a system, there is need neither for democracy nor for equal rights.

Trump’s Ohio rally is hardly the only recent example of a politician appropriating religious symbols to seize power. Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene labels all her critics “the godless left,” ignoring the truth that many who object to her embrace of the phrase “Christian nationalist” are in fact her own fellow Christians. Meanwhile, Pennsylvania’s Republican gubernatorial nominee Doug Mastriano, who was present at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021 and promoted baseless 2020 election fraud claims, has even suggested that the Bible actually forbids Christians from criticizing him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/donald-trumps-bizarre-altar-call-ohio-gop-maga-qanon-rcna48640

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
because even though GOP voters think it is Unconstitutional to Name the US a Christian Nation...they are still willing to support the move. Which means they are in favor of overriding the Constitution in order to make the US a Christian Nation. Creating a State Sponsored Religion after that is logically the next step and thus outlawing all other religions.

We started by asking participants if they believed the Constitution would even allow the United States government to declare the U.S. a “Christian Nation.” We found that 70 percent of Americans — including 57 percent of Republicans and 81 percent of Democrats — said that the Constitution would not allow such a declaration. (Indeed, the First Amendment says Congress can neither establish nor prohibit the practice of a religion.)

We followed up by asking: “Would You Favor or Oppose the United States Officially Declaring the United States to be a Christian Nation?” The findings were striking.

Overall, 62 percent of respondents said they opposed such a declaration, including 83 percent of Democrats and 39 percent of Republicans. Fully 61 percent of Republicans supported declaring the United States a Christian nation. In other words, even though over half of Republicans previously said such a move would be unconstitutional, a majority of GOP voters would still support this declaration.

Not surprisingly, much of the support for declaring the U.S. a Christian nation comes from Republicans who identify themselves as Evangelical or born-again Christians: Seventy-eight percent of this group support the move compared to 48 percent of other Republicans. Among Democrats, a slight majority of those identifying themselves as Evangelical or born-again Christians also backed such a declaration (52 percent), compared to just 8 percent of other Democrats.

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...the-united-states-a-christian-nation-00057736
And you think such polling results indicate an imminent reversal of the 1st amendment? That is a massive leap, and just isn't something you need to continue hyperventilating over.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Last Wednesday, Southern Baptist leader Al Mohler said that to vote the “wrong way” is to be “unfaithful” to God. Then on Friday, at the Mike Flynn-headlined “ReAwaken America Tour” in Post Falls, Idaho — a MAGA affair that has been called “QAnon 2.0” — Trump confidante Pastor Mark Burns proclaimed, “I’m coming here to declare war on every demonic, demon-possessed Democrat that comes from the gates of Hell!”

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
Listen guys...someday the Handmaidens tale will be real...but honestly..you have nothing to worry about.

All you have to do is submit to our purity tribunals, and if you've been found to have led a holy life you'll be fine.
I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Listen guys...someday the Handmaidens tale will be real...but honestly..you have nothing to worry about.

All you have to do is submit to our purity tribunals, and if you've been found to have led a holy life you'll be fine.
I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

Personally I think Both sides have their own vastly differing versions of that exact thing in mind and they are both terrifying thoughts.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Last line is spot-on. All it takes for the religious right to follow is someone saying "I'm a Christian". The words and deeds that follow are irrelevant (as evidenced).
Lol it has nothing with saying you are christian it has to do with the candidate furthering the goals of the religious right. Like judges and laws supporting religious freedom. You know, like every other special interest group on the right and the left :D. The democrats have every chance to support their positions but they choose not to so they dont get there vote. The republicans do so guess who they vote for. Last I checked we are voting for our preferred presidential candidate not my church pastor.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
lol

You failed to mention what happens if unhinged liberals take over, because they're just the opposite side of the coin. The openly support violence against opposing views, they support censorship, they support canceling people, etc....

The problem isn't Christianity, religion, left, right, blue, red, etc....the problems are cognitive dissonance, extremism, dehumanization, and the willingness to accept violence as a rational means to achieve an end. Both extremes are doing that right now, and it's scary in and of itself.
Agree to disagree on the bold. Particularly about religion in general. It's a virus in the brain that prevents critical thinking. Animals don't talk - but a serpent in the Bible did. People don't come back from the dead - but they do in the Bible. The sun doesn't stop on it's path through the sky - but in the Bible God can do that. All the things you know to be factual become irrelevant in the face of religion. Computer viruses work the same way. Computer knows 2+2=4, but you get infected and suddenly 2+2= banana.

As for 'the other side is bad', I never said it was a republican/democrat thing. I don't want the democrats in power, I want the republicans. ACTUAL republicans. Not these Christian Nationalists Republicans. I don't like them, I don't trust them, and I think they would give up the Republic before they gave up conservatism.