Property around campus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 27, 2018
okc
[QUOTE="eddie4osu75, post: 4223961, member: 18472" I had heard that OSU wanted to pay the Catholic church money to move off campus but didn't come up with enough to please the church..
Yes, the seller dictates the price at which they will sell their property. You sound like you'd rather real estate worked another way.

That said, OSU has used Eminent Domain to force people to sell their personal homes at a price picked by OSU. So...it's happened before. But the Catholic Church isn't going to be bullied like regular townsfolk....even if OSU would like to remove Christianity from campus.

If they can't fit a target on Duck, maybe than can fit another 10-12 weed stores on those vacant lots. I think the current zoning ordinance in Stillwater requires at least one pot store on every block. Or they could build a Wiccan or Atheist Temple . That would better reflect the direction OSU is headed.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Never said what I'd rather anyone does. What I would prefer is OSU come up with something that would make both parties happy.

I don't think OSU has any agenda against churches or any businesses. But, what I think their agenda should be is the expansion of the surrounding area for the future growth of OSU. Grab what they can when they can and like I said make all parties happy.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Don't know where you live, but here Target is still a nice store. I wrote a letter to HQ's several yrs ago citing that Target's use of end caps, which encroached on checkout line space, made them resemble Kmart. They sent me a $50 gift card and the end caps disappeared. Rare good response from suits.
Targets are nice. It's ideal retail for middle class people. Macy's quality stuff at Walmart level pricing.

I'm a little surprised Stillwater doesn't have one (It's been a while since I was on campus) but I agree with everyone who doesn't want it downtown. With the space and traffic it needs to be on the outskirts.

Sep 12, 2008
Stillwater was in line to get a target circa 2007. It was going to be on the west side of country club road across from the walmart. Then the housing crash came in 2008 and that was it. Now with 3 walmarts I don't see it ever happening.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
It's California folks. It's terrifying how they are ruining the ground they buy.
It will be fairly short lived and costly to the Chinese buyers. This is playing out like when Japan became a hot market economy and they bought Pebble Beach Golf course and Rockefeller Center among other US properties.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Is this the same mayor that tried to one up the Norman mayor in pandemic fascism?
In a place like Stillwater where you have a significant chunk of the population living on top of each other; it's a good idea to control the spread of a potentially harmful virus that would kill a significant amount of smokers, asthmatics, old people and morbidly obese people.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It will be fairly short lived and costly to the Chinese buyers. This is playing out like when Japan became a hot market economy and they bought Pebble Beach Golf course and Rockefeller Center among other US properties.
Hope you are right but the 1980s difference being billions of people and a hostile super power. Would be more like the USSR purchasing property and we should rightfully be alarmed more than when the Japanese did capitalism better than us. This is the commies doing capitalism better than us...that’s just weird and scary.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I’m not sure I follow. Are they literally ruining the soil from weed farming? Or are the stores a blight?
I’m not him but I think he’s saying they pay too much driving prices up and bring their politics as well...thus “ruining” the “ground” they purchase.

Sep 12, 2008
One of my doomer/prepper acquaintances was telling me that a lot of farms around her area are being bought by the Chinese or by Mexicans to grow pot. They have some pretty huge grow farms out her way. Pretty smart move to cash in if true. Grow licenses are pretty cheap and you don't have to ship the product in anymore.

Jun 20, 2013
The few near me in Tulsa are far nicer than the Wal-Marts around here.

When I was on campus ('13-'17), everybody wanted a Target.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
When I was on campus 06-10 everyone wanted, and thought we were getting, a Target. Also, there was always a wild conspiracy about Olive Garden and Stan Clark.

Sep 12, 2008
When I was on campus 06-10 everyone wanted, and thought we were getting, a Target. Also, there was always a wild conspiracy about Olive Garden and Stan Clark.
That's rumor had been around for years. Olive Garden came to town with some hefty incentives and within a year Joseppi's was toast.

I'm doubtful that we will ever see a Target here.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Hope you are right but the 1980s difference being billions of people and a hostile super power. Would be more like the USSR purchasing property and we should rightfully be alarmed more than when the Japanese did capitalism better than us. This is the commies doing capitalism better than us...that’s just weird and scary.
The Japanese sold most of their purchases at a loss, not sure how that is capitalism better than us. If you are wanting to be alarmed you should worry more about our dependency on Chinese goods and not that they are buying land to grow pot at again incredibly inflated prices.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I’m not him but I think he’s saying they pay too much driving prices up and bring their politics as well...thus “ruining” the “ground” they purchase.
Perhaps. We had a good story in the politics forum about unscrupulous out of town growers who run shady operations. Thought maybe it was one of them. Oklahoma is doing better than most at getting rid of them.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
On today’s episode of “Ironically, This Guy Needs A Joint”:
Gotta admit. I wasn’t sure I was in the right Stillwater. A pedi cab with an advertisement for a dispensary pulled up in our parking lot before the first game. All purple cab with blinking LED pot leafs all over it. $20 for two of us about a mile walk. A heck of a deal. He took us straight to the dispensary first. My buddy had a card so why not? 45 minutes later we got front row drop off to the line going in BPS. Finally. Football in style.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
No, they are scraping the top soil, piling it up and they have no kind of water abatement. When they abandon it right before the sheriff's sale it will be unusable.