Program Identity?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Yep, boring and predictable. No creativity with schemes or play calling at all. Actually accentuates our weaknesses on the OL because the defense can pin their ears back. I think many have forgotten how putrid our offense had become before Holgerson arrived.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Garrett Riley will be a hot name soon if SMU keeps putting up big numbers. If that name sounds familiar, it should. (He's Lincoln's little brother.)
Interesting candidate if your goal is to accelerate the little brother image.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Interesting candidate if your goal is to accelerate the little brother image.
I didn't even think about that. OU has had Mike Gundy's little brother on their staff for a long time though. The "little brother" moniker seems to come down to wins and losses. Besides, OU is just a random SEC team now. They no longer matter to us.

Lincoln Riley is the OC we should've hired back in 2013 to replace Monken. I would hire his brother in a heartbeat if I felt like he was the best candidate for the job. I'm not ready to give up on Coach Dunn yet though. I'll be interested to see what the offense looks like this year with Sanders under center.

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
To be clear Gundy didn’t bring the uptempo offense. OSU got beat by Houston at home and the offensive coordinator for Houston that day was Dana Holgerson. Gundy hired Holgy and Brandon Weeden was the perfect fit. Rudolph was able to run that type of offense, Chelf ran it pretty well. If your watching the ole Miss game tonight that’s what OSU used to be. The offense right now looks confused on who they want to be.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
It all changed after Gundy was supposedly offered Tennesse. Holder and Hargis got Boone to back off and we started worrying about "continuity" of offensive coordinators which is Gundy speak for slow and plodding. That's when we went full Patty Jones.

Dec 21, 2008
I posted 2 wks ago how the gameday environment was boring and got ripped. Went again Saturday and the environment sucked. No mention of Barry in year ‘21. No mention of the Ring of Honor. No NFL mentions. Music is from a party iPod from 2006. We only play one Garth song which IMO we should embrace and play several. 95% of the energetic rap music is 15+ years old not even current. Love seeing other stadiums embrace the Sandstorm or Enter Sandman or Jump Around. Friends in Low Places is not quite stadium rocking. Neither is Never Been to Spain. We need some new gameday marketing and entertainment. Nothing was cooler than the Homecoming & Hoops laser light show with the old Gallagher Iba transforming the floor to the current gym. Our games feel like Tulsa’s games…stagnant.

Our team falls right into the way Gundy coaches. When we get aggressive play calling we block well and hit big plays. When we go conservative and run 3 times up the middle for no gain the team mentally looks lackluster and bored. Been that way for years. I really feel he has learned within the past 7yrs to limit risks and make games a 1-2 possession type game and tries to win the close one. He has said similar things about ou just trying to keep it close instead of going for the throat and telling his guys they are better than them at times. We’ve won many games with his complacency but it’s also our hindrance. We will never be better than a 9-3 type team. Our OL recruiting is poor. It’s been an excuse for 5+ years now. Line play is the difference between avg and elite

Nov 22, 2020
Belton, TX
Here's the thing. I don't think Gundy's ego will allow him to realize that we will never compete nationally running a scheme like he wants to run. It's too similar to the schemes the Alabamas and Ohio States run and we will never out recruit those guys, especially with his attitude towards recruiting. We need something that allows us to maximize the talent we have and negate the talent gap we often have with other teams that are "elite." Sure, we have skill position players on the reg who can compete with those guys but, in the trenches, we aren't on the same level. The spread was the great equalizer that allowed us to maximize our skill position players and minimize offensive line deficiencies. Why, after all his years coaching, he can't see this is beyond me. I've been and will continue to be an advocate of Graham Harrell being here. He young, has coached here and would be, in my opinion, similar to Riley in skill and scheme.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
It's scheme and play calling, but there is one more factor and it may be most important: execution. You can have a great scheme and call the perfect play, but if one O lineman or blocking back doesn't make their block, a defender comes free and blows up the play. No team executes 100%, and the team with the better execution % usually wins; it takes a HUGE gap in talent to overcome poor execution.

That's why even less talented teams with a lot of players often win; they have had more "live game" action and repetitions and they execute better.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
To be clear Gundy didn’t bring the uptempo offense. OSU got beat by Houston at home and the offensive coordinator for Houston that day was Dana Holgerson. Gundy hired Holgy and Brandon Weeden was the perfect fit. Rudolph was able to run that type of offense, Chelf ran it pretty well. If your watching the ole Miss game tonight that’s what OSU used to be. The offense right now looks confused on who they want to be.
Fedora wasn’t a completely different offense for us?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Our identity is, and has always been, Oklahoma State University has a football program that we enjoy as opposed to the school down south which is a football program with a school attached. Honestly if you don’t understand this, and want it the other way, you are a fan of the wrong program. This means we do win, but we do it with integrity and pride in the way we win. We don’t win at all cost like OU and Baylor in the past decade. We do it clean, fair snd with honor. Those of you sad sacks over reacting to one game, that we won btw, need to take a long hard look at priorities and perhaps your fandom, and decide what you want….because IF it’s not matching up with our program, that might be on you rather than the program.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Our identity is, and has always been, Oklahoma State University has a football program that we enjoy as opposed to the school down south which is a football program with a school attached. Honestly if you don’t understand this, and want it the other way, you are a fan of the wrong program. This means we do win, but we do it with integrity and pride in the way we win. We don’t win at all cost like OU and Baylor in the past decade. We do it clean, fair snd with honor. Those of you sad sacks over reacting to one game, that we won btw, need to take a long hard look at priorities and perhaps your fandom, and decide what you want….because IF it’s not matching up with our program, that might be on you rather than the program.
Agreed on the first part; however, that says nothing about what our identity should be going forwward (i.e. same or change?). Disagree with your last comment because that tells me you don't believe we can be more successful without also sacrificing integrity and pride, and that just isn't true.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Agreed on the first part; however, that says nothing about what our identity should be going forwward (i.e. same or change?). Disagree with your last comment because that tells me you don't believe we can be more successful without also sacrificing integrity and pride, and that just isn't true.
Well I happen to believe that the 9 or 10 programs who have been better than us in the last decade do just that…so how do we become better than 10th in win percentage over the past decade? This is my point…the sad sacks take no joy in our program because it’s not ou…that mentality needs to go or our fans will be constantly depressed and never learn to enjoy the great success we actually do have.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Well I happen to believe that the 9 or 10 programs who have been better than us in the last decade do just that…so how do we become better than 10th in win percentage over the past decade? This is my point…the sad sacks take no joy in our program because it’s not ou…that mentality needs to go or our fans will be constantly depressed able and never learn to enjoy the great success we actually do have.
I get where you're coming from, but let me frame it a different way. We've been able to achieve and sustain success at a very high level in wrestling, baseball, and golf, and STILL maintain our integrity and pride; so tell me why fans and the administration cannot expect the same from football?

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
I get where you're coming from, but let me frame it a different way. We've been able to achieve and sustain success at a very high level in wrestling, baseball, and golf, and STILL maintain our integrity and pride; so tell me why fans and the administration cannot expect the same from football?
Because those sports you cite are still pretty amateur, where football has been semi-pro for a long long time.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Well I happen to believe that the 9 or 10 programs who have been better than us in the last decade do just that…so how do we become better than 10th in win percentage over the past decade? This is my point…the sad sacks take no joy in our program because it’s not ou…that mentality needs to go or our fans will be constantly depressed able and never learn to enjoy the great success we actually do have.
Why must you label people disparingly? I walked the same halls you did around the time you did, my family are proud alumni of the State's university, but we have a boring offensive football program. I don't want to fire Gundy but he needs to step it up.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Because those sports you cite are still pretty amateur, where football has been semi-pro for a long long time.
So what? Call it semi-pro, B-league, minors, or whatever, it doesn't change the fact we can still choose to pursue a higher level of success than what we've achieved and STILL maintain our "integrity and pride", terms previously used. And as I mentioned before, that will basically take two things: money and the willingness to make aggressive personnel changes/demands. Either the fans and administration are collectively for that or they're not, that's it.

Dec 16, 2019
Tulsa
I agree with the previous poster we are BORING!! I'm not sure when it happened but I was in the stands every game last year and can just remember siting up there be bored out of my mind. Especially if we get any kind of lead, run up the middle, run up the middle, draw up the middle...PUNT!
Now I can't harp back as far as 2014 as soon are sayin with when this "boring" style of play started. But you do have to remember about last year is our QB1 was hurt most of it as well as our RB1, plus all of the O-line problems. That game was bad let's all admit that of course, but also let's see what it is like when we have our dual-threat at QB who can read the RPO's and hopefully get our running game back on track.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
With all due respect, this is nonsensical. You can’t have a creative offensive scheme that’s difficult to defend, as opposed to a plodding, predictable offense, without cheating? I’m not overreacting to this game—didn’t see it, but anyone who’s watched our program over the last few years has seen that we’ve gotten away from the DH/Monken offenses that we once hung our hat on. To suggest that a program has to cheat to have an offensive pulse is ridiculous. Do we also have to cheat to have a decent return game?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Why must you label people disparingly? I walked the same halls you did around the time you did, my family are proud alumni of the State's university, but we have a boring offensive football program. I don't want to fire Gundy but he needs to step it up.
Do you take joy in the program? If not, I suggest you just tailgate and don't go to the game. As fans we are to support the program, we make no changes in the offense or who is even the coach...our job is to be fans and to have a positive attitude and perspective on the program. I'm not being "despairing" I'm just being honest and realistic about how I feel about fans who overreact to one game. It was one game...SO, UNLESS you (or me) are a huge donner like Boone was, we have no say in the matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.