Program Identity?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Was talking to some fans yesterday and today (including a freshman in the marching band) Just curious where the fan base lies. This isn't about the MoSt game, this is in general and you can go back as far as you want to make a case.

What is our program's identity? What would you like it to be?

Every broadcast an announcer will talk about our "explosive offense" or that we're "known for points." Heck they do it for almost every Big XII team and then inevitably it's 14-7 at half and their talking about how it's not an expected total at that point in the game.

National media talks about zero defense in the conference which was as much as a result of every team trying to hang 50 every game and score on every play for years but save for Lincoln Riley, I am not sure that is real anymore.

Gundy completely changed who we are when he arrived. He made us relevant. Before it was Oregon of the plains uniforms it was offense. Score, score, score. Mismatches everywhere, get players in space, exploit match ups because it was easier to recruit a few athletes to make that work than it was a ton of o lineman to play a BIG type game. I loved it. Still do. I also love the defensive hire of Knowles and what he does. Huge supporter of that move. I loved the creativity on offense. Almost like slight of hand as soon as we caught the defense thinking it had things figured out. 52 yards wide by 100 long was always in play, no matter the situation.

I liked the days knowing you had to score 50 to beat us. Sure we might play a 56-49 game or lose 63-49 to the number 1 team in the country and still have cardiac arrest but I was never worried about any drive, a penalty setting us back, a dropped pass derailing us etc. Did that really change? Is the goal really 21-28 and then hang on for dear life? I don't think so, he threw it twice with less than 2:00 to go and it wasn't to get a first down, it was to throw a TD and win. We missed. I also remember the 90's. I remember our RB's and the wishbone. I remember him completely changing our philosophy after feeling like Oregon beat us up physically in the Holiday bowl and then we started doing that to people, especially in bowl games.

All of that to say I am a fan of Gundy and appreciate where he's taken us. I am not ripping on Gundy, his staff or the players. I am really curious as to where the board stands on identity. I have considered calling into the coach's show to ask him. Respectfully of course as I am not the coach and don't pretend to be one. I don't know if he'd even answer me no matter how polite any of us might be (that is a bit of a dig but I won't apologize for it based on how most coaches handle those shows) I do think we as fans who shell out the money, drives 4-6 hours each way 6 times a year and go to bowl games should at least have some clue as to what the identity is and what the plan is to get there. I love going back to Stillwater. I want to spend all day hanging out with Cowboys, tailgating, buying a new orange shirt, eat and then go watch us play fast, use the whole field and light up the scoreboard like a Christmas tree. That is the ultimate Saturday for me regardless of the outcome. Ok sure outcome matters some but that is still a good Saturday. Cost factors go out the window. Could have a very similar discussion about basketball to be honest but that's another thread.

What do you guys think? What is our program's identity? What would you like it to be?

Sorry for long lead it.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Pretty simple, our identity is boring. We have swapped safety for excitement since 2014.
Ok - what do you want it to be? Any programs (realistically) you’d like to emulate to get away from boring? Who’s out there playing the type of offense you like?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Pretty simple, our identity is boring. We have swapped safety for excitement since 2014.
I'll take it a step further, outside of the game itself, and I'm using my own OU family (parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws) as a comparison since I grew up around it all. We don't have a collective desire to do what it really takes to consistently compete for a football championship...NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT. It wasn't the case before I became a part of the school, it wasn't the case when I was in school, and although I do acknowledge quite a bit of progress has been made, it really doesn't seem to be the case now and going forward. We had money with Boone and for the most part that went to the facilities. That's where, for all intents and purposes, I believe it ends. The fans really don't seem to care or we would have worked to get Gundy kicked to the curb a while back and pushed hard for change. I see it with OU fans. Holder really didn't care or he would have done something before the fans theoretically had to. I see that with Joe C. Administrations and fans of top tier teams don't accept "good", and "loyalty". They do what it takes to get better and win consistently. If it takes money to fire a coach and bring in someone else, so be it; see also Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson. It's harsh, but it's also reality.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Ok - what do you want it to be? Any programs (realistically) you’d like to emulate to get away from boring? Who’s out there playing the type of offense you like?
I still like the modified air raid we used to run instead of the modified ground and pound (or balance offense) that we currently run. Light it up and blow the hell out of the other team. This safe stuff is stiff and boring.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I misread. Thought it was about school identity. Which I would say is family. Wouldn’t want it changed for nothing. I really enjoy meeting others from our shared experiences. Was in Cork Ireland and naturally, my hotel check in was a cowgirl. No matter where I am, there’s something orange about me that other Pokes see a mile away.

The program identity that attracted me was the blue collar image put on us by the “others”. Rustoleum and the whole package. We knew we weren’t pretty. We knew we weren’t rich. But everyone knew you were going to get our best. To me, that’s all that ever mattered. Play the cards your dealt the best possible way.

Oct 30, 2007
Our program identity is consistency. The coaches we hire, offensive system we run, and players we recruit are all designed to provide continuity. It's worked. We've gone to 15 straight bowl games. But it's also given us a lower ceiling over the program.

I would like to see us be more aggressive. I want to see us hire the very best OC possible and give him the freedom to evolve the offense. I want to see us hire young and aggressive position coaches that will spend countless hours recruiting. I don't care if we have to replace assistant coaches every year. That's a good problem to have, because that means they're having a high level of success and moving up.

Everything we do should be geared towards winning a national championship. I know that may never happen, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it. I would rather shoot for greatness than be content with being good.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Our program identity is consistency. The coaches we hire, offensive system we run, and players we recruit are all designed to provide continuity. It's worked. We've gone to 15 straight bowl games. But it's also given us a lower ceiling over the program.

I would like to see us be more aggressive. I want to see us hire the very best OC possible and give him the freedom to evolve the offense. I want to see us hire young and aggressive position coaches that will spend countless hours recruiting. I don't care if we have to replace assistant coaches every year. That's a good problem to have, because that means they're having a high level of success and moving up.

Everything we do should be geared towards winning a national championship. I know that may never happen, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it. I would rather shoot for greatness than be content with being good.
What he said

Nov 6, 2010
I'm no expert by any means, but it seems pretty clear defenses have caught up to the offenses, and not just in our conference, scores are lower everywhere. Penn State and Wisconsin was 0-0 at half for example. As far as our identity, I really don't mind the change to a more defense oriented conservative team. However, I'd be curious to see how we'd do if we put our QB back under center and if we have a dual threat QB then make the play action mean something again. Can you imagine SS running hard play action bootlegs?? If we have a QB like Ill in there, then either put him under center or go true shotgun, I hate the pistol for either type QB. I know it's going backward as far as what's current with offensive football, but I think there would be something to being unique again. Our offense is the same as everyone else's now, and we are never going to out recruit anyone to the point where we can be dominant running the same stuff everyone else does.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Jeff Grimes (Currently at Baylor, at BYU from 2017-2020) is a phenomenal OC—extremely creative and innovative. BYU’s offense has been a great mix of power running and wide-open passing.

Sep 6, 2011
Perhaps my memory is fuzzy, but in my mind we used to be a team that was very sound on offense and special teams and was typically very disciplined. The talent simply wasn’t there for the most part, so the players were coached up bigtime. Fundamentals were sound and gameplans / in-game adjustments often put us in a position to beat superior (on paper) opponents. In short, we had an edge. Now its all about the “system” and the edge has bern blunted.

What I would like to see is the edge and passion to return, to maintain the defensive improvements that Knowles has implemented, and get back to an offense that is gonna hang 40-50 on every team we face.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
I agree with the previous poster we are BORING!! I'm not sure when it happened but I was in the stands every game last year and can just remember siting up there be bored out of my mind. Especially if we get any kind of lead, run up the middle, run up the middle, draw up the middle...PUNT!

Status
Not open for further replies.