Portal News

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Man I really hate to see this! I thought he had a bright future with Cowboy basketball. Thought he could develop into a Tony Allen level defender…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I really liked his energy. Full out hustle. Hard to blame him for hitting the portal. His minutes weren’t consistent and I think that makes it difficult for a player to be committed to a team because of the uncertainty of their playing time.
Agreed, no hard feelings toward the young man. Wish him nothing but success except when/if he plays OSU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
This is exactly why the NFL should be forced to have a farm system. Then all the NIL nonsense becomes moot. College football would go back to being truly amateur and guys like this that have no interest in school can start playing for money right out of high school, which should be their right. Not sure how the NFL could be forced into such a thing, maybe some kind of age discrimination suite, but the problem and the solution seem really obvious to me.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
One of these alternative pro leagues is going to figure out that they could pay these kids currently in college and make a killing. Take kids straight out of high school with no limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nov 6, 2010
One of these alternative pro leagues is going to figure out that they could pay these kids currently in college and make a killing. Take kids straight out of high school with no limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
For it to be economically viable though, I think there is going to have to be an affiliation with the NFL. Smaller cities in the areas of the respective NFL fanbases, like Omaha for the KC Chiefs, etc. I think tickets would sell if fans of NFL teams could watch the prospects develop and follow them up to the "big leagues". There just doesn't seem to be a market for a league that competes with or is an alternative league to the NFL, they are always viewed as inferior.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Maybe programs should start looking at scholarships and commitments the same way players do. Start “cutting” under performing players. Make room for guys that can contribute. These guys want to be treated like pros, right?

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Maybe programs should start looking at scholarships and commitments the same way players do. Start “cutting” under performing players. Make room for guys that can contribute. These guys want to be treated like pros, right?
The unfortunate thing is that this pandora's box is already opened and whether the players like it or not they will be treated as employees sooner rather than later due to their NIL deals etc. Meaning taxes etc will be something that the average player will have to begin to worry about on their scholarships etc.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
For it to be economically viable though, I think there is going to have to be an affiliation with the NFL. Smaller cities in the areas of the respective NFL fanbases, like Omaha for the KC Chiefs, etc. I think tickets would sell if fans of NFL teams could watch the prospects develop and follow them up to the "big leagues". There just doesn't seem to be a market for a league that competes with or is an alternative league to the NFL, they are always viewed as inferior.
Exactly. College football is successful not just because it's a minor league, but it has real and meaningful attachment to the schools. Just look at how many strong fan bases exist with mediocre to bad teams. This is not just about the quality of the product. Making it more explicitly tied to the NFL helps replace those ties while giving people a genuine connection to a pro team especially in areas that currently don't have them. It's even better if those kids are often local to the region.