Portal News

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-there-needs-complete-blowup-college-football

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney said this week that he thinks a lack of uniformity will lead to a complete restructuring in college athletics at some point. In particular, he sees the larger, more prominent Power 5 schools forming their own division in football.

"I think there's going to be a complete blowup ... especially in football, and there needs to be," Swinney told ESPN. "I think eventually there will be some type of break and another division. Right now, you got everybody in one group, and it's not feasible. Alabama has different problems than Middle Tennessee, but we're trying to make them all the same and it's just not. I think you'll have 40 or 50 teams and a commissioner and here are the rules."

Swinney said the current system is a "mess" and that it's hard to get anything accomplished as college athletics continue to evolve in the new world of the transfer portal and name, image and likeness.

"There's so much bureaucracy, and you can't get anything done in a real-time manner. It's frustrating," Swinney said. "The communication is not good, and the rules are outdated. Again, there have been a lot of positives when it comes to the scholarships. But you've got all these people voting on things, and it's just not apples to apples."

Swinney, entering his 14th season as Clemson head coach, said it's a good thing that players can cash in on their name, image and likeness once they get to school and have a "platform" but added that it's nonsensical to think that the current NIL rules weren't going to be used as a recruiting incentive.

"There's no rules, no guidance, no nothing," Swinney said. "It's out of control. It's not sustainable. It's an absolute mess and a train wreck, and the kids are going to be the ones who suffer in the end. There are going to be a lot of kids that end up with no degrees and make decisions based on the wrong things."

Swinney said Clemson won't actively use the transfer portal unless there is a gap the Tigers need to fill on their roster. For example, he said the Tigers would look to add an offensive lineman in May.

"My transfer portal is right there in that locker room because if I'm constantly going out every year and adding guys from the transfer portal, I'm telling all those guys in that locker room that I don't believe in them, that I don't think they can play," Swinney said. "We're also not doing our job as coaches and recruiters if we're bringing in a bunch of transfers."

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
They really need to institute a portal window and signing period.
There is somewhat of a window already, but they definitely need to refine the rules for the transfer portal process.

Transfer Portal primer ahead of the NCAA's May 1 transfer deadline
Players in fall and winter sports must provide their school with “a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal by May 1.” That May 1 deadline is a cutoff. If a player doesn’t enter the portal by that date, they won’t be eligible for the 2022 season, pending a waiver.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Must mean that Benson and Cobb are firmly planted at the LB position. Going to see this at a lot of schools after the spring game is completed. Sign of the times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I think it’s also about that Bishop has apparently really stepped his hand up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Hearing good things about Donnie Stephens as well.

With Birmingham's injury, I wonder if Williams could come back or if that ship had sailed. He's not committed anywhere as far as I've seen.
I thought I read Eli Russ was injured, was Cole too? In the article on PFB Gundy talks about having 20+ o lineman in the fall. Where are the all going to come from?

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I thought I read Eli Russ was injured, was Cole too? In the article on PFB Gundy talks about having 20+ o lineman in the fall. Where are the all going to come from?
Eli got hurt during the finale Saturday toward the end, but it reports are it might just be a sprain. Cole got hurt last week during a practice and it might be very bad depending on who you listen too. FYI the 20+ O lineman number for the fall that Gundy is giving out includes walk-ons and incoming freshman. So not sure how many of those guys can be counted on to really help out this fall.

Aug 19, 2006
Here is an updated transfer portal link for basketball. Ice is not on it yet.
Oklahoma State Cowboys 2022 College Basketball Transfer Portal (247sports.com)
My completely uninformed take on this is Ike sees a future in coaching and wants to get some additional experience in someone else's system before he hangs them up. Or maybe he just doesn't want to run it back with the same group we're bringing back. We'll probably never know.

It will definitely be interesting to see how he does with a different supporting cast around him that could play to his strengths. He was a great Cowboy. Best of luck wherever he ends up.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Some interesting data released on portal activity. Noteworthy that men's bb had almost 1 in 3 players hit the portal, while women's bb saw just over 1 in 5 players entering the portal.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...bs-players-entered-portal-enrolled-new-school
In a move to provide more transparency with regard to the transfer portal, the NCAA released statistics and information for the years 2020 and 2021 that shows only 54% of FBS players who entered the portal enrolled at a new school.

During the two-year period shown in the infographics provided by the NCAA, 5% of student-athletes who entered the portal withdrew their name, while 41% remained active in the transfer portal. The data shows an increase of more than 950 FBS players entering to the portal from August 2019-July 2020 (1,583) to August 2020-July 2021 (2,539). The NCAA has seen the most active months coming in December and January, with 38% of the 2021 entrants coming in those two months.

In 2020, there were 587 undergrad students who entered the portal and enrolled at a new school, whereas there were 950 in 2021. That sharp increase has continued to rise in the 2021-2022 year, and the numbers are expected to be even higher than the two previous years.

BS football saw the most student-athletes enter the transfer portal (2,538) of any sport, but men's basketball had the highest percentage of student-athletes in the portal with 31% (1,692) of its athletes entering in the year 2021. FBS saw 16% of its athletes enter the portal, while women's basketball had 22% (1,134) enter during the 12-month period.