Portal News

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 2, 2008
SC
You guys have it all wrong when it comes to the reason(s) JBC left for LSU. It wasn’t the money. It wasn’t the truck. It was simply this…..
https://twitter.com/bubbagumpino/status/1487213893688647687?s=21

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
You guys have it all wrong when it comes to the reason(s) JBC left for LSU. It wasn’t the money. It wasn’t the truck. It was simply this…..
I’ve always liked LSU but for some reason Brian Kelly has always rubbed me the wrong way. Guess I’ll have to put LSU on my “don’t root for” list

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
A salary cap is not going to happen. The schools are not the ones paying the players - many different companies and organizations are. You cannot restrict a person's freedom to earn money.

Say there was a salary cap. How in the world would you balance that with a player selling merchandise? Tell them they are at their limit and they can't sell one more autograph or one more t-shirt? Or say the All-American QB signs a big deal for more than the salary cap. What do you do with him and the rest of the team? Or even more difficult...say there is a skier that plays football (like Bloom(?) from Colorado) that wins a huge event and now his unforeseeable earnings take them over the cap.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a great idea but just not enforceable.
That's probably mostly true. I wonder if there is something that could work, though. Maybe something like:
  1. New structure in place that reverses amateurism rules so schools can pay athletes directly
  2. All student/athlete contracts require rejecting funds from other sources
  3. Schools pay more than the booster slush funds
Some people think #1 is already in the works as the Power schools look to break away from the NCAA. #3 is probably doable depending on the economics. Eliminating scholarships and putting that money into the paycheck would at least help with the optics.

I won't pretend to understand all of the legal ramifications and requirements, but #2 is clearly where the rubber meets the road. I have a non-compete clause in my contract at my job. And in fact, I believe it says that I can't even work in another industry if doing so would "negatively affect my job performance", where job performance is determined by the employer. Or from another angle, a local sheriff's deputy recently reached a separation agreement with her department when another officer complained about her OnlyFans page. The department claimed that it "brought negative attention to the department".

Once you have an employment contract with the athletes and you are paying them a significant amount, I think the legal power probably shift significantly toward the schools.

Jun 12, 2007
What in the world is this? It's as if Grandpa is trying anything to show he is cool and hip. First the fake accent and now this.

Oct 30, 2007

What in the world is this? It's as if Grandpa is trying anything to show he is cool and hip. First the fake accent and now this.
Beyond creepy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 12, 2020
OKC
I see Illingworth only played in two games this year. So doesn't that mean that with the 2020 Covid year, he's still got four years of eligibility left? That makes it even more interesting that he wasn't willing to wait for Spencer Sanders to leave. Maybe he thinks Spencer will be here two more years, and by that time he'll be competing with Gunnar.

I guess I'm saying maybe it's not such a bad thing if he's leaving because he thinks we've got good QBs he doesn't want to risk competing against.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Umm, umm, umm......
I got nothin'.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Don’t like one bit how our football program is dealing with the realities of the portal. After the Fiesta Bowl I was so optimistic for next season. Now it’s looking like another non-contender season which for Gundy which has been the norm lately. Hope I’m wrong and our HC is doing more than bass fishing or rattle snake hunting while our DC position goes unfilled and we continue to lose quality players with zero portal announcements. Love what Gundy has done for oSu football but how can all this be a good sign?
Why haven't you read the portal explanations? We were way over on players on scholarship with COVID seniors now counting against the limit of 85. We had to have some reductions. We needed room for our highest rated recruiting class ever to come in, too. So just stop with the handwringing. We have only one or two openings now even after all the losses to the portal. Only a very few players who are leaving will be missed.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
I see Illingworth only played in two games this year. So doesn't that mean that with the 2020 Covid year, he's still got four years of eligibility left? That makes it even more interesting that he wasn't willing to wait for Spencer Sanders to leave. Maybe he thinks Spencer will be here two more years, and by that time he'll be competing with Gunnar.

I guess I'm saying maybe it's not such a bad thing if he's leaving because he thinks we've got good QBs he doesn't want to risk competing against.
No, he won't be competing against Gunnar lol. He'll be competing against Garrett Rangel.