Portal News

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
While I love your enthusiasm for OSU sports, I feel like it gets in the way of you being objective. We have STARTERS leaving us to go to Ohio St and LSU. To me, that's the definition of a feeder program. And this is really only the first year of it. I prefer your line of thinking, but the facts don't seem to support it. Wins and losses are not the measuring stick here. We had a much better season that LSU and we still have a starter leaving us to play for them.
Thanks man...But what I'm saying is that we WILL HAVE a much better season than LSU is going to have...this next year as well. Btw, Jarrick Bernard-Converse was born April 29, 2000, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He's going home to finish his playing time...I'm very cool with that. That doesn't make us a blue blood feeder program, that just means JBC wanted to go home and finish out. May he have the best of success and enjoy his home and family at the same time. He likely always wanted to play for his Tigers at LSU, maybe they didnt see his talent or something. Once again, not a big deal or a bad on us.

Additionally Tanner McAlister - "The 5-foot-11, 195-pound defensive back was a three-star recruit as a cornerback in the class of 2018 and is from Rockwall, Texas, the same hometown as Jaxon Smith-Njigba, the Buckeyes’ record-setting receiver."

I wish both of these young men luck, we will miss them both but we will replace them both with great players. I have no worries about that. I think both are grad transfers. They remain Cowboys to me due to the service and work they put into the Pokes.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I completely agree that without Warren this would have been a horrible season.

I disagree about the WR talent.
Green, Green, Richardson, and Bray were all Freshmen last year.
Owens was a Sophomore but only played one game as a Freshman.

Only Bryson Green had less yards than Tay Martin did his first year at OSU (139 to 149)
They all had more games, receptions, and yards than Tylan Wallace as a Freshman.
Granted they were forced into the situation, but you can't discount the fact that they delivered.

There will be a couple stars in that group of 5 WR's to help Brennan.
horrible is a big strech. We won 12 games...and not just because of one running back. We had a stellar defense and would have had another running back. This is not to downplay Warren as I absolutely loved that guy..but to say we would have been fine and had an outstanding 10 win at least season...not a "horrible season." LOL.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Not all posters on here were listening when he said it. I was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
right…….because you know all lmao!!!
No, because I heard it.

You on the other hand hate all things RA. And if he said it, you’ll find a way to dispute or bash it. I hate to break the bad news, but he’s a lot more relevant and in the loop in the media world than you ever were.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
An NIL deal is a very possible reason. LSU is very, very active in the NIL market and is reportedly actively recruiting with NIL $$$.

maybe so but maybe, just maybe…he wanted to go home and play for a school he grew up liking a a child…just theory!! But no one knows if a NIL deal was given, just hearsay at this juncture
You’re right, we don’t KNOW. But we do KNOW LSU is throwing money around. Not a stretch to think NIL was the attraction.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
No, because I heard it.

You on the other hand hate all things RA. And if he said it, you’ll find a way to dispute or bash it. I hate to break the bad news, but he’s a lot more relevant and in the loop in the media world than you ever were.

Who is this dude?

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
No, because I heard it.

you heard what you wanted to hear….he got it wrong it’s okay to admit that but whatever fits your narrative.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
That's not the case.. We are NOT a feeder program for the blue bloods...Wake me when the seasons over and tell me who had the better year...US or LSU? Btw, it will be us.
I think we will have to revisit this argument in about 5 seasons from now. With the NIL and the immediate playing time after the portal being fairly new, the restructuring of the SEC, things are only going to get worse for schools like us. Used to just be poaching successful coaches, now it's going to be poaching successful coaches and players.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
You’re right, we don’t KNOW. But we do KNOW LSU is throwing money around. Not a stretch to think NIL was the attraction.

like I said hearsay…you don’t know, I don’t know…safe to say no one knows…until someone can prove JBC got a deal, it’s just speculation and talking radio heads making assumptions

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
So is OU a Feeder program Every college program has starters leaving to go some where else. Evan the NCs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I see a coaching change as a different scenario than guys leaving a program with a known entity at the helm.
Smart left Georgia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
So is OU a Feeder program Every college program has starters leaving to go some where else. Evan the NCs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Do they? I'm not aware of any that aren't motivated by a coaching change or some personal problem that forces them to move closer to home. I'm sure you can find one or two, but if they are starting at a BB and leaving, it probably means they've seen the writing on the wall and are leaving before they become a back up. In any case, OU this off season is a terrible example.
I cited the starting receiver at Georgia.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
I cited the starting receiver at Georgia.

I know, and I acknowledged that when I said I'm sure you can find one or two, but I think that will prove to be an exception and not the rule. They'll just plug one of the three or four 5 stars they have waiting in the wings and keep on churning. It's a little different for us.

Aug 16, 2012
Smart left Georgia

??????

Smart. Kirby Smart. Left Georgia?

No receiver named Smart. They lost Burton who was their starting slot receiver to Alabama and a couple things could be in play to that regard. Nobody knows if Bennett is actually coming back and nobody knows who is going to be the QB next year. Meanwhile, Alabama has the reigning Heisman winner back.

There are also a whole host of underclassmen receivers that are absolute studs with one recruit already penciled in as the X starter. He only had two catches out of 17 during the NCG which could have chipped him off.

As someone else noted, let the blue bloods poach back and forth from each other all they want. We are not Georgia so when a premier player bolts our program for another school, it leave a mark.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Thanks man...But what I'm saying is that we WILL HAVE a much better season than LSU is going to have...this next year as well. Btw, Jarrick Bernard-Converse was born April 29, 2000, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He's going home to finish his playing time...I'm very cool with that. That doesn't make us a blue blood feeder program, that just means JBC wanted to go home and finish out. May he have the best of success and enjoy his home and family at the same time. He likely always wanted to play for his Tigers at LSU, maybe they didnt see his talent or something. Once again, not a big deal or a bad on us.

Additionally Tanner McAlister - "The 5-foot-11, 195-pound defensive back was a three-star recruit as a cornerback in the class of 2018 and is from Rockwall, Texas, the same hometown as Jaxon Smith-Njigba, the Buckeyes’ record-setting receiver."

I wish both of these young men luck, we will miss them both but we will replace them both with great players. I have no worries about that. I think both are grad transfers. They remain Cowboys to me due to the service and work they put into the Pokes.
I still view both of those guys as traitors so I have the exact opposite feelings about them. JBC wanting to play in his hometown I can almost forgive. But something about leaving the teammates you've sweated and worked with for 3-4 years to go play for an SEC also ran still rubs me wrong. As for your TA explanation, that's too weak to get on board with. Some guy he may or may not have known (they are at least 3 years apart) is pretty thin. Now, following Knowles is a reasonable, but crappy reason. Either way, I am not wishing them any luck on the playing field and they are not Loyal and True Cowboys to me. I don't ever want to see guys like that back on campus for sure. You picked your home, so go back to Columbus or Baton Rouge.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I still view both of those guys as traitors so I have the exact opposite feelings about them. JBC wanting to play in his hometown I can almost forgive. But something about leaving the teammates you've sweated and worked with for 3-4 years to go play for an SEC also ran still rubs me wrong. As for your TA explanation, that's too weak to get on board with. Some guy he may or may not have known (they are at least 3 years apart) is pretty thin. Now, following Knowles is a reasonable, but crappy reason. Either way, I am not wishing them any luck on the playing field and they are not Loyal and True Cowboys to me. I don't ever want to see guys like that back on campus for sure. You picked your home, so go back to Columbus or Baton Rouge.
That is one way to look at it. I fall into the old school camp most the time as well but am in a more than forgiving mood knowing we are in amazing hands at the helm now.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
That is one way to look at it. I fall into the old school camp most the time as well but am in a more than forgiving mood knowing we are in amazing hands at the helm now.
Oddly, I probably fall into the new school camp most of the time. I'm fine with all the pro-players moves that have been made recently, even though they will probably eventually lead to the demise of OSU football. But this unfettered movement of players is not good. Not for us at least. We are in good hands now, but how long will that last? I'm afraid the answer to that is "until the moment Gundy retires". Once he retires, unless we are able to elevate ourselves over the next 5-10 years close to the level of an Auburn, Oregon, etc*., we are going to return to a stepping stone job. I'm afraid there's not enough NIL money flowing through Stillwater to keep us at this level. So we'll recruit them and develop them, and then they'll move on for a payday. Seems short sighted on the players behalf unless they are getting millions.

* I'm not talking results on the field here.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
He had said that him returning was on the table.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
i guess he’s going say he was tampered with and got a NIL deal too lmao
I mean, when it was announced he was going to the portal, RA said they're was a chance he could stay. I don't think I've ever heard him say he WAS returning.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
So here is a question. Not trying to be adversarial, more just getting a pulse....

If a kid who is a solid contributor up and leaves the program with eligibility left, are they viewed in any lesser light than those who stay? Not talking about a kid who is buried in the depth chart looking for PT and not saying ill will is warranted, but what is the tenor regarding them as Cowboys? If a kid plays for four years then leaves, how would it be received if when he goes to the draft he calls himself something other than a Cowboy/lists his school as something other than OSU?
Have grad transfers ever been looked down upon? Especially if they gave us 4 years? Because that is what it essentially is, they just "enter the portal" to accomplish the same thing they did before.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Have grad transfers ever been looked down upon? Especially if they gave us 4 years? Because that is what it essentially is, they just "enter the portal" to accomplish the same thing they did before.

Yes. Any starter who tells us, "nah, I don't wanna be here" is persona non grata to me. I'm probably on the far end of the spectrum, but guys like Daniels, JBC, & McAlister can .....go away and not ever come back. I cleaned that last line up considerably before typing it.