Portal News

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
There's been a couple OL jump on the portal recently. A center (think starter) at WSU a couple weeks ago, and yesterday depth guys at MSU and Tenn (guy already has an offer from USC).

Have we given up on the portal or are we trying to replace depth guys we've lost this off-season? I've been expecting a lot more action either in the portal or in recruiting for 2022 for the o-line.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Some of the posters here appear less than excited about G Gundy as the provisional QB2. FWIW, the DC at TTech told RA that GGundy was the best prospect they evaluated during that recruiting cycle but decided against recruiting him for obvious reasons. I have no problem with him as QB2 until proven otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2006
There's been a couple OL jump on the portal recently. A center (think starter) at WSU a couple weeks ago, and yesterday depth guys at MSU and Tenn (guy already has an offer from USC).

Have we given up on the portal or are we trying to replace depth guys we've lost this off-season? I've been expecting a lot more action either in the portal or in recruiting for 2022 for the o-line.
We just offered a high 3 star in state olineman for the 2022 class.

We have 6 returning lineman who have started games here at OSU plus 2 more guys (Webber and Etienne) who many expect to take over at tackle next year. We're having a hard time getting a transfer to come in with no guaranteed path to PT. I'm pretty sure the only transfer offer we have at OL right now is the monster from Sam Houston. But like you said, there's new guys in the portal every day and a long time until summer.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

We have 6 returning lineman who have started games here at OSU plus 2 more guys (Webber and Etienne) who many expect to take over at tackle next year. We're having a hard time getting a transfer to come in with no guaranteed path to PT. I'm pretty sure the only transfer offer we have at OL right now is the monster from Sam Houston. But like you said, there's new guys in the portal every day and a long time until summer.
We may have offered the OL from Rutgers. Not sure though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
Can someone explain why we are looking at pulling in another WR in the 2022 class? We have three already and had 3 or 4 true Freshman playing this past season. The room is young as is and I dont see the need for a 4th true Freshman next season.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Can someone explain why we are looking at pulling in another WR in the 2022 class? We have three already and had 3 or 4 true Freshman playing this past season. The room is young as is and I dont see the need for a 4th true Freshman next season.
You don't turn down talent if you can get it. Plus it is not fully known if Braydon Johnson is coming back or not for his super senior year so we might have a spot there.

Oct 29, 2016
US
In addition to the above poster, I'd like to add that we need all the WR's we can get. In case anyone was 100% blind, we are in dire need for WR talent. We had only one WR the previous season worth a darn. Others were basically non-existent.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2016
Gotham City
In addition to the above poster, I'd like to add that we need all the WR's we can get. In case anyone was 100% blind, we are in dire need for WR talent. We had only one WR the previous season worth a hill of beans. Others were basically non-existent.

DIRE NEED!? I wear contacts but I'm not blind. Presley, Bray, Green twins, JPR... they are all young but don't insult those guys, we have talent. Ofcourse we will always welcome more talent but what we are in DIRE NEED of is a healthy offensive line and consistent quarterback play. The reason we are not the oSu offense of the past has nothing to due with the talent at WR.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX

I agree. Two main reasons why players enter the portal: either more/better chance at PT or NIL possibilities. A very few are looking at grad school possibilities or just a change in scenery their last year.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
In addition to the above poster, I'd like to add that we need all the WR's we can get. In case anyone was 100% blind, we are in dire need for WR talent. We had only one WR the previous season worth a darn. Others were basically non-existent.
Do you watch the games?

Last Year: OSU had around 24% of WR WR yards returning from 2020 for the 2021 season and it turned out all right (about half of those 2020 yards were Braydon Johnson and he only had 2yds in 2021).

For 2022: OSU has around 63% of the WR yards returning

Returning players with 2021 stats:
Brennan Presley 50-619
Blaine Green 21-314
Rashod Owens 17-257
Jaden Bray 13-250
JP Richardson 23-168
Bryson Green 12-139

They are young, but very talented. We will be able to find 3-4 solid contributors from this list.

Plus incoming Freshmen: Talyn Shettron and Mason Gilkey
Talyn had great reviews from the Under Armour All American event.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Do you watch the games?

Last Year: OSU had around 24% of WR WR yards returning from 2020 for the 2021 season and it turned out all right (about half of those 2020 yards were Braydon Johnson and he only had 2yds in 2021).

Brennan Presley 50-619
Blaine Green 21-314
Rashod Owens 17-257
Jaden Bray 13-250
JP Richardson 23-168
Bryson Green 12-139

They are young, but very talented. We will be able to find 3-4 solid contributors from this list.

Apparently, have to be uber specific on message boards. Don't take non-existent literally. We clearly need a big time WR, our offense depends on it, especially with Warren gone. We had only one of those ala Martin. He's also gone. There's not one other WR on our roster who even came close to being that next "star" WR that our offense always depends on.

Presley looks to be the only WR capable of potentially being that guy. Had it not been for Martin, we would've been a one-dimensional offense, well, much more than the offense already was. The Big 12 Championship was the prime example. That's because we don't have that much talent on the field, in the WR department. With the exception of Martin, our WR's had a hard time separating from secondaries.

And yes, I did watch the games. Those stats mean nothing, other than we had some WR's with stats. I watch games very closely. I watch each group to determine our weaknesses. Without Warren, this season would have not been as successful as it was. Sanders had nobody to throw it to most of the time. Although young, we do not have good talent at the WR position. Good enough to be that guy. Again, Presley may eventually be that guy. No one else even came close.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
Do you watch the games?

Brennan Presley 50-619
Blaine Green 21-314
Rashod Owens 17-257
Jaden Bray 13-250
JP Richardson 23-168
Bryson Green 12-139

This is my point. They were all young and had massive growth as the year went on. It was UGLY at the start of the season, in the end after they got healthy and some game time experience they showed a lot if potential. Give them another year and they are gonna be solid.

When you have 4+ guys that you trust that all have 3 more years of eligibility and are adding another 3 in the following class, I would think they'd want to spread that out a bit to the next class not this class.

Not saying don't take anyone but to take away scholarship from the o-line that lost 5 guys this year by graduation and transfer (if I'm counting correctly I'm my head) to give it to an incoming Freshman in a room that's that young already... just doesn't make sense to me. The Oline has been thin for years, find another Sills or Godlevske (hope I spelled that right) to give some depth for next year and get more Freshmen for the following seasons.

I dont see the no path to playing time available comment. Not after we've been that thin for that long. But maybe I'm just blind.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
JBC to LSU
https://twitter.com/lsufootball/status/1486379795940134913?s=21
Not a fan of our new reality as a feeder program for the blue bloods. And just think, this is only year 1. I'd guess by year 5, as soon as someone blows up, they'll start sitting out the rest of the season until they can transfer to an LSU or Bama for increased exposure. I guess recruiting high character guys who understand loyalty will become even more important going forward.