Portal News

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 19, 2006
In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason. Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance.

Here are several facts about this rule:
– This new rule was voted in by the universities of the “Power 5” conferences – the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, and SEC, as well as Notre Dame. This rule must be followed by these 65 universities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough. Coaches aren’t literally pulling scholarships. But it’s hard to believe all of the transfer activity going on right now is literally a function of players deciding to look for greener pastures on their own.

If a coach believes a player isn’t going to get PT, they’re having that conversation. It’s in the best interests of both parties. How aggressive are coaches pursuing those discussions? Only the players and their families know. That stuff shouldn’t be out in the open.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Fair enough. Coaches aren’t literally pulling scholarships. But it’s hard to believe all of the transfer activity going on right now is literally a function of players deciding to look for greener pastures on their own.

If a coach believes a player isn’t going to get PT, they’re having that conversation. It’s in the best interests of both parties. How aggressive are coaches pursuing those discussions? Only the players and their families know. That stuff shouldn’t be out in the open.
It will be...internet and all...social media and all. I'm sure it's done in a sensitive manner and if young men what to stay in a program and school because they like their major or the environment...I'd bet they can because those team members provide for the culture that we talk about so much. Culture being the guy who makes his grades and does the right things not only in practice but off the field.

Jan 6, 2007
Jackson Hole, WY
Since we are losing most of our RB maybe Dez will change his mind and return next year. He could have a Warren like year if he returns!
Think Dez would probably like to remove himself from being oSu's "inches short" RB. If that's the case, spending his final year starting fresh somewhere else and getting lots of successful playing time w/o that constant shadow.....would certainly be understandable to me.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Jaxon Player to Baylor....that DL for them is flat out filthy

https://twitter.com/jaxon_player/status/1482880484627648523?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

They have to be the favorite to win the Big12 next season.
This was were he was going all along. Waco kid wanting to go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Baylor only has like 7 total returning starters (total O and D). They have to replace lot.
Several of their 2021 seniors have announced they will return for the 2022 season since 2020 didn’t count against player eligibility due to COVID-19 interruptions, kept a majority of their coaching staff in tact and have done very well in the portal.

Aug 19, 2006
but they were in his final 3…I assume there was a connection somewhere. Let’s just hope we can put together a OL to compete with baylors DL
Wonder if Evers announcing his return took us out of the running. Did we still have a spot available on the DL given the overall roster limit?

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Wonder if Evers announcing his return took us out of the running. Did we still have a spot available on the DL given the overall roster limit?
I don’t think Evers had anything to do with it. We’ve been looking to add a DT since Jernigan left. We have room for several portal guys but how many is the question

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I don’t think Evers had anything to do with it. We’ve been looking to add a DT since Jernigan left. We have room for several portal guys but how many is the question
And Antwine only made the need bigger.

It’s a tough spot because the talent at that position in the portal does not seem nearly as strong as other positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk