Portal News

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Probably a thread somewhere this might be more appropriate but I am lazy so will just drop it here.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...st-Facilities-Top-Program-Features-180622138/

The 88 kids at the recent Under Armor HS All American Game were questioned about a lot of things including, " Which school has the best facilities that you have seen?". I am going to temper this with the fact I have no knowledge (nor inclination to research) if any kids selected for the game have been offered by OSU or visited, but OSU did not make the top 12. OU was one of the five teams tied for 8th.

More depressing, 17 other schools received votes and OSU??

Not listed.

Kids ranked Indiana, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, even AIR FORCE, but not a single mention of our facilities. What was once gold has apparently turned...again, assuming at least a few kids who were at the game took a recruiting trip to Stillwater
There was one player that signed with OSU - Taylyn Shettron. Not sure any others visited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I don’t really think Williams as a player is that big of a loss. This portal entry was rumored for a while and it seemed to be a pretty popular take that he was going to get passed up by younger guys after another spring and summer of training. Kind of why I was so bummed about Bennett. But I think the same will go for Eli Russ who should hopefully operate as the first back up guard. Assuming we get the tackles figured out. One thing I’ll never really get about Williams was why he wasn’t playing center. He played center early on in his career here before transitioning away from it, he was recruited as a center. I think he definitely could have been an upgrade over Michalski last year if he could execute the snap.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
I don’t really think Williams as a player is that big of a loss. This portal entry was rumored for a while and it seemed to be a pretty popular take that he was going to get passed up by younger guys after another spring and summer of training. Kind of why I was so bummed about Bennett. But I think the same will go for Eli Russ who should hopefully operate as the first back up guard. Assuming we get the tackles figured out. One thing I’ll never really get about Williams was why he wasn’t playing center. He played center early on in his career here before transitioning away from it, he was recruited as a center. I think he definitely could have been an upgrade over Michalski last year if he could execute the snap.
Haven't heard anything about Eli Russ since he got here. This is his 3rd year right? Any word how he's come along so far?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Can anyone give a summary of portal wins and losses at this point? Who's on it from OSU and who have we picked up. It's strange to think about, but I guess it's important to know since it's become what it is. Are we set to be robbed by other programs or will we overall be able to keep making the finds we have with transfers? How are we going to remaining competitive...and gain an advantage in this new age?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Like in 2021?

Umm, no in this coming season...who's in the portal...who do we have our eyes on coming in or leaving? I know last year we were able to pick up Warren and Tay Martin the year prior. and in the last decade we have had lots of productive transfers, most prior to the portal being a thing. Just wonder how it works, what advantages there are for us and what we have to think about. Is there a dead period for the portal? Is a signing period in play for portal players...Just an overall...here's how it works bullet points from someone in the know?

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Haven't heard anything about Eli Russ since he got here. This is his 3rd year right? Any word how he's come along so far?
Just the nature of being a young OL… redshirt his first year and injuries this yea. But like Shane, if you think about it, it’ll be his RS freshman year as his 3rd year on campus.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Like in 2021?

Umm, no in this coming season...who's in the portal...who do we have our eyes on coming in or leaving? I know last year we were able to pick up Warren and Tay Martin the year prior. and in the last decade we have had lots of productive transfers. Just kind of wonder who it works, what advantages there are for us and what we have to think about. Is there a dead period for the portal? Is a signing period in play for portal players...Just an overall...here's how it works bullet points from someone in the know.
We haven’t picked anyone up yet. We will, but this year was always going to be a net loss with how many extra bodies over the 85 scholarships we were due to guys like Blake Martin, Evers, Braydon Johnson, Tyler Lacy, and JBC.

We’ve lost:
McCalister - (Grad transfer) Ohio State
Jernigan - (positional dispute) Mizzou
Monroe Mills - (processed) Tech
Hunter Anthony - (not processed but not starting) Nebraska
Cade Bennet - (disputed if processed) San Diego St.
Tyrese Williams - (disputed if processed) ???
Gabe Lemmons - (Processed) ???
Matt Polk - (Processed) ???
Dez Jackson - (Processed) ???

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
We’re still probably going to lose more guys, on offense Bullock and Shepherd I’d expect to graduate in the spring and be gone. I’m curious how the staff is looking at one or 2 other younger guys who don’t seem to be factoring in at all.

Defense is more cloudy. More special teams guys over there, but there are some mid depth guys I’m curious if they’ll stick.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We haven’t picked anyone up yet. We will, but this year was always going to be a net loss with how many extra bodies over the 85 scholarships we were due to guys like Blake Martin, Evers, Braydon Johnson, Tyler Lacy, and JBC.

We’ve lost:

What does "processed" mean?

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

We’ve lost:

What does "processed" mean?
Told that they should look elsewhere

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

So are schools using the portal to "cut" kids that they don't think are going to work out, to make scholarship room for better players? That's a interesting twist that I don't think people think about at all. So being processed...as you just described it, isn't really a good thing or in the student athletes' control even? It's more like being told, hey you aren't working out...maybe you need to transfer?

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

So are schools using the portal to "cut" kids that they don't think are going to work out, to make scholarship room for better players?
I mean… the portal is just an online list, coaches cutting kids who aren’t good enough has been happening as long as there was an 85 scholarship limit. It’s just been exasperated after Covid because of all the 5th 6th year players who can now stick around for extra eligibility.

Aug 19, 2006
So are schools using the portal to "cut" kids that they don't think are going to work out, to make scholarship room for better players? That's a interesting twist that I don't think people think about at all. So being processed...as you just described it, isn't really a good thing or in the student athletes' control even? It's more like being told, hey you aren't working out...maybe you need to transfer?
That’s has always happened. The portal has just seemed to accelerate it. Now more than ever scholarships are a year-to-year deal. If coaches think you’re not going to see the field, they’ll free up that spot and fill it with someone out of the portal.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That’s has always happened. The portal has just seemed to accelerate it. Now more than ever scholarships are a year-to-year deal. If coaches think you’re not going to see the field, they’ll free up that spot and fill it with someone out of the portal.
Power 5 schools adopted a 4 or 5 year scholarship model like 6 or 7 years ago. It was a big deal at the time and a move away from the year to year scholarship model.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Power 5 schools adopted a 4 or 5 year scholarship model like 6 or 7 years ago. It was a big deal at the time and a move away from the year to year scholarship model.
I don’t think this is correct. I know they can, but I don’t think they do. Back when those Northwestern athletes tried to start a union this was the number 1 demand in their list.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason. Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance.

Here are several facts about this rule:
– This new rule was voted in by the universities of the “Power 5” conferences – the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, and SEC, as well as Notre Dame. This rule must be followed by these 65 universities.