Portal News

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I guess if the happy ending of 25% that find a landing spot outweighs the unfortunate outcome for 75% who’s dreams end along with the remainder of their free education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You still don't get it, it's about all of them having options now.
I get the options argument. We could also give our toddlers the option to go play in the street. Sometimes you have to have rules to save people from their own poor decisions.
My empathy for the losers in the “portal roulette” game outweighs any sense of happiness I feel for the winners. But that’s just me.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I get the options argument. We could also give our toddlers the option to go play in the street. Sometimes you have to have rules to save people from their own poor decisions.
My empathy for the losers in the “portal roulette” game outweighs any sense of happiness I feel for the winners. But that’s just me.

I'm for letting adults make decisions about things that affect their lives directly. You'd rather limit their options in the name of the 'losers.' Fair enough.

Your stance absolutely fails to address the inequities that have existed in this system for years upon years. Were you ever worried about the 'losers' in the old system who had coaches recruit them and promise the world, then leave for another job?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I'm for letting adults make decisions about things that affect their lives directly. You'd rather limit their options in the name of the 'losers.' Fair enough.

Your stance absolutely fails to address the inequities that have existed in this system for years upon years. Were you ever worried about the 'losers' in the old system who had coaches recruit them and promise the world, then leave for another job?
Did I say get rid of the portal? Did I say there shouldn’t be an option to transfer? No an no.

I just think the current rules which is in essence unfettered free agency with no recourse for unwanted athletes is harmful to the sport and results in mostly bad outcomes for the kids (yes, kids) it’s supposed to help.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
https://twitter.com/cadealanbennett/status/1482008648268140546?s

Cade to San Diego St. I thought he was going to end up at USC or Arizona. Looks like I was wrong and it was more of processing than I thought if he couldn’t land at a P5.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Did I say get rid of the portal? Did I say there shouldn’t be an option to transfer? No an no.

I just think the current rules which is in essence unfettered free agency with no recourse for unwanted athletes is harmful to the sport and results in mostly bad outcomes for the kids (yes, kids) it’s supposed to help.

All they have to do is reinstate a one year sit-out period. Just make it to where it doesn’t impact their total eligibility or the new teams scholarship count for that season.

I think that would stop most of the hopping but give the guys that want to be in a different situation a way to do so.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa

Cade to San Diego St. I thought he was going to end up at USC or Arizona. Looks like I was wrong and it was more of processing than I thought if he couldn’t land at a P5.

I’d go to San Diego State in a heartbeat. Great school in a beautiful city with perfect weather and awesome beaches, rent free. It’s regarded as one of the top party schools in the country. The campus is absolutely loaded with smoke-shows.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma

good school….coaches by Brady hoke which they love the run the ball…probably more likely to see the field than a P5.

Aug 7, 2006
I’d go to San Diego State in a heartbeat. Great school in a beautiful city with perfect weather and awesome beaches, rent free. It’s regarded as one of the top party schools in the country. The campus is absolutely loaded with smoke-shows.
Yeah, San Diego State seems like a no-brainer to me... They're also opening their new stadium this year, so that's kinda cool.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

All they have to do is reinstate a one year sit-out period. Just make it to where it doesn’t impact their total eligibility or the new teams scholarship count for that season.

I think that would stop most of the hopping but give the guys that want to be in a different situation a way to do so.
I agree, that’s one way to tweak it. But there also needs to be a provision to protect the kids if a HC leaves, a program is put on probation, etc…