Poll:Who would you prefer the Big12 pursue as a media partner long term?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Who would you prefer the Big12 pursue as a media partner long term?

• Total voters
Jun 20, 2013
Curious to see what folks think is the best platform. I think a few of them bring quite a lot to the table, and one or two I'd run to the SEC if I heard that was who we were trusting with the future of our conference.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Where is the option for CBS (maybe NBC) as tier one, Fox and/or ESPN tier two, and ESPN for tier three? No multi line item discounts available. Maximum amount for each tier.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
IMHO, CBS by far provides the best college football production product to which I would like OSU to be a part of. But it’s not happening so never mind, I’ll just leave it at a vote.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
IMHO, CBS by far provides the best college football production product to which I would like OSU to be a part of. But it’s not happening so never mind, I’ll just leave it at a vote.
As long as there is no danielson. He doesn’t know what anything is past 1972

OSUIvan

Wrangler
Jan 29, 2004
Owasso
Obviously who ever is the highest bidder haha, but NBC/CBS would be best option for the Big12 because ESPN/Fox is going to give SEC/Big 10 all the good time slots, and ESPN still has a contract with the ACC as well. It will be interesting to see if any of the streaming services (amazon/youtube/apple) jumps into the game this time around or if they wait until the next round of contracts.

(just want to point out that Bally and Fox are not tied together at all any more, Fox sports regionals were sold to ESPN and they were required to sell them, and they were sold to Sinclair who sold the naming rights to Bally)

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Didn't want to overly complicate it. If you had to pick one partner, who would it be.
CBS or NBC

I was mostly joking in my post, though serious about my selections. So CBS or NBC. Don’t care which. Need to have a spot for our games for multiple windows during the day on Saturday. Fox and ESPN will be mostly pushing their big money conferences.

Then make sure we have nonstreaming options for our tier two stuff. Then a solid streaming partner for tier three. Preferably ESPN+ since it is already established.

Jul 7, 2010
South Windsor, CT
Amazon makes the most sense to me. I am guessing they are going to end up with Sunday Ticket for NFL games. They are already in on Thursday night games. They arent afraid to take chances and make the broadcasts more fun for the next generation. And they clearly arent afraid to spend in order to get into the only thing left that is actually appointment viewing: sports.

It is estimated that by 2025, another 25 million users will be getting rid of cable all together. My hope is that the Big 12 is the first to fully take advantage of the future of streaming. I get it might hurt us in the short term, taking away the random viewer who flips through the channels and sees the logo and stops to watch - but I cannot imagine that makes up a huge amount of our audience anyway.

Additionally, Amazon wouldn't set it and forget it. Our logo, and the logos of all Big 12 schools, would feature heavily on Amazon Prime video and throughout Amazon's website, which had 2.4 billion views in May of 2022 alone.

The way to beat the SEC and Big 10 isnt to try to copy their formula at another network - it is to try to think strategically and take some risks. The opportunity at Amazon, if they want it and are willing to pay, is just too big.