Pokes in the Byron

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 20, 2013
Hey guys, I'm trying to see how many signatures I can get of former OSU golfers playing in the Byron Nelson this week. Below is my list. Let me know if I left any out.

Bo Van pelt
Rickie Fowler
Charles Howell III
Peter Uihlein
Hunter Mahan
Kris Ventura
Kevin Tway
Taylor Gooch

It's a shame Hovland and Wolff aren't in the field, but pretty exciting to get to see a handful of these golfers for the first time.

Sep 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Hey guys, I'm trying to see how many signatures I can get of former OSU golfers playing in the Byron Nelson this week. Below is my list. Let me know if I left any out.

Bo Van pelt
Rickie Fowler
Charles Howell III
Peter Uihlein
Hunter Mahan
Kris Ventura
Kevin Tway
Taylor Gooch

It's a shame Hovland and Wolff aren't in the field, but pretty exciting to get to see a handful of these golfers for the first time.
Hopefully Wolff gets his game back soon and he doesn’t go the way of Mahan. Crazy how quickly ones game can fall apart.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Hopefully Wolff gets his game back soon and he doesn’t go the way of Mahan. Crazy how quickly ones game can fall apart.
Mahan decided that having a family and spending as much time with them as possible while they were young was more important to him than being a great golfer. He had already won enough money to be comfortable for the rest of his life.

Then his sister in law got cancer and he decided it was more important to be with her family in time of need. Now he’s starting to play again. Don’t be surprised if he comes back to play really well for the rest of his career and if not. He will be ok with the decisions he has made.

Jun 20, 2013
It'll be real interesting to see if Rickie takes a similar path with Marriage, and eventually a kid. I think that's one of the things that makes him a great guy, is that he cares about people. I wonder if golf will fall by the wayside.

Aug 16, 2012
Do not think these two are anything even remotely the same as for their situation. Mahan's career decisions were outlined by @NattyPoke . I really hope they are wrong, but I heard rumblings of Wolff "living the big life" with the newfound fame and money coupled with the mental aspects of dealing with pressure on the tour. Even if true, hope those around him help him to get his head on straight and he rights the ship. Even when he is not winning he is just so much fun to watch.

Aug 16, 2012
Also, does clark claim us since he transferred to Oregon?
Pretty sure he is very forthcoming about his Stillwater days being great but at the end of the day, you have to say you are from one place or the other and since he graduated from Oregon, they get the nod.

Sep 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Do not think these two are anything even remotely the same as for their situation. Mahan's career decisions were outlined by @NattyPoke . I really hope they are wrong, but I heard rumblings of Wolff "living the big life" with the newfound fame and money coupled with the mental aspects of dealing with pressure on the tour. Even if true, hope those around him help him to get his head on straight and he rights the ship. Even when he is not winning he is just so much fun to watch.
Totally respect Hunter for his choices, but he is irrelevant in golf and I don’t see that changing. Hopefully Wolff can get his game back. That swing makes me question his staying power.

Aug 16, 2012
Totally respect Hunter for his choices, but he is irrelevant in golf and I don’t see that changing. Hopefully Wolff can get his game back. That swing makes me question his staying power.
BTW, he just withdrew from the upcoming PGA Championship next week. Porter has a pretty decent recap of his struggles this year on the CBS site. One surprising takeaway from the article, Porter states Wolff has the worst driving numbers of anyone in the top 150 right now.

Dec 7, 2006
Pretty sure he is very forthcoming about his Stillwater days being great but at the end of the day, you have to say you are from one place or the other and since he graduated from Oregon, they get the nod.
The Oklahoma State Golf twitter account does a weekly preview of Pokes playing on the PGA and never includes Clark. So for what it's worth, they don't claim him (not that they need to to have a full portfolio).

Jun 20, 2013
As is stands right now the cut line is at -5, but still a good bit of golf today. The wind got going a little around noon, but seems to have laid down a bit. With all the moisture we've gotten in the past week, the course doesn't have a ton of defense right now, especially with them not being able to grow the rough after the snow storm in Feb.

Clark -10
CH3 -9
Noren -8
Fowler -5

Missing Cut
BVP -4
Tway -4 through 8
Gooch -4 through 3
Ventura - 4
Uihlein -3
Mahav -3