Playing FCS opponents?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OranGE-KK

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 11, 2011
Pretty sure your #6 is why #7 hasn't been happening. Seems pretty clear they are limiting his snaps to ease him back into action before the meat of the schedule.

Oct 30, 2007
Think of it as an extra bye week to get/stay healthy.
Plus, all of the guys who practice every day and don't get to play the rest of the season, get to play football in front of the big crowd. (I enjoyed seeing our back up QB's/RB's) And we are going to need some of those guys as the year wears on.

Additionally, it's a win. And at the moment, OSU still has to go undefeated to be playoff eligible.

Look at the SEC's schedule late in the season. They always add in a similar 'pseudo-bye' week to get healthy before their final games.

Completely understand why some fans don't like these games, but it's good for the program.
The Big 12's been asleep at the wheel for some time now in not copying the SEC's model here. Not only have we been playing an extra conference game-& nobody cares or gives any credit for that, we don't give our teams the same break and chance to heal up in late October/early November. It's dumb.

You've also got the change in redshirt rules from a few years back that gives you alot more flexibility in playing those young guys, but saving their redshirt if needed.
Wrong, it would simply multiply the narrative against the big12. Not that it matters. Once it is 12 playoff no team outside Big10 or sec will get at large or ND I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
This. Why do we keep asking this question. When someone backs out, this is all that is left to replace them.
I don't believe this is a true statement...

* We have scheduled a "non-major" opponent in 14 of the last 18 years.
* We have scheduled "non-major" opponents for '23/24/26/27/28 upcoming.

There's a lot more "intent" in those numbers than just the random cancellation substitution.

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I have no problem with it. The positives outweigh the negatives. What we really need to do, once we get back to 12 teams in the conference, is go back to an 8 game conf schedule so we're able to keep games like this and add another (semi) quality non-con.

I'd like to see us copy the sec model step for step. 8 conference games and play some of them early....and 4 non-cons; one lower division gimme, two mid level opponents and one top level opponent.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
2023 - Central Arkansas.
2024 - S. Dakota St
2026 - Murray St
2027 - Western Illinois
2028 - SE Louisiana.

My season tickets are roughly $750 per game. If YOU were paying that amount of money for season tickets, would you want to spend it watching that list of teams?

I'm telling you I would rather see Rice/No Texas/UTSA/UTEP/Texas St/New Mexico St than those teams....

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
2023 - Central Arkansas.
2024 - S. Dakota St
2026 - Murray St
2027 - Western Illinois
2028 - SE Louisiana.

My season tickets are roughly $750 per game. If YOU were paying that amount of money for season tickets, would you want to spend it watching that list of teams?

I'm telling you I would rather see Rice/No Texas/UTSA/UTEP/Texas St/New Mexico St than those teams....
I get your point, but it doesn't really apply to the pricing structure of season ticket packages in sports. When I had Broncos season tickets I wasn't real fired up about paying regular prices for the preseason either, but I didn't have an option if I wanted the season package.

Dec 3, 2012
My mind on the subject changed several years ago when I listened to an interview with an FCS athlete. When asked his favorite football memory, he recalled the day he walked onto the field at a major P5 school to play a game in front of 60,000+ fans (his team lost by a huge amount).

I'm in favor of granting lifetime memories to student athletes. Those on our team who will rarely see the field in their four years of training, and those of the other team who may play their one-and-only game in front of a crowd the size of BPS.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I'd be for a rule of one FCS opponent every season, or even every other season - but ONLY if it applied to all conferences. As noted above, it's important to the FCS budgets and a trip for the players, so I'd hate to see it go away altogether.