Playing FCS opponents?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Under Gundy, OSU has played 14 games against FCS opponents. You know the schools... Missouri St, Montana St, Lamar, Savannah, Central Ark, Ark Pine Bluff, etc...

We've won all 14 games by an average score of 49-10.

Is there any point for us to be playing these kind of games anymore? I mean why not schedule a New Mexico St? An FBS school which is independent and always looking to fill slots on their future schedules. Army is another independent. I'd love to do a home/home with Army and get a chance to visit West Point to watch an OSU football game. Texas St, UTEP, Rice, and North Texas St are near by FBS Schools. I just wish we could be a little more "big time" with our nonconference scheduling.

As a fan, I just really don't enjoy the annual drubbing of a lower division team anymore.'

Am I alone in this?

Last edited:

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Under Gundy, OSU has played 13 games against FCS opponents. You know the schools... Missouri St, Montana St, Lamar, Savannah, Central Ark, Ark Pine Bluff, etc...

We've won all 13 games by an average score of 49-10.

Is there any point for us to be playing these kind of games anymore? I mean why not schedule a New Mexico St? An FBS school which is independent and always looking to fill slots on their future schedules. Army is another independent. I'd love to do a home/home with Army and get a chance to visit West Point to watch an OSU football game. Texas St, UTEP, Rice, and North Texas St are near by FBS Schools. I just wish we could be a little more "big time" with our nonconference scheduling.

As a fan, I just really don't enjoy the annual drubbing of a lower division team anymore.'

Am I alone in this?
Usually FCS gets scheduled when someone else backs out of a home and home.

Nov 18, 2010
Think of it as an extra bye week to get/stay healthy.
Plus, all of the guys who practice every day and don't get to play the rest of the season, get to play football in front of the big crowd. (I enjoyed seeing our back up QB's/RB's) And we are going to need some of those guys as the year wears on.

Additionally, it's a win. And at the moment, OSU still has to go undefeated to be playoff eligible.

Look at the SEC's schedule late in the season. They always add in a similar 'pseudo-bye' week to get healthy before their final games.

Completely understand why some fans don't like these games, but it's good for the program.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Plus, all of the guys who practice every day and don't get to play the rest of the season, get to play football in front of the big crowd. (I enjoyed seeing our back up QB's/RB's) And we are going to need some of those guys as the year wears on.

Additionally, it's a win. And at the moment, OSU still has to go undefeated to be playoff eligible.

Look at the SEC's schedule late in the season. They always add in a similar 'pseudo-bye' week to get healthy before their final games.

Completely understand why some fans don't like these games, but it's good for the program.
The Big 12's been asleep at the wheel for some time now in not copying the SEC's model here. Not only have we been playing an extra conference game-& nobody cares or gives any credit for that, we don't give our teams the same break and chance to heal up in late October/early November. It's dumb.

You've also got the change in redshirt rules from a few years back that gives you alot more flexibility in playing those young guys, but saving their redshirt if needed.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
As noted above, the SEC and other conferences regularly play one FSC non conference team every year. For example, A&M played Sam Houston to open the season. We have a hard enough time breaking into the top 10 without putting another tougher opponent on the schedule. Advantages:

- pay day for FSC teams; these games often finance their program
- allows us to look at a lot of starters, backups, and young players in a game environment
- good warmup for starters, usually just part of a game
- a consistent win to pad the resume

The SEC already gets one more non-conference game than the Big 12. They usually play one competitive opponent and three very winnable games, so they are already one win ahead of us every year. And they play one non conference game in the middle of the season, which is almost as good as another bye week. Let's not make it a two game non conference advantage by upping our competition.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022
Moore
I don't like these games, as I don't wanna have an injury to a key player because we left in too long,etc...I do however love the experience our youngsters get, and they deserve. Still, schedule some creampuffs Still, but a higher level. Again would love to see a North Texas, New Mexico, Buffalo, etc.. teams that we should get an easy win against 80% of the time, but still name enough to make us fans care.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
All I'm saying is we destroyed Ark-PB this week and we went down in the polls. Meaning (IMHO) beating a team like that is a no win scenario. You can't beat them enough to gain respect. So why play them?

The SEC knows they are in the polls/playoffs with or without another challenging nonconference match-up. It does them no harm to play an FCS team. You can't say what works for an SEC team has any correlation to what works for an Okla State (which very well might be different than even what works for an OU or Texas).

We are at a point as a program where we are fighting every week for credibility. I think we would be viewed more favorably by beating ANY FBS team (any of those I named above would work, even New Mexico St.) than beating a lower division team.

(IMHO)

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
All I'm saying is we destroyed Ark-PB this week and we went down in the polls. Meaning (IMHO) beating a team like that is a no win scenario. You can't beat them enough to gain respect. So why play them?

The SEC knows they are in the polls/playoffs with or without another challenging nonconference match-up. It does them no harm to play an FCS team. You can't say what works for an SEC team has any correlation to what works for an Okla State (which very well might be different than even what works for an OU or Texas).

We are at a point as a program where we are fighting every week for credibility. I think we would be viewed more favorably by beating ANY FBS team (any of those I named above would work, even New Mexico St.) than beating a lower division team.

(IMHO)
You're not wrong, but moving to a 12 team CFP changes this narrative a bit.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Gundy has said he will never schedule a game with any of the service academies and for good reason. They tend to not have the athletes needed to really compete on the lines so they normally resort to a lot more chop blocking (of the legal variety). This tends to cause a lot more leg injuries (especially knees) in their opponents. No reason to risk our players with that.

Nov 18, 2010

(IMHO)
The problem isn't OSU or its scheduling. The problem is opinion-based polls and SEC/blue blood bias. OSU and 80+ other teams will never be given blue blood credibility. That ship sailed 50 years ago.

Until the 12 team playoff starts, we have one path. An undefeated season. OSU and the 80+ other teams can ignore the polls because we must win every game or we're disqualified from the 4 team playoff.

We will have a legitimate path soon, with 12 teams. But even then, the polls will still be meaningless for OSU and most of the other power 5 (not SEC) teams.

Polls/credibility/opinions, that stuff just doesn't matter for us. We have to go undefeated. (But that's changing soon.)

Nov 6, 2010

Another potential positive would be an opportunity to introduce new fans to OSU through crazy promotions, free tickets to special organizations, etc. Not sure if we try that hard to do that kind of stuff, I guess it could probably hurt season ticket sales/pricing, not sure.

Mar 8, 2010
I love having one of these games each year. They are great for team morale as many players who practice their butts off every day in get an opportunity to put on a uniform and play a little. It also provides playing time for reserves that leads to depth. Blueboods have these games each year as well. What’s the problem?

Mar 11, 2006

(IMHO)
Financially, the game is probably very good for us. But I completely agree with you.

I am never a fan of scheduling a team without the resources to even come close to competing. They reminded me of Savannah State. I hope we stop scheduling FCS teams in the future.

That said,
1) The crowd was amazing for a game against a FCS team. Says a lot for what Gundy has done building the program.
2) The UAPB band was fun to watch. First, time I remember actually paying attention to a visitor band since A&M.
3) OSU came ready to play and didn't play down to the competition. Not easy.
4) Glad to see Collin Oliver starting. First two games he had limited series early in game.
5) If we need a game like that to show that true freshman Ollie Gordon and Tayln Shettron need more playing time then I am in. (kudos to Stephon Johnson as well)
6) Commend coaches for getting Sanders out early to not have a freak unnecessary injury. However, one more drive to allow him to pass over 300/yards would have been nice.
7) Trace Ford needs to be on the field as much as possible