Players opting out

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So, I completely understand any PAC12 or BIG player opting out this year with their seasons essentially canceled.

Also, maybe an NFL 1st round pick, who now has a convenient reason to not play and risk injury.

.But all the other opt-outs ?
If you are worried about family, you can just stay away from them for 3 months.

UCF lost 10 players this week alone.

Any thoughts if OSU may get hit with opt-out-its ? Will the promise of a special season keep everyone together ?

If a team suffers a loss and thus out of Conference or CFP contention, do you then see an uprising of number of opt-outs from that team ? (kind of like what Houston saw last year with manipulation of the red-shirt-rule).

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
So, I completely understand any PAC12 or BIG player opting out this year with their seasons essentially canceled.

Also, maybe an NFL 1st round pick, who now has a convenient reason to not play and risk injury.

Any thoughts if OSU may get hit with opt-out-its ? Will the promise of a special season keep everyone together ?

If a team suffers a loss and thus out of Conference or CFP contention, do you then see an uprising of number of opt-outs from that team ? (kind of like what Houston saw last year with manipulation of the red-shirt-rule).
From what I've heard even with all the stuff that went on this summer around the program, nobody has talked to any coaches about opting out of this season because of Covid. In fact Hubbard and Wallace specified that they came back in spite of the covid crap.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
I'm all for players opting out if they believe that's what is best for them, but I do think there should've been some sort of rule for a deadline when to do it by. I know it can't be exactly like the NFL, but some way to prevent players from just leaving the team in a lurch mid season. LSU keeps having players opt out, seems like it'd be tough on them. Especially now that players get the year of eligibility back, nothing is stopping them from opting out as soon as they don't feel like playing anymore.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I'm all for players opting out if they believe that's what is best for them, but I do think there should've been some sort of rule for a deadline when to do it by. I know it can't be exactly like the NFL, but some way to prevent players from just leaving the team in a lurch mid season. LSU keeps having players opt out, seems like it'd be tough on them. Especially now that players get the year of eligibility back, nothing is stopping them from opting out as soon as they don't feel like playing anymore.
A deadline that’s not enforceable is not a deadline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Actually, shouldn't the fact that the year won't count against them prevent MORE opt-outs ?

If they were to lose a year, then they could evoke the red-shirt rule and opt out mid-season (or before).
But if this season doesn't count against you then maybe more stay in ? They won't lose a year of eligibility on a bad/down year.

But yet, lots of opt-outs already.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Given the circumstances, you simply can't force anybody to play if they don't want to. There's really no way around that. It is what it is.

I do think the later a player makes that decision, the more upset fans are going to be about it. That is what it is as well.

Look at UGA. The had their presumed starting QB opt out this week. Fans are upset because he has taken practice reps away from the other guys for several weeks now. I can understand that. Also they certainly had a shot at a title, still do I guess, but fans gonna fan.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
There's a few dozen QBs in the BIG and PAC that would love to be UGA's starting QB this year . ..
The UGA kid wasn't even guaranteed to start, lol. They got an immediate transfer in JT Daniels from USC in May.

What's interesting with the kid opting out is that he's a Wake Forest transfer, with a mediocre career, but Todd McShay has him as the #6 QB this year. So, will opting out hurt his status there? I'm guessing so, but who knows.

Aug 7, 2006
The UGA kid wasn't even guaranteed to start, lol. They got an immediate transfer in JT Daniels from USC in May.

What's interesting with the kid opting out is that he's a Wake Forest transfer, with a mediocre career, but Todd McShay has him as the #6 QB this year. So, will opting out hurt his status there? I'm guessing so, but who knows.
Several people were high on him and thought he could be a second or third round pick depending on the season he had this year. He probably still gets drafted, but definitely not that high now.

Jul 23, 2018
USA

What does an opt-out look like from a practical standpoint? Is it like a covid redshirt? Still practice and lift with the team? Attend team meetings? Still eat at the training table? Walk the sidelines during games? Same roommate? If the only difference is that the opt-outers don't play in games or get meaningful practice reps, what are they being protected from?

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Exactly.
Several people were high on him and thought he could be a second or third round pick depending on the season he had this year. He probably still gets drafted, but definitely not that high now.
Projected as a mid-round pick.

Have to take him at his word for opting out, but given the last THREE #1 picks were mid-round projections going into their last year: Mayfield, Murray & Burrow, the kid's certainly risking a lot by not playing.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
What does an opt-out look like from a practical standpoint? Is it like a covid redshirt? Still practice and lift with the team? Attend team meetings? Still eat at the training table? Walk the sidelines during games? Same roommate? If the only difference is that the opt-outers don't play in games or get meaningful practice reps, what are they being protected from?
Good question, I had heard some talk that some teams are simply going with you are not a part of the program in any way till after the season, but not sure.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Everything I've read is if you opt out, you cannot be around the team. No practice, no trainers, different dorm, etc.