Petition Calls For Stillwater's 'Eskimo Joe's' To Change Its Name, Mascot

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Stan needs to start introducing Buffy as "Joe's Rescue Dog Buffy."
Actually, I looked at Joe's clothes website after the image you posted above and they have a pet rescue shirt that part of the proceeds go to the Humane Society. I'm going to buy one for my wife. She will love it. I guess they make a new rescue shirt every year. I haven't been to Joe's clothes in ages so I didn't know this was a thing they were part of.

I'm guessing some d***wad has probably already sent an email to the Humane Society trying to get them to disavow Eskimo Joes also.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Actually, I looked at Joe's clothes website after the image you posted above and they have a pet rescue shirt that part of the proceeds go to the Humane Society. I'm going to buy one for my wife. She will love it. I guess they make a new rescue shirt every year. I haven't been to Joe's clothes in ages so I didn't know this was a thing they were part of.

I'm guessing some d***wad has probably already sent an email to the Humane Society trying to get them to disavow Eskimo Joes also.
I don't have a problem with rescue dogs but I have sort of an issue with people introducing their dog as "their rescue dog" so and so when we meet walking our dogs on the street. It seems to be an weird attempt at somehow putting down those of us who have pure breeds. There is room for both rescues and pure breeds...I don't have an issue with rescues, think its great, just an issue with a perception I have of pure breed shaming...I love Beagles and know of a few rescues for them I need to check out in the future when I have some land and can get me a well maintained small pack of these wonderful hounds...

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
The issue is that they totally throw Stan Clark under this bus with their statement of why they are cutting ties. They had a very beneficial relationship with his company for years and now they are taking the position that he doesn't represent "integrity, compassion, courage, determination, and diversity?"
Ok and...?

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I don't have a problem with rescue dogs but I have sort of an issue with people introducing their dog as "their rescue dog" so and so when we meet walking our dogs on the street. It seems to be an weird attempt at somehow putting down those of us who have pure breeds. There is room for both rescues and pure breeds...I don't have an issue with rescues, think its great, just an issue with a perception I have of pure breed shaming...I love Beagles and know of a few rescues for them I need to check out in the future when I have some land and can get me a well maintained small pack of these wonderful hounds...
Let me introduce you to our rescue dogs.
BAFB5552-D004-4A9D-B131-FFE94C2A7614.jpeg

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Joes Election year T-Shirt...

"You ain't Eskimo if you don't vote for Joe!"
View attachment 85005
The Eskimo is a racist term exploiting Inuits, the flag represents centuries of oppression and slavery, the dog is an animal man has enslaved and domesticated for use removing them from their native environment, and Joe was a generic term used for military personnel in WW II (GI Joe), a war in which we killed millions.

Remember, if someone is offended, you should throw out a brand you spent your entire adult life building. Never mind that there are a bunch of young people today who literally look for things to offend them.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The Eskimo is a racist term exploiting Inuits, the flag represents centuries of oppression and slavery, the dog is an animal man has enslaved and domesticated for his own use removing them from their native environment, and Joe was a generic term used for military personnel in WW II (GI Joe), a war in which we killed millions.

Remember, if someone is offended, you should throw out a brand you spent your entire adult life building. Never mind that there are a bunch of young people today who literally look for things to offend them.
I assume you get that joke and that you know Biden's first name and his outright EXTREEMLY racist statements regarding Blacks , his implication that all black people are of one mindset and by extension cannot think for themselves? Right?

I'm also sure you know that if you look up Eskimo on Wikipedia, it's not a racist term unless someone decides that it is. I'm not arguing, because from your statement you are in agreement with me. Just figured someone who thinks it offensive might do a little research and maybe get a more nuanced opinion.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You fix the education system that is making people so hyper sensitive and dumbing down society to the point that they think that official people group names are offensive or that all formerly victimized groups were only victimized by white people...This is false, and those who think evil and victimization of other people groups didn't and doesn't exist in the history of ALL racial people groups are indeed ignorant of real history and have fallen for the culturally lie that the white man is somehow more evil because of past sins than other people groups and that we now must go to ridiculous lengths to prove otherwise. While it's ok and good to balance our history, it's not ok to go so far to one side that we lie to ourselves about it to self inflict unnecessary and inappropriate new wounds on a society and fail our future students of total history. This type of "progressivism" is actually a form of truth censorship.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

What does a rescue have to do with not being a pure read?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Nothing at all, you can rescue pure breeds just some folks don't know that and it's often not as easy to find. Others have problems with people who sell pure breed or other puppies. I don't have an issue with them. It's all good...I love dogs...cat's, lol, not so much even though I owned one for several years and he did keep my yard free of lawn destructive critters like moles. I miss that, but not the arrogance ;).

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Nothing at all, you can rescue pure breeds just some folks don't know that and it's often not as easy to find. Others have problems with people who sell pure breed or other puppies. I don't have an issue with them. It's all good...I love dogs...cat's, lol, not so much even though I owned one for several years and he did keep my yard free of lawn destructive critters like moles. I miss that, but not the arrogance ;).
But your entire rant was how rescue owners look down on pure bread owners. I think you’re seeing something that doesn’t exist.

My only real comment on the subject is that mixed breeds are far and away less prone to genetic disorders and generally lead healthier lives.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
We are big time rescue activists and are battling illicit puppy mills run by less than savory operators. We are also squarely in an 'adopt don't shop' mindset. However, a pet is a pet to us and all deserve our utmost love and care.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
But your entire rant was how rescue owners look down on pure bread owners. I think you’re seeing something that doesn’t exist.

My only real comment on the subject is that mixed breeds are far and away less prone to genetic disorders and generally lead healthier lives.

Maybe so "mostly"...but it is kind of funny/odd when folks introduce their dogs that way. I don't think it's a bad thing as long as they don't look down on others. I do know at least one person at work who runs a shelter and is pretty dang militant about it. I actually understand her...But She states directly that she cares more about animals than humans (also had a former female security guard who said same), so sadly, yes this strange mentality of misplaced priority it does exist pretty heavily actually in many in our society. A connector for both of these young women is abuse by family. So it's totally understandable. However these types also tend to want to save pets and unwanted animals, I agree with that stance and think it's important, just find them a little odd and quite sad regarding misplaced priority. The current sad state of the human condition has caused this misplacement.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
It's because you don't like virtue signaling, which is exactly what they're doing when they introduce their dog that way.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

Meh... it absolutely does exist.

I've raised, worked with, and trained a couple different pure breeds. I personally raise pure bred Australian Shepherds and I've been involved in training pure bred Golden Retrievers for service work and I've been railed on quite a few times for NOT utilizing rescue dogs in the service dog training. I have absolutely NOTHING against training mixed breed rescue animals for service type work, and many places do and I love that and fully support that. BUT the type of service that these Golden's are doing, we need to know everything about their genetic history... temperament, blood line disposition for health issues, etc... these are $15k + service animals that start training as 8 week old pups and are trained for 18+ months. Utilizing a rescue dog and not knowing how they were treated by a previous owner can be a hard obstacle to overcome... OR an issue could come up at a very inopportune time. OR you place a dog in to service after like 2 yrs of training, not knowing it's bloodlines health history, and get like 2 years of service out of it before a major health issue. This also happens with pure breeds, so it's not perfect, but when someone invests $15k in to a service animal, they're expecting like 8 yrs of service out of the animal and usually don't have the means to purchase one every 2-3 years. Thus, we utilize pure bred Golden's from handpicked, reputable breeders only. But they’re definitely people out there that are adamantly against this practice... I've ran in to them.

And I too am VERY anti-puppy mill breeder! Yes, there are some bad breeders out there... just like bad cops, and bad teachers, and bad doctors, etc...

Last edited: